1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 14, 2021.

?

Who will win the first race with new Quali format?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Max Verstappen

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sergio Perez

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I have really disliked Horner ever since he didn’t give Renault any credit when RBR were winning , but was quick as you like to slag them when they were losing . His behaviour at some press conferences aimed at Cyril A , was utterly disrespectful imho .

Yes , you are probably right about Max .

Mark Blow and ched999uk like this.
  2. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

It's Horner and Helmuts management style that's the problem - but they did build the team up and wind championships with it! Thinking about it's the sports persons mentality i.e. some can never do wrong in their own eyes it's always someone else's fault when things don't go their way but when they win then it's all their efforts. If Honer and Helmut had just arrived on the scene I would say it's all bravado to try and keep Max's head in the right place, but they have been around a good few years and achieved a huge amount. Remember that they, somehow get extra prize money because they won some championships as opposed to the other who get extra as historic teams! Horner and Helmut are very clever and ruthless to have got where they are!
    Not saying that I like or agree with their style but it has worked for them in the past.

Can't remember who used to say they do their talking on the track!

I can see Max coming back just as aggressive if not more for next races.

Interesting vid from Formula 1 youtube - you have to click the watch on youtube link I think:

I know a fair few were not Max fault but some show how stubborn and aggressive he can be.

3. Number 1 Jasper

Yes it works for them , but again they won championships with Renault . As I said I think they will win both this year , but if what I have read is correct the rule changes have hampered MB this year , intended ? I like to think not .

but talk of lawyers etc , trying to kill max , celebrating too much ?

come on . That is well out of order .

ched999uk likes this.
  4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Yeah...I've seen this.. it's a pretty good illustration of Max's aggressiveness. Which like I say, I'm all for some aggressive driving, but it will bite you,.and some of that is just well out there.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  5. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I wish they would do all their talking on the track. It's all their other talking that gets my goat.

There's a comment somewhere in that blog of Horner's where he counters the accusations of Max being aggressive by saying he was aggressive when he was 17 as all young drivers are, including Hamilton, but has matured now. The trouble is, when Max was an aggressive little 17 year old so-and-so and was punting people off left right and centre Horner was busy defending him as if he could do no wrong and never accepting that Max could be at fault. A total lack of self awareness and humility. I know some people probably get fed up with Toto's self righteousness at times but I believe he takes responsibility for his drivers' and team's wrongs in general, and the ethos of Mercedes is very different.

6. Number 1 Jasper

If you dish it out , you have to be prepared to take it .

eddie_squidd likes this.
  7. SgtBhaji

He contradicts himself in what he says though, in that in one sentence he suggests its a dirty move, then says it's a rookie error. Which is it?

8. Number 1 Jasper

Spot on .

9. SgtBhaji

With the floor changes, I think it's fair to say that it was definitely aimed at slowing the Merc if possible. But I'm cool with that, because watching a Merc run off in to the distance every week was as dull as dishwater, so anything they can do to bring closer racing and a closer pack gets the thumbs up from me.

10. ched999uk

That's a very good point. Thinking about it I am shocked that Honda would partner with Red Bull at all. They are all about honour and Red Bull, time and again have shown they have no honour at all.
    I seem to remember that Horner and Co were 'teaching' Honda how you can interpret rules!!!!!

Number 1 Jasper likes this.

11. Number 1 Jasper

Yes I agree . It's hardluck on MB , but I Iove the SPORT . Teams and Drivers come and go . All I want is for the championships to go down to the last race ( don't think that will happen this year ).

I am fed up of knowing long before the end of the season who will win the championships.

SgtBhaji and ched999uk like this.
  12. Number 1 Jasper

Also didn't they take on Gasly because of his relationship with Honda ( from his time racing there)

And therefore his understanding of how the Japanese operate culturally ? I might be wrong .

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  13. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think Max has matured, I think people just get out of his way now because they know how much of an idiot he is on the track. First time someone stands their ground he's in the wall.

He still makes the same rash moves and has been doing so to Lewis all season, Lewis for the most part just decided to get out of the way but he's not winning races doing that.

People always say well he's still young but this is his 7th season in F1 now, more than enough to have matured which I don't think he has.

Mr.B, DHCanary, Dell Boy and 3 others like this.
  14. SgtBhaji

I genuinely thought he was starting to mature in to world champion material, and he likely will become wdc this season, but last weekend felt different. Like we'd rewound a few years. Maybe it was just a desire to try punish Hamilton in his own back yard in front of his home crowd to try really get on top of the mental battle. But I think he could have let that go, still potentially walked away with the win when RBR inevitably undercut Merc, and catch them napping again. Playing the long game, there was no need to risk it.

ched999uk likes this.
  15. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Few like Horner, including me, but RBR did a professional job with Honda, for which I do thank them. Not sure why Honda are withdrawing other than they don't see F1 as their future, which might be a mistake with Hydrogen power muted by Brawn. Max I feel is undoubtedly fast, for which he has my respect, but is a late developer in other human capabilities, but then I was not fully rounded at 23. He is a stand out personality but if George, Le Clerc and even Norris get decent drives Max may not dominate. F1 is certainly not boring right now.

ched999uk likes this.
  16. SgtBhaji

Until the new regs hit and it takes years to get parity... probably right before the Hydrogen era. :p

ched999uk likes this.
  17. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Another camera view of the incident

ched999uk likes this.
  18. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Maybe I am bias, because of my dislike of Horner, but would like to think not. That is nothing more than a racing incident, Lewis had been up on the inside a few times, each time backing off, as he in fact did there. Max just misjudged and clipped him. That is nothing like a deliberate professional foul. Horner must have seen that many times. Max stopped squeezing Lewis and Lewis took the space, neither driver knowing quite the others intentions.

eddie_squidd and ched999uk like this.
  19. SgtBhaji

Those cameras are amazing.. How fast does everything seem from those angles? Bloody frightening at the point of the collision!

ched999uk likes this.
  20. ched999uk

The cameras are cool as they shoot 360 degrees. So when the data is downloaded you can change the viewing angle at any point, like directing the camera with hindsight.
    Not F1 related but nice to see, you can drag the image about and look where you want on the fly:

SgtBhaji likes this.