1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gao and Championship football?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by St.Kreuzberg, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Saint Alban

Saint Alban Active Member

We do one sweet every 10 mins and an extra one when we score! Generally getting more leftovers at the end of games these days than we used to....

My boy had his first game 2years 9months. A gentle cup game v Yeovil. Now ST holder since age 5. Never had any issues at home games - except making sure of the toilet visit before, half time and after game!

More recently (age 5-6 )We've done a couple of away games incl last Saturday @ Watford (a home game for us distance wise), with no real problems.

EXCEPT - whilst on the subject what is wrong with people blocking the concourse steps at half time on Saturday? Fair enough if youngsters want to bounce up and down singing, but do it away from the gangway and the toilet! It was one big ruck at the top of the steps, elbows flying everywhere, people getting angry. trying to negotiate a 6 year old through the melee to the toilet was a bit scary. and unnecessary.

fatletiss and Libby like this.
  2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Don't even think about it. Millwall have a notorious under 5s firm. In fact the nippers down there are routinely tooled up.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh> My Dad..... guaranteed to slag the players off that you think are doing well.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  4. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Slightly different , but a few years ago when I was a ST holder , My younger sister and my Mum wanted to go to a game . My sister said she wanted tickets for the " Shouty end " . I got her and my mum tickets at the northam of course . They were sat right by the fans dividing section .

They were playing Millwall.

My mum ( well into her 70's ) said to my sister " Oh look , they are waving at us " .

My sister replied " No mum , they are NOT waving " .........

True story !

5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Only supporters I've ever seen at St Marys try to pull the netting away and get across the segregated area to the home fans. I thought all that had stopped nearly 30 years ago.

6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

My Mum would have sorted them <hug>

On the other hand ...

Archers Road likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Worst I've seen at St Marys were Cardiff in 05/06. Definitely not a minority.

8. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

First game I can remember going to was against Wimbledon away at Selhurst Park. Was around Xmas and for my birthday (which is a couple of weeks before Xmas) I had been given a Man Utd top by some friend of the family/distant relative who had heard I was showing an interest in football. It was that blue and white Sharp away one from the mid 90s iirc. My Dad wasn't having that so arranged for us to go and watch a Saints game. Me knowing nothing really about how football supporting worked wanted to wear my newly acquired top to a real football game, my Mum, knowing nothing about football supporting thought it was a great idea. My dad told her I would get my "****ing head kicked in" so I wasn't allowed to wear it. I think I was 5 or 6 at the time. Amazing the stuff you remember.

fatletiss and Libby like this.
  9. saintkitch

saintkitch Well-Known Member

So in the spur of the moment if someone ****s up or doesn't attempt to track back you sit there and say nothing. I find that hard to believe.

10. fatletiss

Tactical front? Pretty sure the outcome was neither of us knew what we were on about :)

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.

11. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

And book him in to the dentist on Monday morning!! Too much reliance on sweets! What about nuts to wean him/her away from the sweets?

12. saintkitch

May have worded my what a fan is comment wrong. You don't need to lose your **** but passion is instinctive and whether something good or bad happens on the pitch then there will always be a reaction and for me silence is not a natural reaction of somebody who is passionate about something, and being passionate is what makes us fans.

13. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Surely clubs enable you to download the program to your smartphone these days. If not, they are behind the times. Are the programs as good as they were in the 60s? (If you have ever managed to see one of that vintage?)

14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

In my experience, too many fans spend far too much time slagging players off unfairly and far too little time praising hard work and simple, effective passing and awareness of situations. Passion isn’t just about being negative, it’s about getting behind the team and urging them on when things are going against them.

15. fatletiss

I am a vocal person, very vocal. I talk a lot. People who know me, realise that I am angry when I’m quiet. Ask the kids.

However I can go “oh no,” or “bollox” if something goes wrong. What I don’t do is scream at the individual. I’ll passionately shout “come on Saints” to Gee them up. Silence isn’t the only way to show disappointment in a way that isn’t ‘getting at the team’....

I think you seem to have formed a narrow vision of what we’re saying. I don’t get at the players, but I’m very passionate at the games. I did say earlier that I often take it out on the referee from the stands and scream at them the next time a decision goes wrong.

If you still don’t accept that people can be passionte without screaming and making lots of noise, you’ll just have to watch me making my love!! :)

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  16. fatletiss

Bingo. Why use negative energy. Use that negative passion to be positively passionate. The team needs that mostly.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  17. saintkitch

Yeah i get that, but that has nothing to with anything i am talking about, think your trying to twist my words a little bit. All i'm saying is if you jump up and down and sing when we score then surely if we let in a soft goal or show lack of effort then there is a natural reaction to that as well. I agree that people who boo and jeer players/managers just for the sake of it are are idiots, but when that soft goal goes in through forster flapping or bertrand not tracking back then surely everyone reacts in a similar way?

18. saintkitch

You say i have a narrow vision of what your saying yet you've assumed i think passion is having a go at the players.

19. saintkitch

Also why is having a go at the ref if he makes a mistake ok but not having a go at players if they make a mistake. Surely getting on the ref's back is going to make him nervous and make him make more mistakes?

20. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The ref isn’t who I go to games to support though. There’s the word. Support. That’s what you’re not doing if you shout abuse at a player even if they cock up. As you say yourself, yelling at players is hardly going to make them play better so why do it? I dare say, as highly trained professional footballers they know when they’ve done something wrong and will, in most cases, try and make up for it. I accept you’re not advocating shouting abuse and I also accept that an occasional momentary roar of disappointment or annoyance is part of what drives a player on, but a constant drip feed of catcalling and insults is completely wrong.

Archers Road likes this.