1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 14, 2021.

?

Who will win the first race with new Quali format?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Max Verstappen

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sergio Perez

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

What confuses me is why RBR think Lewis' penalty is supposed to benefit them? Lewis' penalty is about punishing Lewis' actions, not helping RBR even the score. They are looking at it the wrong way. As they say, they don't look at the outcome, only the incident.

Also since when is it a rule if you get a penalty you can't go on to win the race? Sure it's a slap in the face but Lewis did get a combination of luck with the red flag for tyres and repairs and had to work for it to eventually get past the Ferrari. It's not like he got the penalty and was in 1st and maintained 1st the entire race, there was still work to be done to win the race.

It's almost like since he got a penalty he is now no longer allowed to win which I don't get that mentality. Not wanting him to win to minimise your own damage is understandable but feeling like that should be a given is just self absorbed.

2. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

The Sunday Times are claiming in a headline (I can’t read or link to the article as it’s subscription only) that Red Bull will request that Hamilton should get a one race ban. Words fail me.

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Is there a penalty for spurious appeals?

Quite Possibly Raving likes this.
  4. eddie_squidd

Or bringing the sport into disrepute?

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That should be a race ban, surely?

ched999uk likes this.
  6. eddie_squidd

Race bans all round! Let’s have them served over the summer break.

7. eddie_squidd

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  8. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

9. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

No he’s not . C**ts serve a purpose in life .

ched999uk likes this.
  10. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

This is the first thing I've seen that has made me think this was actually a racing incident:

Note: I have no idea how accurate the simulation is, but watching it back against the replay, it seems very close. Not sure how the creator does it.

They BOTH carried too much speed into the corner.
    NEITHER of them were on the racing line.
    Hamilton wasn't particularly wide at the point of collision, and had a right to go for the corner given he was broadly alongside at entry. Hamilton couldn't have hit the normal apex given he was on the rightmost 3.2m of the track resultant from Max's defence.

Sorry, I know it's been discussed at length and I'm probably adding nothing new, but probably finally changed my mind.

SgtBhaji and DHCanary like this.

11. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m a simpleton , but I thought it was a racing incident done in the heat of the moment .

take into account what’s at stake , the speeds pressure and sheer intensity of it all , I am surprised they penalised anyone .

They penalised ~Lewis , but if RBR think that 10 sec penalty was not sufficient and ultimately Lewis punishment is increased. Then it’s all even more of a joke than it currently is .

Sad thing is it won’t totally surprise me if they do increase his penalty . Not for sporting reasons , but for viewing figures = £££££……..

And press publicity .

12. Quite Possibly Raving

You're not the simpleton if you were right all along! I can see it going the other way now and the stewards removing his 2 points.

13. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I think that with all the speculation and no clean answer as to who's fault it was sort of proves it's a racing incident. Although we can't see the data and the camera angles the stewards have.
    I hope Red Bull get a fine for wasting FIA time and negative publicity.
    I can see Max not out for revenge as such but being even less likely to give anyone any space and Lewis won't concede either as A it worked for him last time and B he is really fighting for this Championship with everything he can. I would put money on him using the sim before this weekends race.

Hopefully we have a good clean battle.

14. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

If RBR want a higher penalty because he gained too much advantage as a result of the incident, that is a rule book change, which can not be retrospective. They would also have to change the dictionary definition of the verb 'race'.
    Currently defined as 'compete with another to see who is the fastest at covering at set course.....' it would need to be changed to 'compete with another to see who is the fastest at covering at set course.....unless I run to mummy and cry because I didn't win and anyway you hurt me and that not fair!' I think we all knew one like that when we were kids.

15. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

You can watch the thing a million times, and it's still six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Red Bull aren't just bringing the sport in to disrepute with this, they're refusing to accept their driver had a responsibility and challenging the entire nature of racing.

We all know Max can be the hardest driver out there to pass, because he's often on the very edge of what's legal when he defends and squeezes, which is fine if you're willing to accept the consequences, but both he and RBR are not willing. If that's how you want to race, you've got to accept that you're going to be met with the same.

It's infuriating...

16. Quite Possibly Raving

Second video from the same animator:

The difference between Max's line and Leclerc's line is huge. Something that people saying Ham should have taken the same line against Max as he did against CLC need to look at - if he had done they would have crashed much earlier!

Can anyone point me to the rulebook on overtaking? I'd love to look at the detail as I guess that's what's important here.

17. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

No, he goes beyond what is legal, but F1 is not truly motorsport first anymore, it's entertainment first, and decisions are made, not for sporting reason, but financial ones.

Mark Blow and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  18. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So far this weekend Hamilton has come out with a $20m equality charity plan and "Hamilton attacks Hungary’s ‘cowardly, anti-LGBTQ+’ new law"

He's put the sport in a very awkward position if they were seriously planning to up his punishment, which seemed extremely unlikely anyway once everyone had calmed down and looked at the crash objectively.

19. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

Was thinking that, found it amusing two articles side by side, one RBR whining about the £1.3m cost and wanting Lewis' punishment made harsher and right next to it Hamilton pledging £20m to his new charity to push diversity in F1. Shows which of the two parties involved have class at this moment in time.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  20. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Anybody know what time this appeal is taking place and when we might know results?