1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Friday 2nd. June 2023

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jun 1, 2023.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Bustino. The one that took my eye though was the booking of Tom Marquand to ride Grey Fox for the Emma Lavelle yard. The gelding should appreciate the drop in trip and the much faster ground than LTO 25-days ago at Windsor.

Just one thing, I hope I have not picked the wrong 'Fox', as I have a bad habit of picking the 'wrong' one of two! :emoticon-0101-sadsm :bandit:

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You may well be right about Bright Diamond QM. One has to go back a way to find anything on the sire side, although some very good 10f horses plus Nijinsky. But on the dam side, we go back to Dr Devious, Sadlers Wells, Northern Dancer, Troy, Alleged (and therefore, Ribot). So there is a glimmer of hope on pedigree. My point was that, as she ran further than Eternal Hope and finished well, should she be over 4 times the price? Anyway, I couldn't argue her chances are great but I think I can see why she has been left in, given that Eternal Hope has been supplemented. Maybe left in in eternal hope

If Savethelastdance wins easily, she could be the new fav for the Arc

3. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

A select field of five face the starter for the Coronation Cup and there is little separating the four British/Irish contenders and clearly the German St Leger winner will be the outsider of the quintet.

On the ratings, the 3lb allowance will make Emily Upjohn difficult to beat if a lack of race fitness is not too much of an issue. She ought to avoid the traffic trouble that she had in the Oaks last term when just beaten and handling the track is obviously not an issue.

Irish Derby winner Westover should have been second in the Derby but he perhaps did not like the course as much as others and got going too late having created his own traffic trouble. So I would not be too confident about him back here. He was put in his place by wonder horse Equinox at Meydan and returns from a two month layoff today.

As a two year old Point Lonsdale had a big reputation and won the Chesham and the Irish Futurity but was hammered by Native Trail in the National Stakes. He was only seen running down the field in the Guineas as a three year old and has returned as a four year old with two wins on soft ground, beating Layfayette more than 8 lengths third at The Curragh but less than 2 lengths in front of the same rival at Chester. This is his first attempt beyond ten furlongs so he could prove to be a revelation; however, he is a short price for one unknown at the trip or on the track and his only win on quick ground was a five runner Group 3 where he was 1/8.

Race fit following a six length victory in the Jockey Club Stakes, 2021 St Leger and Irish Derby winner HURRICANE LANE was placed in that year’s Derby behind his stablemate and appears to have been rejuvenated by the fitting of cheekpieces. He could be hard to beat today as I suspect that Buick may try to make the running. He does not want to leave it to Frankie on Emily Upjohn or Rob Hornby on Westover as a sprint in the straight would not play to his stamina.

4. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Generally speaking, Ron, I do not go looking back three or four generations for evidence of stamina. If there is no obvious evidence of stamina in the dam, granddam or associated families coupled with no obvious signs of stamina of the sire’s side then I am going to only go with the evidence that has been seen on the racetrack.

So if I see a horse running over ten furlongs in a style that suggests that they would be able to go further then I am more likely to take that as evidence.

I hope that Bright Diamond runs a good race for her connections but there is no actual racecourse evidence that she will stay the trip in a truly run race and she has a lot of ground to make up on the first two from Lingfield.

If any filly wins easily today then it will automatically be favourite for the Arc as we know that recent history tells us of the great record of Classic generation fillies.

Ron likes this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm in danger of arguing she has a good chance, which I can't do with any confidence, of course. But I don't think 2¾l is a lot of ground to make up on the winner, given she took a longer route and was caught out by the sudden change of pace over 1f out but was running on in the last 110yds. I'm not sure that any of them have shown any evidence of staying 12f, let alone in a truly run race on a sound surface

I can just see BD being tailed off last now <laugh>

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The only Oaks winner I have ever fancied for the Arc as early as June (proofed this forum) was Enable at 20/1. It was pointed out to me at the time that Oaks winners had a poor record in the Arc (never won it as I recall being stated). But I fancied her on the basis that I considered her better than that year's Derby winner, and Derby winners did OK in the Arc. So, this year, again, I will only fancy the Oaks winner for the Arc if I consider her to be better than the Derby winner and even then, it will have to have clocked a good time and have won with something in hand. Currently I am favouring the 4yos so I will be looking at the time of the Coronation as well

7. gillamandango

gillamandango Active Member

Good luck, hope the ground doesn't get like a road by 8pm.

floridaspearl likes this.
  8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nice compensation for Emily after last year's Oaks misfortune

9. You See

You See Well-Known Member

I was quite impressed with popworlds first two runs and having got 12s on the top weight ew i am looking forward to watching. (First at Don)

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bearing in mind how she won, that looks like an impressive time; and she will come on for the run <yikes>
    upload_2023-6-2_17-9-30.png

11. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Interesting to see Savethelastdance. She is a big girl and you wouldn't nominate Epsom as the course she'll be best on. Also she won her trial at Chester in heavy ground and everyone then ticks the stamina box. But she may be brilliant on soft ground and just like the rest of the pack on good to firm. It's a fallacy to think because they win on soft or heavy ground they must have stamina. It was a painfully slow race on the Roodye.

She'll probably win by 10 lengths but I still prefer Soul Sister. .

12. SwanHills

Well done, Oddy, and all those who picked Soul Sister. A very classy filly. <applause>

13. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

She did that very well. Like to see her take on the colts in the King George - that will tell us if she is an Arc horse.

14. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Place money @50/1

SwanHills and Ron like this.
  15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You were right QM; she didn't last home but she ran a great race for a 66/1 shot. I was right on one thing; she was better value than Eternal Hope <laugh>

Frankie and Frankel romp home <party>

LG likes this.
  16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes, she did that very well Oddy; but not well enough for me to win the Arc. I can think of a few I would rather be on

17. SwanHills

It hurts, but she was indeed hopeless. Really thought she'd run better than that dismal performance.

18. Bustino74

Savethelastdance probably stayed OK but was a bit one-paced.

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

upload_2023-6-2_17-58-25.png

So, the Coronation was 2.63 secs faster than the Oaks. On that ground, that is equal to 15.78, lengths which equates to 23.67 pounds. In the Arc a 3yo filly gets 7lb from a 4yo filly. Theoretically, if my calculations are correct, Soul Sister has no chance against Emily Upjohn. I haven't taken account of the fact Soul Sister was carrying 3lb more than Emily Upjohn today, which obviously brings the 2 a bit closer together. I'm going to verify that calculation by coming from a different angle as that does seem a bit drastic. After I have seen to my own horses

20. Bustino74

But today Emily Upjohn would have to give her 11- 12lb and it's todays performances and weights you have to consider. 3yos under the wfa adjustments are expected to improve more than a 4yo during a season. So there's only 4-5lb between them. Still a lot, but who will improve more?.

Ron likes this.