1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

First Team Squad

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Southern A, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Just looking at the squad list as it stands. Assuming Hume, O'Nien and Wyke are gone. And assuming Grigg will be as well.

GK - Burge, Patterson

RB -
    CB - Flanagan, Xhemajli
    CB - Wright, Younger, Willis (out for season)
    LB -

CM - Winchester
    CM - Neil

RW - Gooch, Diamond
    AM - Embleton, Hawkes
    LW - McGeady

FWD - Stewart, O'Brien

Clearly at an absolute minimum we need 4 full backs, 3 centre mids, a left winger and a striker. Personally I'd like another first choice centre back as well and to loan Younger out.

That's 9. I think people will want even more, but I would like to see the likes of Embleton and Hawkes get a prolonged shot at things.

2. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

That’s minging, that. To say we’re desperate for some quality in key areas is an understatement.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Billy Batts, Draig and samwise_new like this.
  3. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Certainly the areas that you highlight are right. I think we'll bring in another keeper too.

Personally, I think Younger did well when called upon, so should be one of our five CB's. If we can get Sanderson or similar over the line then I would sell Flanagan and keep Younger in there. He's earned the right to be given his chance to break through.

FellTop and samwise_new like this.
  4. LD19SAFC

We need to if we want promotion. Burge just isn’t good enough.

Random lad and samwise_new like this.
  5. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i think it is bad that we are still waiting for players to decide, while i am well past the stage of worrying if a certain player was to leave, it does not put the club in the best position when needing to sign replacements/back up...surely would have been better for the club to make it a basic 'take it or leave it' offer and give them a date to give a decision, not sure i want players here who are now appearing to be waiting to see what other offers may or may not come in for them.

i know it is their career and that it is a short one, and i also cannot blame them for making the most they can out of it...but unless something like a move to the premiership comes along they will not be making any 'massive' wage increases moving around league one, especially once you take into account the upheaval/cost of moving lock stock and barrel into account...but i just feel it is easier to stay put, especially at a club that now looks like it can finally move forward.

whatever the outcome i just hope they decide fast and the club can start moving on transfers knowing who they need.

6. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

apparently he had very good stats to be fair to him, but i also feel he cost us too many points...never filled me with confidence which is something you need from a keeper, if the defence feels the same that is when you get more mistakes.

Random lad likes this.
  7. Southern A

Such is the re-build needed on our squad, a replacement for Burge is probably not in my top 5 priorities. He's good enough. We could do better but he's good enough if the budget is needed elsewhere.

Daz and safc-noggieland like this.
  8. Norway

Norway Well-Known Member

A keeper s one of the most difficult positions to fill. Some fit in great in the beginning then fall away, but it takes a lot of confidence from the other players to get a settled keeper. Some will say a settled defence will make a good keeper, but its usually the keeper himself, if he makes a few good saves, and gets good feedback and comments from the men in front of him he will get loads of confidence,. Burge has done a brilliant job, apart from one or two mistakes which all keepers make.
    Sorry if this isa bit rambling I'm having my first good drink in a while.

safc-noggieland likes this.
  9. LD19SAFC

Disagree, unless we’re targeting and you’re happy with the play-offs again?

Random lad likes this.
  10. LD19SAFC

<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh> I think you’ve had too much to drink already.

Random lad and Pablo like this.

11. Southern A

Nope - he's good enough to be in a promoted team. The team is what needs to be better. A better keeper would give us a better chance with weaker outfield players like we had last year of course.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  12. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Best keeper in the league last season according to stats and neutrals. But don’t let facts get in the way!

only 2 keepers in the league conceded less!

definitely a good enough league 1 keeper. Made us more points than he cost last season. But people often forget the 6 or 7 saves he made in previous games when he makes 1 mistake which costs a goal.

He was also, in no small part, responsible for us winning a cup as much as Gooch was.

Who’s better? (At our level)

Daz and safc-noggieland like this.
  13. LD19SAFC

Really?! <laugh> You’re easily pleased.

MacGillivray who’s just signed for Charlton is a better GK than Burge, without doubt. Ben Amos too.

Pablo likes this.
  14. Southern A

I definitely think there are better options than Burge. I just think its low on the priority list when we need 4 full backs and at least 2 midfielders just to be able to have a bare minimum squad size.

clockstander likes this.
  15. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I can see the argument that the keeper is a low priority position when Burge did ok for the most part and the squad is bare bones.

For me though if we start next season with him as our top keeper I'll be disappointed. I want someone who comes for crosses and commands the defence.

16. LD19SAFC

Totally agree.

17. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Picture of entire first team squad at training this morning...

dancing_skeletons_clip_art_22971.jpg

DH4 likes this.
  18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Good to see Flanagan's bulked up a bit.

DH4, Teessidemackem and Draig like this.
  19. LD19SAFC

The squad is hideous currently, nobody can deny that. It’s mad to think the bookies still have us as favourites to win the league <doh>

20. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Can someone, Speakman or Johnson, come out and say what's going on? We are dreadfully short of numbers.

Random lad and Charley Farley like this.