1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Full backs

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Magic Ted, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Magic Ted

Magic Ted Talulah

Saw in the match thread comments regarding Moreno today.. Thought he had one of his best games for us personally, and is really developing in to a good LB. Same goes for Clyne, who's really an incredibly solid FB, great defender and good going forward, comfortable on the ball. Whereas is the more raw, aggressive FB but both have massive potential.

Arguably the best set of FB's we've had since Riise and Arbeloa?

2. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Moreno had a horrendous 1st half, but quite a good 2nd half. He has a lot of pace, but is careless and strikes me as an idiot.
    Clyne is solid, but I think he can do a lot more. If Ibe continues to play well, I would like to see them partner each other on the right wing.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  3. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

A solid full back like Clyne is what we've been crying out for. I could strangle Moreno, at times. So much raw pace and ptential, but if Jurgen can't get the best out of him we need to buy in January, then keep a settled back four for the first time in years. Sakho was fab again today, and he now looks to be certain of himself on the ball, almost daring forwards to jump at him when he has the ball then - fizz - it's past them and a perfect 40-50 yard pass to a winger or forward. Keep playing the Bambi card, Sakho: they don't seem to have twigged that 99% of the time you're just suckering them.

organic red likes this.
  4. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Tend to agree on Moreno donga,he's exciting sometimes going forward but he's all over the shop as a defensive LB

Should of picked up Ramires's movement for their goal............it's not the first time that's happened

5. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

It's weird. I came on here and lots were slagging off Moreno today, then checked BBC website and they were saying how Moreno was having a great game... Then after the game still the same mixed reviews.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  6. Prince Knut

The kid is a slimmer, faster version of Riise, but without the shot.

7. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

It was a mixed bag from him, and he did offer plenty of attacking options on the left. Nearly grabbed one himself near the end.

But a full-back has to be defencevly astute first, and offer other options second. I think Kloppo will be looking at that position for strengthening

8. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

I dunno.

I know Riise wasn't great at the back but I don't remember him being that sloppy.

9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I'm a big Moreno fan but it wasn't his best performance. He was partially at fault for the goal (Skrtel, Milner and Clyne are also culpable).

The problem is, Klopps teams rely on the full backs to push on and cover so much ground. William, Chelsea's best player this season, was able to exploit the space.

One thing is for sure - Moreno has rapid speed, which allows him to recover and make some great recovery tackles.

And it's why players like Flanno and Gomez cannot be considered as back ups because they are unable to serve the same purpose.

10. FedLadSonOfAnfield

Clyne is top drawer and will only get even better. Very classy, strong, balanced player with consistency.

Moreno is laundry basket ... he's quick moving forwards but he's got nothing between the ears, ****ing dopey moron - look at whatever it was he was trying to do when he stood on the spot on the touchline and let the Chavs player basically take the ball off him - and really inconsistent. He should be on the bench at best. His haircut makes him look like a lobotomy patient which is probably what he needs.

Diego likes this.

11. People form an opinion on a player and then it's hard to change it. It's why we have so many scapegoats

12. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Moreno is a great player that is subject to the occasional lapse in judgement defensively. He offers a great benefit going forwards but the centre backs need to put in a little extra to watch for his occassional defensive frailties.

13. I don't see him as much different to Enrique defensively; he gets caught out of position (can't be in two places at once) and can be easily beaten at times but his pace lets him recover and get away with it most of the time. Its the errors in dangerous areas like against Chelsea that are the issue but they can be trained out of him, pretty sure Klopp will be on it already.

Got to admit, I was slating Moreno in the second half of last season and the start of this but since Klopp's come in he's really hit form and he's becoming a key player. The criticism he received on Saturday was way over the top imo, one mistake in five games doesn't deserve that sort of reaction but it was magnified because it lead to a goal.

He suddenly looks like the best crosser of a ball we've got now too, something I never thought I'd be saying not so long ago.

14. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

I don't either. Even Riise was occasionally caught out and defensively frail. I'm not at all slating Moreno. I think hes good. Just recognising his weakness.

15. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

With some coaching from Klopp, I'm positive he will improve defensively.

Whilst he could have done better for the goal, the more concerning issues were letting Azpi cross the ball with such ease and no midfielder tracking Ramires's run.

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He needs to improve defensivley but I'm happy with every Liverpool player at this point, they are working hard and fighting for a place in the team.

17. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

This.

There is a very good attitude on the pitch right now that should see us win more games

18. The attitude, work rate, heart, desire and team spirit is why I wanted Klopp. The players are fighting for ninety minutes and playing for each other. However, I think all that is a minimum requirement.

19. Prince Knut

Yes. This is entry level stuff, and it's good Klopp's got it back. Brendan had it two years ago but lost it. ANY player without it should be shipped out immediately, and no matter what guff his agent came up with, it's what Sterling lost, so's he's better off at City where he seems to have found it again (for how long? :emoticon-0138-think ).

Super G Ted'inho likes this.