1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fraser Forster in line for Southampton recall under Ralph Hasenhüttl

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Jan 7, 2019.

1. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

2. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

3. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Has been mentioned on here a few times that Forster has impressed Ralph the most so could well be true. Although I think Gunn should be number one unless Forster has totally turned it around with McCarthy not at his best.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  4. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

I was amongst those calling for him to be dropped. I could see he had little confidence and the defence did not look too happy either. I know he has had some issues that explained his drop in form and I am very proud of my club for sticking by him through some very difficult times. If, as rumoured, he is showing his best again in training then seeing him back in the side performing at his best would be a fairy end tail to a very sad story. We should not forget the 'Englands #1 chants' were earned.

Would be sorry to see McCarthy go but we need funds to strengthen; an in-form Forster -v- Gunn would still be good competition for the goalkeeping jersey.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  5. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

One minute McCarthy is God’s gift and pulling off worldies and now he’s off replaced by an u23 and the much maligned Forster. I can’t keep up.

I was always a Forster fan and thought the reason he was dropped was attitude and being disruptive.

As far as I’m concerned it doesn’t matter who is in goal unless we can get a decent back line in front of them.

Rich likes this.
  6. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

No one is going to buy Forster, so if they need to clear wages McCarthy is gone

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  7. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

We could easily bring in 12-15 Million too for McCarthy.

8. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Gunn didn't come here to be a backup, and McCarthy has the chance to start elsewhere on the back of his performances. It's not ideal -- I frankly don't trust Forster even as a backup -- but the die was cast as soon as Gunn was acquired.

9. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

If selling McCarthy allows us to be more active in the window in our more problem areas then so be it. We don’t have too many players that can raise some decent funds. Surprised if Forster has turned it around to the point of being no.1 again after so long in the doldrums, but as no.2 to Gunn, that wouldn’t surprise or weaken us particularly unless the worst were to happen.

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

If it’s any comfort, Angus Gunn will be 23 on 22nd January. As has been said, he wasn’t bought to be a backup to McCarthy.

Velcro Roy likes this.

11. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

As long as we don't sell him to a relegation rival

12. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Well it certainly won’t be Burnley as they have three England internationals
    Personally I would rather have McCarthy than Forster but appreciate the former is far more sellable which tells a story in itself

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  13. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

True, but I’m just surprised as everyone has been impressed with McCarthy since he came in. Forster is too good to be just back up, he could hold down a no 1 spot at many PL clubs.

***talking about keepers is reminding me of when Boruc came on here to post ***

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Haha Laura b or something of the like. If you mentioned the names Artur or Boruc she would mysteriously arrive to defend him. Forgot about that.

15. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I'm dubious that any clubs in the PL would have Forster as their #1. Largely because if they would, he'd have been loaned out a long time ago.

Think his knee injury really affected his agility, which in turn affected his confidence. I'd love for him to return to form, but it's not something I'd place a high degree of expectation on.

16. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Nice for Ralph to have a dilemma for positive reasons, but bloody hell it's always unsettling when you have uncertainty at that position.

Was fairly harsh on McCarthy to lose his place, seems even harsher on Gunn. So if big Fraser comes back in I hope he's truly ready to show his best from the off.

VocalMinority likes this.
  17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I was saying this re selling Macca a couple of weeks back, to a chorus of “why would we do that?”

18. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Far better having 3 players in the same position that we want to play rather than want to drop which seems to often been the case recently.

Good problem to have.

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

As I said before, it was always likely that we would have to sell someone we would prefer to keep if there was a need to raise money....have to say that I wasn't thinking of McCarthy. It would always be hard to shift our more mediocre players who are on top wages. Tough for a team at our level to keep 2 good keepers happy and Gunn was obviously brought in with the hope of him being our number one.

Don't understand some of the malevolence some fans have directed at Forster. He did well for us before and deserved some support when he appeared to have some kind of physical or mental breakdown. Goalkeepers are literally in the firing line...bit hard for one to wing it...it soon becomes obvious (especially with our defence). And who amongst us would walk away from good wages when we are having a tough time. I am pleased for him if things are looking up and he is able to appear on the bench as a sub, but can't see him displacing Gunn between the sticks unless he is injured (heaven forfend).

I am pleased if things are looking up for Forster, but he is still a bit of a risk....rather keep McCarthy and Gunn until the summer. However, it looks like balls are being juggled and we just have to see how it falls.

davecg69 likes this.
  20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

That was a fair enough reply in a level playing field. If we do sell McCarthy, it won't be for purely footballing reasons. A very good keeper. If he goes, it will be because he is saleable and Forster isn't...though it will only happen if Ralph believes that Fraser can be our number two (otherwise it would be suicide). Ralph has to show his skills as a footballer whisperer.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.