1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 14, 2021.

?

Who will win the first race with new Quali format?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Max Verstappen

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sergio Perez

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

It's amusing as it felt very personal when they were coming out and saying everything. I also think it's funny they have the nerve to say Merc's response is antagonistic, again especially after everything they've said and done.

Justjazz and eddie_squidd like this.
  2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Absolutely no self awareness....

Justjazz likes this.
  3. SgtBhaji

So not had chance to looks at much today, busy as hell... But what's with the following then?

Red Bull employee fired for racist text messages.

Horner saying "Max was abused too!" While talking about the racial abuse Hamilton got.

And Helmut sticking his foot in to the racist pool with comments about Tsunoda.

Only saw snipped of the lot. What's going on at RBR? Sheesh!

4. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Please, please, please read the Michael Holding book "Why we kneel, how we rise" - it very much covers this and should be a mandatory read for basically everyone.

DHCanary and SgtBhaji like this.
  5. SgtBhaji

I will check it out.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's the best thing I've ever read on the topic, and really educated me (and made me hold a mirror up to myself, though I consider myself entirely without a racist bone in my body). Plus it's basically lots of chats with sportspeople, so it's great in that sense too!

7. SgtBhaji

Yeah. I definitely will. Thanks for the tip!

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  8. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I think they found an employee had posted racial abuse comments back in May. Horner also said they had made it public they did not support any form of racial abuse. Think they scrutinised themselves.
    I think it is a joke, I don't think they know what racism is or how it doesn't need to be overt. As the article you pointed me too explains it is as simple as perceiving someone is dangerous because they are coloured, or different. You don't have to vocalise it or think you are.
    Totto chose his words very carefully when he was interviewed, on his own, on Sky. His face said something else, or at least I thought it did. Horner spoke as if butter would not melt in his mouth (compared to the last 2 weeks).
    RBRs image is undoubtedly damaged with some of the fans. I was warming to Max and I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, it was a heavy shunt for him.

9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Proper "All driver's matter" stuff from Horner, just incredibly disappointing that he can't even manage a comment condemning racism without false equivocations.

10. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

Speaking of, I've seen quite a few "Dutch Lives Matter" posts towards Merc/Lewis. It's just disgusting to mock the BLM movement that way. I always want to argue and fight with these people but 99% of the time there is just no point as they don't seem to even acknowledge anything is wrong. I get all worked up and angry and they just go "lol idiot lol" and in their eyes they've won the argument.

I'm always up for a good chat and debate but can't stand trying to talk to someone who just isn't interested in even trying to see someone else' point of view. :(

SgtBhaji and DHCanary like this.

11. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I am having to learn to ignore people whose idea of an argument is to respond with a laughing emoji and nothing else. They won’t debate and think that laughing at your views and running away is winning the argument. Instinctively, it makes my blood boil. It’s rude and ignorant. Imagine doing that to someone real life. Unfortunately there will always be idiots, and there’s no point in allowing yourself to get wound up by them.

SgtBhaji and taeleon like this.
  12. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

I have a workmate who does that, and his stories have helped me to not get bothered by that kind of thing. He's a good bloke, but it just happens that he finds it fascinating and hilarious how annoyed people can get, during a discussion with a complete stranger on the internet.

For him, the topic isn't relevant at all. It's the human behaviour that he finds interesting. And he's not even trying to be nasty to the other person. It's just a bit of innocent and harmless fun. And I do get his point when he says it's just a random interaction on the internet, and the other person will get over it and carry on with life regardless.

It's helped me understand the mindset better so I can walk away more easily. Sometimes people just have different objectives from a discussion. One person wants to discuss sensibly, logically, respectfully, and reach a shared understanding. The other person just wants to see human behaviour when faced with an unreasonable argument. One person has some emotional/intellectual investment in the discussion. The other person has none at all.

When we find ourselves in that kind of a discussion, it isn't actually a discussion. They're not interested in winning an argument, and the earlier we realise that, the earlier we can just shrug and walk away.

In a way, we've still 'won' because the other guy never got the fun he was looking for.

ched999uk, SgtBhaji and taeleon like this.