1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Flat Battery

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No, not talking about City this time, just the one on a car. Anyone tried one of the Lithium Polymer jump starters on the market? I hadn't but had some trouble recently with a car I'd kept unused for a while because I've bought a new one which seems to have upset a few Wurzels recently..........<laugh>:emoticon-0105-wink:

Anyway, back to the jump starter. I've seen them around for a while and often wondered if they did what they claimed. The car I've kept is my old favourite 550i Touring with a 4.8 litre V8. It's 12 years old now and it's worth far more to me than I'd ever get for it - I just can't bear to get rid of it.

When used regularly I didn't have a problem, but after standing unused for well over a week over Christmas, the battery was dead as a dodo. It's not the battery, there's some sort of small parasitic battery drain that saps it when parked up and not driven. I've noticed it for a while now, and whilst theres' no problem jump starting it from another vehicle, it's just a pain getting jump leads out. So I thought I'd invest in one of these Lithium packs. Very sceptical of the claims but scanned the options on Amazon during Black Friday week and went for one that looked good - £169 with £109 off <yikes> so at £60 it looked a bargain.

Now I know some of you are expecting me to say "what a load of crap", but honestly it is fecking amazing - I couldn't believe it! On a freezing cold morning my battery was flat as a pancake. It would hardly open the central locking. There was no way my battery would ever turn over that V8 and I had the usual "clunk" when I pressed the starter button. Right - out with the lithium pack, attached it to the the battery pos and earth post and - wallup! - turned over and fired straight away! For something so small (smaller and half the weight of a bag of sugar) I couldn't believe the instant power it provided.

Well worth getting one and keeping it in the back of the car for emergencies. Important to get one with a decent peak output - they vary quite a lot - but for this one to turn over and start a freezing cold 4.8L V8 like that amazed me. I've used it twice now and the charge indicator has hardly dropped - a quick top up with the plug-in mains charger and it's back up to full charge ready if ever needed.

PS - this is not a sales pitch - just something non football to talk about with anyone interested.......<laugh><ok>

2. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Our weighing scales in the bathroom has a flat battery since Christmas.

Well that's what the Mrs recons.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Well don't try to jump start her.....:emoticon-0105-wink:

DaiJones likes this.
  4. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Surprised Masky hasn't asked if he can borrow the charger for Doris. <yikes>

DaiJones likes this.
  5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

It's not a charger Bluey, it's an instant power pack. No need to wait - just connect it and hit the button.

Come to think of it though, it'd give Masky's pacemaker a boost when Doris needs it.......<laugh>

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  6. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

I know fk all about cars but have used them starter things........they work a treat and worth getting one if you have battery faults......

meanwhile a 4.8 guzzler I wouldn't keep............so doris your fkd (excuse the pun).

dai it sounds like you cleared a small farm of it animals this year dude.

DaiJones likes this.
  7. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Beat me to it!

8. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Sparkey.... probably the best thread you've started in a long time. Pretty well pissed myself all the way through.

Oldsparkey and DaiJones like this.
  9. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

And now I suppose I have to go to the Wurzels' thread to see what you've been up to there.

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Don't bother Furter - they've gone all sensitive and are deleting my posts if I dare to question them.......<laugh>

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Anyway, it looks like no one else has got one of these Lithium Polymer pack thingys. Got to tell you fellas - when you come back to your car, particularly away from home and the battery is flat for some reason, don't say I didn't warn you!

Remember if you've got an automatic, you can't bump start it........<whistle> (I'm taking orders now.....<laugh>)