1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Gayle

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jun 16, 2018.

1. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I know, I don't mean next season I mean a few years down the line playing exactly the kind of role Costa is. He clearly isn't as good as Costa but if he develops his footballing brain (his speed isn't going to improve and I'd agree Serie A would be a good choice for him) he could play that role for a decent side.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  2. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

Would bite your arm off if we got €30m for the two but then who could you buy?We'd
    be left with Joselu and no back up :cheesy:

3. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Anyway it doesn't matter now, he's not going to be doing anything for us. I think we can all agree we want him to score a couple in the next couple of games for Serbia so we get a good price for him. He's not going to become a better or worse player over the next few weeks so lets hope he artificially plays at a level higher than most think he can.

p.s. as regards the difference between Gayle and Mitro. Gayle is a 28 year old who has had a few chances to prove himself in the Premiership and failed with a couple of clubs. Mitro is a 23 year old who got one chance back when he was 20 and struggled in a failing team. It's much easier to write the first off than the second, the truth is that both genuinely try hard but are limited - I just see more potential in the latter that's all (add in that Gayle is only likely to get worse now as he relies more on pace whereas Mitro is of a type who is still probably 3+ years from his peak).

4. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Its sad people think of players being sold for good money as a positive because youll see nothing of it then eventually well get relegated again.

magpie290761 and RobEllious like this.
  5. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Goals.

6. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

Mitro was not good today. For a player of his build he should have a similar game to Costa. He's got the tools. There is such a massive difference in how ruthless he is in front of goal though. That one in the centre of the goal where he ended up falling backwards he should easily have held off That defender and lashed it in. He seems to do lots of good hold up work outside of the box but as soon as he's in with a chance he flaps.

7. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

You're measured about it so fair enough. Mitro can come good eventually in some capacity, a team that plays around him and all that. But he doesn't work for Rafa and he isn't at the necessary ability to force a change around him. Don't see the point in having him sat here whilst we wait for things to come good, that's been half his frustration as it is. So yeah, potentially greater than Gayle.

When Mitro scores it becomes a Rafa bash, so it's worth remembering when he looks much like the player that left.

As much as I like the idea of his value going up, the amount that I generally see reinvested from big sales doesn't exactly fill me with excitmente

8. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Beat me to it!

9. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh!! The good old rose tinted glasses to slam our own players down! It took Diego Costa until roughly the same age as Mitro is now of playing 2 solid full seasons before he became the player he is now!

FFS give our own players a ****ing chance! No wait they're all ****! <doh>

10. Captainchaos.

Not all of them thats a bit ott mate

Warmir Pouchov and J. J. McClure like this.

11. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

How is it ott? Haven't we sold them all yet?

12. Captainchaos.

We have a side that can compete currently but mitro simply isnt good enough the premier league hes too slow in two ways.

We did and we will sell lacelles next then rafa will leave and we will get relegated again.

J. J. McClure and Flash like this.
  13. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There is a massive difference between a good PL striker and a good Championship striker. Mitro lacks both pace and the speed of thinking that a good PL striker needs.

14. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Just be lazy mate, **** potential, **** examples where patience has been rewarded, learn nothing from the past, don't bother trying to coach players to be better, just say they're all ****, sell them and buy success. I mean we clearly have the funds for this lavish process <whistle>

magpie290761 and Flash like this.
  15. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Slight complication here is we haven't even got the time for development either. We are hand-to-mouth in the PL and need players who can instantly take us up a notch so we can survive. Mitro isn't that guy.

16. Warmir Pouchov

I disagree. People simply don't want to commit to showing patience with young players who have talent and develop them because we don't have time. They don't want to wait to see how young players develop for fear of dropping out of the PL.

If we truly want a cultural change then you have to take some pain along the way. You have to accept that you won't be able to jump those notches instantly, but you'll find that with a little patience in few years time you can make that jump through endeavour.

Its nothing to do with that though. Rafa doesn't want him so its all a mute point really.

Its unpopular to criticise Rafa but I see him for what he is. He is another PL manager who cares little for development etc, and wants to be operating in the transfer bracket with the top clubs buying his way to success. Its a cultural thing within our league so he can't be blamed. Its the only way. Its what is so contradictory about the fans criticising Ashley for lack of funds and executives etc. They want it all. We don't have the money for it all. The anger has to go somewhere. We like Rafa so not him. I'm sure if the money was available he'd be happy to invest in development and play his part in it. However in our situation where its one or the other, Rafa is selfish like any other, he'd rather have it in his transfer budget.

Flash likes this.
  17. Geordieginola

Geordieginola Well-Known Member

I was just about to mention Costa following this thread to date. Costa is the same type of player as Mitrovic the difference is Costa is class and gets away with murder on the dance floor. If I was Mitro I would be studying his game to a T because the similarities in style of play are there. Just Costa is much better! Simple FACT!

I honestly think Mitro will develop though. This last two years of being benched by Rafa has probably significantly depressed his development process and simply needs to be playing to get that match sharpness in front of goal.

18. Warmir Pouchov

Look at Costa's record pre 2011 though. He was unheard of and looking an also ran until the age of 23-24. Some players take time to develop, and usually target men like Costa take a bit longer. Mitro is only 23. Look at Shearer's record pre 92. Again when he turned 23 having had a full season of experience, he really put it together. He looked really good but he gave no indication he was going to score 137 goals in his next 169 league games. Drogba had achieved very little before his break out season in France at 24. Luca Toni bounced around Serie C and B until 23-24. Going further back look at Toshack played 2nd division football (albeit very well) and never really hit the heights at Liverpool until his 2nd season there when he was 22-23.

Certain types of strikers take time to develop their game. Mitrovic is probably a better known name than say Costa was at the same age. He was probably further along in development. Often it is about learning how to use their body and overcome a lack of out and out pace. Shearer in his prime and Drogba probably had more of that natural pace to boot but the others didn't and found a way. I'm sure Mitrovic will come into his own at some point, it just won't be at Newcastle.

haslam and magpie290761 like this.
  19. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

Mitro's price just went up

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  20. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

Continuing to find his level