1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Friday 22nd. Feb. 2019

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Feb 21, 2019.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Friday's Meetings

Warwick
    N/H 7 Races 1:10-4:30p.m.
    Catterick
    N/H 6 Races 1:20-4:10p.m.
    Exeter
    N/H 8 Races 1:30-5:20p.m.
    Lingfield
    A/W 6 Races 1:50-4:40p.m.
    Dundalk(E)
    A/W 8 Races 5:00-8:30p.m.
    Chelmsford(E)
    A/W 6 Races 5:45-8:15p.m.

Racecards
    At The Races

Racing Post
    Sporting Life

Good Luck <ok>

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Off to Warwick so views would be great

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Two words - Alan King

Lieutenant Henderson's one for the mares novices race at Cheltenham runs at Exeter tomorrow - Epatante is 2/7 this evening.

4. stick

stick Bumper King

Exeter 2:05 Pertemps Hurdle Qualifier
    FLEMCARA 10/1
    The trainer has huge faith in this horse and wants him at the Festival in the final. She also feels that he needs a few extra pounds on his rating to qualify so he will be properly trying.
    Ran a belter in the Coral last year over an inadequate trip but conditions tomorrow should suit him very well indeed.

5. OddDog

Staff Member

Ooooooooohhhh more plots that an Agatha Christie novel in that one stick. I hope you will be contributing to the Not 606 preview evening this year?

6. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Morning

3.30 Lingfield-Tavener

Each Way @ 15-2 [Skybet] 4 Places

Trainer is very good at placing his sprinters

7. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

A few to avoid. Black tulip who was running a good race at Cheltenham but the ground went against it. Foxtail hill looks dangerous off this mark, and the veteran red admirable could place at a price. Don’t know much about the claimer. Have a great day.

8. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

An eyecatching runner today has to be Cracker Factory returned to the level at Lingfield Park (the ‘lucky last’, 4.40). I can never think of this horse incidentally without recalling old boy Milhouse’s classic line from ‘The Simpsons’!

Since his last run on the Flat Cracker Factory has won 4 juvenile hurdles and also finished runner-up at Grade 2 level. His hurdling mark is 139, as a result, but this afternoon he runs off his Flat perch which is just 67, I say 67. If transferring his improvement over timber back to the level you would imagine that the old boy would dot up against some pretty exposed and out of form types. However, it should also be noted that the return to the level is merely his prep, warm up, hors d'oeuvres, if you like, prior to the main course for him namely what was the ‘Fred Winter’ at next month’s Cheltenham Festival. In this heat, incidentally, connections will be trying to win ‘oodles in the Boodles’ (new forum catchphrase alert). Boom, boom!

Won’t be backing him for the fact that it is merely a ‘prep’, team, and also because he is likely to be very short in the market, but one very much to look out for later on, with the old Festival in mind, is Cracker Factory.

Ste D likes this.
  9. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

I think at the prices one to take a chance at 2.50- Foxtail Hill - 7/1 he is about 8lbs below his last winning mark and although all his wins have come at Cheltenham, getting of this track won’t be a problem. And if he can be given a nice easy lead he will be hard to peg back!

floridaspearl likes this.
  10. Sir Barney Chuckles

Finished one place behind my beloved Coole Cody last time so will be watching closely (Flemcara up 1 lb for that effort). Really hope he upholds the form of that Sandown race down in God’s own county later.

I see Flemcara is already being quoted for the Final – (40/1 or 33’s NRNB) are you on, my old love???

11. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

I’d probably take you on with music major.

Resurgam likes this.
  12. Sir Barney Chuckles

I’ve never been to Warwick Racecourse but I have been to Warwick Castle and seen a ghost.

To be frank it’s not a meeting that I would want to be betting at as it looks Risky with a capital ‘R’. Would deffo watch the ‘lucky last’ together with the old notebook though as that looks potentially rather hot - any report back on the contestants would be very well received. I must point out though, old boy, that you should be aware that the Henderson who has the favourite in the 2.50 isn’t OUR Henderson.

13. Sir Barney Chuckles

Or possibly Newcastle or Wincanton in the coming days. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more...

14. NassauBoard

As if I’m staying for the flat racing!!

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.
  15. OddDog

Staff Member

Question for you knowledgable bods out there - we now have the (whopping) handicap entries for the festival yet all the Irish horses have no "official rating" on the racecard (see link here to the Ultima card).

I know this is because the Irish horses get assessed by the English handicapper and get a weight allocated based on this assessment (a kind of "shadow rating" if you like) but why don't they make it much easier for themselves and just use the official Irish handicap rating? Is it just an excuse for sandwiches and sherry down at the old handicapper's office? Or do they simply not trust their Irish colleagues (boo hiss if that is the case)? All very perplexing ............. but I bet Nass can clarify for me :)

16. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Warwick 3.20pm

Pray for a Rainbow 9/1 each way 4 places.

Was at the yard last weekend and this fella was on the gallops working with our horse. He s very well in himself and trainer believes he has a good chance today. Cheekpieces are off as they didn't work last time and horse is on a winable mark. He was supposed to be ridden by Harrison Berwick so not sure why the jockey change but I still think it's a good play so I m going ahead. Working today...but should catch the race later...

17. NassauBoard

I think we’ve seen in the last few years where Phil Smith had been taking the Irish handicap more on face value (Delta Work if I recall is a good example) that the Irish horses were very leniently handicapped in comparison.

So they get together and figure out whether the handicap marks are like for like and whether they should alter the Irish marks (raise) or leave them as they are.

I’ve not studied the ratings for the Grand National but as mouthpiece MOL hasn’t been spouting too much rubbish I’m guessing the differences in the marks for that race are minimal.

Personally I think with Elliott sending more horses across the sea, for Ayr and the like, we should be getting a better handle on the Irish handicap and as such I’d expect the handicappers job to be easier than it has in the past.

OddDog likes this.
  18. Denny4

Denny4 Active Member

If I were going this is what id back through the card.

1:10 - My Way
    1:40 - Idilico ew
    2:15 - Song Saa
    2:50 - Doitforthevillage
    3:20 - Definitely Vinnie
    3:55 - Quarenta
    4:30 - Fourshoes

NassauBoard likes this.
  19. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

I’m pretty sure the Irish had their share of handicap winners at last years festival. Prior to that it was a regular Irish trainer whine that ol boy Smith was far too harsh. So whatever they do over Sherry and sarnies they seem to get it about right.

20. OddDog

Staff Member

I largely agree Chan but there have been a couple of very noticeable blots in the last few years, especially in the County Hurdle and 2 horses owned by Wicklow Bloodstock limited ;)