1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 14, 2021.

?

Who will win the first race with new Quali format?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Max Verstappen

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sergio Perez

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I think he's fine being aggressive, that's the kind of racing I want to see. I felt some of his moves on Saturday were a bit borderline, but if you're going to race that way, you've got to take it when you get a bit given back.

It was a scary shunt no doubt, and I'm sure emotions were running high after the event, but it's the response from Max and RBR that drive me absolutely nuts.

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  3. SgtBhaji

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

And now he's crying about it costing 1.3m.

What
    A
    Tosser.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  5. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

Can't see them going through with legal action. Surely decency and honour will cause them to stand down the lawyers?

(Did I say "decency and honour"? Sorry, I meant to say "the budget cap".)

Makes me wonder whether other things are making them desperate as well as despicable.

Maybe Malfoy is thinking "this is our best opportunity in ages, and who knows what will happen next year? If we don't win this season, I could be out of a job and have to stay at home with the missus."

Then he looks at Mercedes slowly improving, an experienced and aggressive Hamilton ready to scrap with an aggressive but unstable Verstappen, and he's starting to sweat.

A confident team wouldn't be acting like this.

6. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I always ignore it.
    I had similar thoughts, the reaction is indicating insecurity on the part of RBR. In a BBC article yesterday, Horner indicated the cost could prevent them making upgrades later in the season. They sent the engine back to Honda for them to check, seems the engine is not as bad as they thought. They suggested they may use it for the first test in Hungary. I think the view is they will later in the season likely get an engine penalty. I suspect the gearbox has to be replaced and maybe there is a penalty for that.
    Max will learn that aggressive driving has consequences. I think RBR have had a painful lesson but perhaps a necessary one.

ched999uk likes this.
  7. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I had a dream last night that Red Bull appealed the penalty. The new decision was that it was Max's fault and he was given a 3 place grid drop for Hungary, which Red Bull then boycotted.

It's always a wonder where the mind goes whilst dreaming

eddie_squidd, ched999uk and Big Ern like this.
  8. Big Ern

haha, true, I always remember falling asleep during the '83 FA cup replay, it was 4-0 when I dropped off for a few minutes. During those few minutes the rules were changed and Brighton were allowed to score 2 goals by kicking the ball into the hoardings at the side of the pitch. When I awoke I was surprised to see it was still 4-0.

eddie_squidd and Justjazz like this.
  9. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Can fully understand you falling asleep while United are playing? Although being a Saints supporter I'm more used to having nightmares.

10. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I think that’s a good point. Also though, Red Bull has always been a team with a chip on its shoulder. They were dismissed at first of course for just being a soft drinks company and that probably stung, but other teams have been jokes in their time (Williams come to mind) but have grown out of that as they have become successful. Red Bull still seem to be clinging to that bitterness. Time to grow up.

ched999uk likes this.

11. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

I don't understand how they haven't opened their eyes and at least seen that most people outside of the Lewis fans, Max fans and Merc/RBR teams have called this a racing incident or apportioned blame slightly to one or the other but not absolving the other of blame.

I haven't seen very many people say it's 100% one or the other to blame outside the categories I initially mentioned.

How have RBR not stepped back and thought, maybe we're looking at this with biased eyes? x_x Instead just doubling down on their opinion.

ched999uk likes this.
  12. SgtBhaji

That is a problem with some people. They can only see things in black and white. Sometimes incidents are clear cut that a single driver is at fault, but many times there's is a ton of grey. But, what's gone on after this one has given some Max fans the belief he was 100% free of blame, and some Hamilton fans are unable to accept he had his part to play in the whole thing at all.

Some say 60/40 Hamilton, but I still say it was a 50/50 for me. Had both cars come out mostly unscathed, but for say a pair of punctures that put them both back, I'm not sure there would be all the fuss or the penalty awarded. But, that's just my opinion on the whole thing.

Big Ern and ched999uk like this.
  13. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Good point, had both drivers got through the corner still on track we would all be raving about the driver skill and thrill of one off the fastest corners of any track.
    Margins are very fine at the speeds both cars entered Copse so very hard to apportion blame? Some of the comments coming out of the RB team have been embarrassing.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  14. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Interestingly we are all talking about it a week on. Why, because it was going to happen sooner or later. I think we have analysed the incident and subsequent tantrums in depth.
    I think we all agree the drivers championship will be won by either Max or Lewis.
    Who do you think will be the eventual drivers championship winner and why?

It is a bit of a gamble but I will say Lewis. Why? Experience of knowing what it takes and possible engine penalties for Red Bull.

SgtBhaji and ched999uk like this.
  15. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

This post is about to become Exhibit A in the case of RBR vs FIA.

16. SgtBhaji

I still think it will be Max... Depending on what Merc can pull out of the bag over the summer break.

So far this season, Max has been superb has as the car, which is a pretty big hurdle to overcome. But...we all saw what Merc managed to do following pre-season testing, so no telling what they have yet to find.

I was really starting to warm to Max prior to last weekend. He's been driving pretty incredibly, but some of that has been reset. Maybe predominantly down to the whole RBR response. The Horner statement/blog was just the final straw for me... So I'm hoping they get royally stuffed in the second half of the season. Pretty sure the next race will be all RBR though.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  17. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I still think Max / RBR will win both Championships , but I so don’t want that to happen because of things that have been said . Shame , but I hate them .

All this has done is wind up MB .

ched999uk likes this.
  18. SgtBhaji

It's just Horner and Helmut for me.... They just wind me up. 4 seasons of domination and they still were able to totally destroy their relationship with (and the reputation of) Renault at the first sign of trouble. They just seem so, arrogant maybe? I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Somebody else at the helm, and it could be completely different.

19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I was getting to like Max ( not any more ). When I say I hate them it’s Horner and the Helmet . I no way do I include Adrian Newey or any others of the team , and that press girl who was with Danni Ric , I think I’m in love

20. Big Ern

I've never minded Horner before, but he's lost his head a bit over this imo, he all but accused Hamilton of trying to kill Max. I understand they're all hypocrites, but considering the dirty and dangerous tactics employed by Max since coming to F1, it's taken hypocrisy to a whole new level.

As to Max, I don't expect anything other than a sense of entitlement from him, regardless of situation. I think the only reason we believed he'd calmed down was because every other driver has experience of how dirty he is and try to avoid being taken out by him.