1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic GE ++++ JULY 4th 2024 ++++ THE DAY'S OF RECKONING

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by realred1952, May 22, 2024.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Previous Labour government?
    I thought they were still blaming the 1970s Labour government, the unions and the winter of discontent!!!!!

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

the winter of discontent...........

No, that's on it's way in a few months time <laugh>

realred1952 and Red Squid like this.
  3. bcfcredandwhite

To be honest - I’ll stick my neck out here - I don’t think many people enthusiastically love the party they vote for - I certainly don’t. I vote for the party I hate the least.

But also … for me anyway - parties morph and evolve. Today’s Labour Party is very different to the Labour Party of the 1970s - and the Tories are different too. They fluctuate in their electability.

4. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

A more accurate comparison is; Look at it another way, City win with a stomping 4-0 score, but only have 37% possessions, ultimately all that matters is the 4-0 score line .

5. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Cooper must stand in front of the mirror practicing her most sad look. Then comes her voice sounding sooo incredibly pained.
    She's fake and woke.
    Tbf they're all taking us as fools, but she takes the biscuit.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  6. Angelicnumber16

Like Kamala Harris. The most obvious and useless DEI hire ever !!
    And the hilarious thing is, they can't get rid of her unless it's for another woman of colour (such as Michelle Obama) otherwise she'll play the race card.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
    Redprintt likes this.
  7. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

agree with that theory so tories had to generate £trns in income to overcome the debt inherited and all that involved with Covid / war / and inevitable inflation [ that struck dozens of countries BTW ] also numerous strike actions and demands for inflated wages [ which drive inflation ] but turned it all positive and the "crowd " [ electorate ] missed it! that is ............

8. AshtonRed

I was referring to the election win, as you well know

9. bcfcredandwhite

I get what AshtonRed is trying to say.

It’s the same in reverse with Brexit; Remainers claiming (reminding people) that Brexit only won 52% to 48% so it wasn’t that popular - and half of those who voted for it are now dead - but those diehard supporters who still kid themselves it isn’t **** point out that they still won 1-0 and a win is a win (or a horrendous loss in the case of Brexit)

First past the post…..

10. realred1952

yes I KNOW, it works both ways you / them /they see only one of the 2 sides! it is likely that a number of labour didnt bother as they assumed they would win, irrespective of number of seats ... 5m tory voters didnt [ actually closer to 9m! bearing in mind Reform ] they knew would be on losing side and maybe thought the double figure advantage was enough, although eroded, for certain tories to sneak back in! .....it didnt!

SAD thing is the present 3 generations have screwed it up ........

not very accurate assessment AT ALL BCRW! ... TURN OUT FOR BREXIT WAS 72% OF 46,500,000 ELIGIBLE and 1, 269,501 was the winning margin and to say near on 8,700,000 are now dead is a cheap throwaway!!

there was another 2,000,000 or so extra voters for the 2024 GE AND AROUND 28,900,000 Voted .....thats less by almost 4,700,000 that voted for brexit!............just shows how pathetic the 2024 GE was democratically wise ... people ignored it so it really is a weak result

11. AshtonRed

You missed the point. Which is all that matters is the result. In both cases, 4-0, and large majority. All the rest is just waffle.

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Facts are facta, Labour won,they are in charge, we must adapt to the democratic will, if they succeed we all win, if they fail out they go, the last mob, personally I think let us all down big time.

Starmer and his merry band have a lot to cope with but time will tell, if they are a bunch of liars or not but they have earned the right to govern and I have adjusted to it, I'm just waiting for the first tax rise and broken promise, it will be the Tories fault and Reeves is already preparing the ground to soften us all up but she will do it for the public good, very heroic.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
  13. AshtonRed

That’s fair, from my perspective I had to put up with nonsense that I didn’t want for year’s because the Tory’s won the right to rule. Now Labour has won that right and I get to have a government in power more in line with my beliefs, that’s democracy.

14. AshtonRed

Until Reform there was really only the Conservatives if your politics is right of centre.

If you’re left of centre there are several, Labour is the main one, but Lib Dem’s are centre left, green are as well. Plus in Scotland there is the SNP.

This time the advent of the Reform party has split the right vote. Plus many traditional Tory voters were fed up with their antics over the last few years. Add to that the Labour Party and the Lib Dem’s both targeted seats they thought they had a chance of winning, and the problems SNP had. The combination of all of these factors led to the massive win Labour achieved, it was a “perfect storm” really.

15. realred1952

We will soon find out ... the improvements and the downward spiral of inflation and interest rates need to be maintained ... knee jerk actions thinking that the present economy is a basis of "where labour will get its funding from" is not a money tree hidden behind 11 DOWNING STREET that can be plucked of a few million£'s everyday. there has been a gradual build up of funding to get a stable fiscal enviroment which up to 4th July everyone was beginning to benefit from ... so if not broken [ all the financial / fiscal institutions stated prior to GE UK heading for much better days regarding growth/ interest rates and lower inflation ] WHY TRY AND "MEND" it

16. AshtonRed

Let’s be honest it couldn’t get any worse. Pretty much everything is broken. The present government has to fix all the public services that have been starved of funding, they’ve one hell of a task on their hands, let’s hope for all our sakes they’re up to fixing the things ruined by the previous government.

17. Angelicnumber16

Giving above average pay rises to public sector workers isn’t going to help the national debt which is now running into trillions
    I’m all for people getting a fair pay rise, which is more than I got btw, but this is one area where they can prove they’re capable of damage limitation

18. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

At last, someone has spoken my language

19. AshtonRed

What, Welsh? <laugh><laugh>

20. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

That’s even foreign for you living in the Port.

AshtonRed likes this.