1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Fulham v Leeds Utd

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 20, 2021.

1. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I thought Phillips was sh*t when he first came in to the team. I couldn’t see him having a career in professional football never mind playing for England. Maybe I’m a lousy judge of a player… or maybe he was sh*t. I’m going to stick my neck out, he was sh*t. But I knew a player who said everyone at the club though highly of him.. so they persevered.

He was just a kid, so it’s different sets of circumstances to those we’re picking holes in now, but sometimes it’s about game time and settling in… harder to do when in the pressure-cooker of the premier league.

I'm happy to give Firpo some bedding in time before writing him off. As for Roberts and what does anyone see in him? He has maybe the second best first touch, after Harrison, at the club... the ball sticks to him. He's capable of some moments of individual skill. It's likely he looks great in training! The problem is what he does (or doesn't) do with the ball after he's got it.. which is a source of frustration for most fans.

We all have players we don't rate as highly as others. Mine is Paddy... he scored some great goals last season and his workrate in and out of possession is unquestionable... but for me he's too unreliable in front of goal and too many opportunities breakdown/are lost due to him failing to get control of the ball. It's just my take, I'm happy we have him, I'm not ranting about him every game - I just don't rate him as highly as most.

2. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I don’t see him being here as a huge difference, he barely broke into the first team, again I think it’s players suddenly remembered as better once they’ve left. He might have been better than Firpo but he presumably wasn’t better than Alioski so who knows. If Firpo keeps playing poorly he’ll be dropped.

ristac likes this.
  3. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

But will he? Bielsa still uses Roberts and how many assists/goals has he managed?

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Bielsa loved Leif Davies “Very good Davies” but immediately after that his form dropped off. He wasnt even selected for the U23s until the latter half of last season where he started a few games. Whatever happened to him meant he got loaned out. Huggins another player regular on the first team bench, after a fantastic season for the 23s, but Bielsa decided he wasnt going to make it so sold. Olly Casey the senior player in the Cresswell Casey partnership and regular on the first team bench, sold,McCalmont, Gotts, Stevens, Edmondson, Bogusz all gone or loaned out. Bielsa is ruthless so pointless saying we would be better with Davies as Bielsa doesnt fancy him as he had his chance and didnt grab it. Its a harsh education so lets hope those from last night realise

5. Leedsoflondon

He doesn’t often start but Bielsa still sees him as the next senior player to bring on until a Gelhardt or Greenwood convince him otherwise. Like some have said, he is on the spectrum like that. Same for Drameh who needs to convince Bielsa he should be back up to Ayling. At present he appears to be behind both Dallas and Shackleton for RB.

foolee likes this.
  6. Leedsoflondon

Bielsa explained it. Players develop but when they reach a certain age and he doesn’t think they will oust a first teamer, the U23s is no longer any use for their development so have to leave either on loan or permanently.

7. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

Away to Arsenal next

ristac likes this.
  8. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Needed a home tie for the fans but hey ho.

9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

London again, for tonight’s game Arsenal were selling tickets for £10

10. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

I'm sure Leeds' "ball" in the bag is square....neither the EFL nor the FA like giving us home ties.

Out of interest, anyone know the last home FA cup tie was ?
    I really can't remember.

ristac likes this.

11. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Rotherham Jan 2016 third round tie won 2-0, Carayol and Doukara scored

Beat Bolton in the next round, then lost to Watford in the 5th round

Whitejock and ristac like this.
  12. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No! He doesn't drop players when they play badly.

13. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Or with little to no talent. I think Roberts is just not up to it mentally ie not tough enough so he holds back. Either that or he is league one standard.

14. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Shakleton at right back is a joke.

Doc likes this.