1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gardens

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Our Rhubarb is not even peeking out yet!

Had a quick survey yesterday and noticed that our tulips in the front have been eaten to soil level, so no tulips this year. Probably the local Roe Deer who would have been hungry with all the cold and snow. Left other stuff alone including the roses which they love. Could possibly be a pheasant or rabbits but have not seen a rabbit for a long time.

Spent over £200 on bird food in the last 12 months, went upmarket a bit quality wise to stop the stuff seeding everywhere. Seems to have worked as no weeds and less waste and what does get dropped gets picked up the the ground feeders. I have to move the feeder poles around the lawn as the grass underneath suffers from the constant trampling of hundreds of tiny feet - it's amazing how damage these light critters do, but it's worth it for the entertainment.

Careful with those slabs Leo, been there done that.

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Slabs were delivered and carefully manouevred into place. Makes access to the side of the greenhouse much better and gives me another route to head down the garden avoiding the swamp.
    Need to go to a garden centre as Mrs S is looking for a specific dahlia !! Rest day today so probably on the agenda for tomorrow

3. Scullion

I love Dahlias, they were one of the plants that got me into gardening as a kid. My next door neighbor grew lots and he gave me lots of advice and a few plants. In the end I got a chunk of my parents garden and grew nothing else! What plant is Mrs S after I wonder.

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rather later than usual, but the pear tree now has its white blossom in full show. We have a blue clematis with small bell like blooms that winds through it which is also in flower, and the two colours setting each other off looks very attractive.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

She wants a Rejmans Firecracker Scullion - I have no idea why this particular one!!
    Turned my three compost bins today
    Sunny all day and temps got up to16º

6. Scullion

Now that is my kind of Dahlia, right in your face!

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Fantastic to have some decent weather at last. Lots of tasks done - including second mowing of the year.
    Planted onions, potatoes, broad beans and peas and Mrs L has a geeenhouse full of goodness knows what.

8. Scullion

The heatwave has passed us by :angry:

9. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Now I remember why I said I would get rid of all those pots in the garden after a dry spell last summer.. Lots of daily watering to do.. Oh.... bring on the [emoji299] rain [emoji6]

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

:)
    We have dramatically cut down on the number of pots for just that reason.
    Went to a garden centre today and bought a bunch of stuff - for variuos pots, baskets and tubs !!! <doh>

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Only got to 19º today

12. Scullion

Today is the first day you might call warm here, even had a beer outside in the evening with Memsab, who never goes out unless it is warm.
    Agree about the pots, I have been cutting down on mine and acquired a timer for when we go away, which is useful for hot spells too, but you have to put all the pots in one place :emoticon-0141-whew:

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Immaculate gardens at the wedding venue on Saturday, much as you would expect with a team of full time gardeners. Checked to see if there was a weed in the large lawns and failed to find one.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

So long as you didn't weed the garden.

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Done a massive amount here the last few days - a bit of nice weather brings everything along splendidly.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I have two packets of pea seeds from last year. I found out then that one was fine and the other one duff. A week before my visit to the UK I sowed a couple of rows from what I believed might be the good ones. My choice was wrong! Not a single one has germinated. I should have disposed of them. Oh well, it can be a bit hit and miss.

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I think my garden has floated / blown out to sea this morning

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

This morning some of my peas were popping through, so I have just been to check if they needed some water as it has been hot today. Not a single one was still there. <grr> I knew it wasn't birds as they were protected against them. There is still a plastic cloche over them, with netting at the ends to allow a circulation of air. I expected it to be voles which are there in numbers. As I lifted the cloche I found a largish green lizard in there. I thought that they fed on insects, but having checked found that they do eat some vegetation. All the conditions that they like exist, but I didn't grow peas for their enjoyment. :emoticon-0106-cryin

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

My peas, broad beans and potatoes are coming on strongly and today I planted the runner beans J grew from seed. She has a load of salad crops coming up in the raised salad bed.

20. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member