1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fraser Forster in line for Southampton recall under Ralph Hasenhüttl

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Yes but only because he was too good to sit on the bench for us.

Really sad for FF if that’s true, I read rumours that he was disruptive under Puel (though only rumours). He is a class keeper and I think at his best better than McCarthy.

So interesting conundrum. 3 keepers all on 1st team wages, can’t keep all of them. Gunn young and may be very very good, Forster ex England no 1 who may regain form and McCarthy, a steady pair of hands who has done well since coming in.

Letting McCarthy go would be a gamble but between Forster and Gunn surely they have it covered?

If Ralph and the club think Forster is ready to start then he is ready to start.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  2. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

That and the fact he disliked Koeman's regime. A lot.

3. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I could see a shade above that. He's good enough to start for a number of sides with goalkeeping woes, but he also comes with the very valuable 'home grown' designation for a club that is up against their roster limit on foreign players. Man City, as an example, given that they've needed a competent backup since Bravo went down for (presumably) the year...their backup all season has been a 20 year old Kosovar with very little experience, so I'd expect they'll be seeking a keeper just to reduce the possibility of calamity if Ederson goes down. £10m for a PL-quality keeper who doesn't mess up their roster would be a reasonable investment.

4. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

But this is just it, I can't think of another PL team who has "goalkeeper woes". I can't think of another team (bar Huddersfield, who may not be particularly attractive or willing to spend this window) where McCarthy would definitely come in as their number 1. That then means that the most likely option is to go to one of the big teams and history suggests they tend to go for the older, cheap HG player as backup.

If McCArthy is to leave it wouldn't surprise me if it was to one of the wealthier Championship teams, which is also probably unlikely as he has just broken into the England set up. In short I think it is going to be hard to move him on unless we are selling him very cheaply.

5. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

I thought RH pretty much confirmed in today’s presser that Forster is being brought back up to speed for another club. McCarthy and Gunn are his preferred choices.

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Keeping McCarthy and Gunn seems the more sensible option. Be a good idea to try Forster in the U23s....not only is he an asset whose value we want to realise...he is also a human being that we should help recover form and find his next job.

Lovelocum and mowgli like this.
  7. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

That and McCarthy is on far less money than Forster and a better keeper

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  8. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Lest we forget - and I think it's important to flag this - that the original source of the story of Forster staying and having a future at Saints is also the source of the mental health claims related to Fraser's wellbeing.

Some fans got way, way, way too carried away with that. Talk of chanting his name and a minute's applause for him when absolutely nothing was confirmed (and nor should it be) and it was all idle chit-chat.

Wise not to just believe everything on the internet, no matter what it's about. :)

9. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

To be fair, you posted a new thread which led many to believe there was weight to the story. Your reputation precedes you :angel:

10. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

THREAD CLOSED !

But then opened again.

Gabs is gone then

11. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

That was a fun waste of 4 pages...

12. - Doing The Lambert Walk

I didn't post anything about Fraser's mental health because incorrect or correct, it isn't something to gossip or debate in a forum like this.

13. saintkitch

saintkitch Well-Known Member

Just spoke to a Leeds fan who said they are interested in Forster.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'd drive him to Yorkshire myself :)

Archers Road and saintkitch like this.
  15. Libby

Libby 9-0

Umm... That isn't what he said?

16. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

There was interest back in the summer but Fraz didn’t want to drop a league.

17. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Well he may feel differently now seeing there position.

18. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Adding to my post, I'd love to see Hesketh go to Leeds. Biesla would coach him well and they play with attacking midfielders. He would do really well there for 6months

19. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Hopefully as I think it would be best for himself and the club if he looked at the offers we had for him.

20. - Doing The Lambert Walk

I posted about the irresponsibility of the original source of the Fraser Forster mental illness rumours, to which he replied saying that I posted a new thread which lent credence to the story.

I never referenced Forster's wellbeing and never would. I wasn't making any reference to the transfer with my reply. I was talking about the irresponsibility of gossiping about someone's wellbeing.

I wasn't discussing the validity of football-related speculation regarding Forster in my reply, I was focusing on how the fact someone would go public with gossip about someone else's mental health had got my goat. :)