1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fledgling Rumour ...

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Consett Mag, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

Anyone heard any gossip about our leader being attracted to full ownership of Rangers, and using the finance from selling us to fund it?

This would fit with the total lack of investment in player purchasing over the summer.

2. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

It's mentioned on NUFC.com which is hopeful (currently the third article down). Apparently the story originated over the border and the supposed buyers are USA based.

3. magicbus

magicbus Member

Please please

4. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Tasty. That's essentially the quote I saw on the Evening Chronicle site and I wondered where it came from.

I can't say that I'm not ungrateful for our finances being put in order and us getting away from "we buy any dud" mentality we had under Freddie Shepherd. But we're going through an uninspiring period where we seem to be not interested in sorting any of the failings of last season. So it's more in hope that we're standing still for a reason.

5. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

a lot of my mates have mentioned it.
    hope to god it's true.

6. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

just a few points to ponder...

#Rangers must be a much lower value than us... so why does he need to sell our club first when he made a shed load of profit this year? (Fifa rules bar ownership clashes in the same country if memory serves).
    #Why would he go from the prem to Scotland... a poor league?
    #In this calendar year we have 5 permanent first team signings and a first team loan signing... this isn't bad business at all surely

I@m off to get my prayer mat out....

7. mag la rue

mag la rue Member

Why exactly does he need to sell us to buy them? Their shares are listed at 44p each and there's (according to the LSE) only 3.25 million of them. So even at a double your money for the major share holders (of which there are about ten) it still pocket change to a billionaire (forgive my lack of share dealing knowledge if I'm being oblivious to a glaringly obvious thing here).
    As I understand it they're on the brink of collapse again, which is the kind of business Ashley likes.
    And as the second biggest club in Scotland their inevitable march up the leagues is a dead cert with minimal investment required and will thus see a return to Rangers-Celtic-all the rest, ad infinitum.
    He can play his footballing game/brand whoring with better odds on a win than down here at a fraction of the cost. Okay the financial viability of a Scottish premiership team is poor, but he's in it to sell his SD empire and what better stage than the more easily accessible Champions League?

8. Keith Fit

Keith Fit Well-Known Member

I like this. It make sense. Business, buy low/sell high - that's all Ashley knows. US investment is good, it is still based on PnL but also speculation. It aint sugar daddy style, but its sustainable. There's a lot to like, but the subtle side of this makes me skeptical.

9. bishbosh

bishbosh Active Member

If only this were true! I'm afraid it's a bit of a pipe dream as Ashley has priced Newcastle way over the market odds which has put any potential buyers off. (Probably the reason why we never hear of anyone trying to buy our club!)
    I think we will have to ride it out for a few more years yet - at least until he has his loan repaid - but probably not even then if he is making £20M+ profit from the club every year!
    Unfortunately, we are stuck with Ashley for the long haul. All hope of any ambition is lost!

The lack of investment in player purchasing is the same as last summer - he does not want to spend any money!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.