1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Freddy Adu

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by blackcatsteve, Jan 22, 2012.

1. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

No, I dont think we should sign him, 5 years ago, yes (pleased we didnt now) but not now.

I just cant believe he is only 22, I know he started when he was 14 but still, for some reason I was expecting him to be older than that (probably because he has been around for years).

But what a prospect, gone to waste.

2. Poyet's Eleven

Poyet's Eleven Well-Known Member

Who does he play for?

3. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Well-Known Member

It's a shame this one. Plenty of blame to go around, some his own. May still come good, but will never live up to the crazy expectations thrust on him at the age of 15.

4. Bexinio

Bexinio Well-Known Member

Wow thats a blast from the past, where have you picked this guy been linked to us?

5. poolie_mackem

poolie_mackem Well-Known Member

playing for Philadelphia

still has plenty of time to get back on track but needs to be at a club were he is going to be playing week in week out for the next couple of years atleast

6. blackcatsteve

did i say he was linked to us? hmm no, I said 5 years ago i would have liked us to get him, now, no thanks.

he has gone back to the USA

Philadelphia Union

In August 2011 Adu returned to Major League Soccer, signing with Philadelphia Union, reuniting him with former D.C. United and United States national U-23 coach Piotr Nowak.[29] Though terms were not disclosed, as per club policy, it was stated that he was not a designated player.[30] Adu debuted for the Philadelphia Union on August 13 in a match against FC Dallas and scored his first goal for the club on September 7, 2011 against New England Revolution.[31]

7. Bexinio

Sorry mate, i thought by bringing him up that he had been linked with us, warm handshakes and large chest bumps all round to ease my shame!

8. blackcatsteve

I just thought it would be a good topic (I dont make many, think this is my 6th in a year and they usually got 1-2 replies lol).

But he was mentioned in the ANC commentary last night, and like you it was a blast from the past.

9. Bexinio

Yeah i remember he was the 'next big thing' around 7 years ago.

PS....to get past a couple of return posts, just go to the Swansea page and ask them for lessons on this magic thing they call 'football', who knows it may catch on!

10. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

Who the **** is he like? Never heard of him.

The next big thing in what? Not being noticed?

11. blackcatsteve

When he was 14 he was supposed to be the next Pele, wonderkid, loads of skill and one of the best prospects in the game, He turned profesional at 14 in the USA, then had a 2 week trial at Man U they decided against it, Benfica got him, but he just never made the step up, they loaned him out a few times, and now he has gone back to the USA (he has played for the national team as well).

12. martinsmithmakesmesmile

awesome on champ man.

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Was typical of the Americans.

The lad had great skill and touch, but was nowhere near ready as a footballer, and they bigged him up as their Pele.

The lad went to Portugal, way too prematurely, and was nowhere near ready for the consistent standard (and this is Portugal, hardly a tough league).

He could have been a real talent, Man Utd had him on trial and said 'maybe in a couple of years', he was badly advised, and went that summer.

Shame.

14. blackcatsteve

Inter Milan wanted to sign him at 11 (like Barca with Messi) but his Mother said no, on advice of agents, things may have been so much different for the lad if he had.

15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Definitely Steve.

Benfica thought they'd signed a massive natural talent who could drop straight into the first 11, they were miles off, and then they didn't put the time into his development.

If he'd have gone to a club which had proper youth schemes and schooling in actually being a footballer, who knows.

He had lightning pace and a great touch, two natural gifts, but he was never afforded the advice and training to become a 'footballer'.

I can do keepy ups and skills with a ball, but that does not make me a potential pro!

16. Lambton Worm

Lambton Worm Member

Didn't the lad get taken from Africa to USA to be citizenised (is that a word!?) when he was a bairn?!?

17. blackcatsteve

He was born in Ghana but his mam moved to the USA when he was young, dont think it had anything to do with his football.