1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Finishing the season

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Eireleeds1, Mar 14, 2020.

1. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

I agree - season incomplete and voided.
    Victimpool will of course go to court to insist it finishes for the next 35 years <laugh><laugh>

2. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

How long do they run for?

3. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Till they get there

4. Eric Le Merde

why voided, if it was a single match played to the same extent of completion then the score would stand and be a result.

5. TC (Lovely Geezer)

No it wouldn't - it would be replayed as per rule 7

6. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Forget the wind-up, Prem & EFL have already said this season will be played to a finish. Thought you'd be happy, you can still make the play-offs.

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  7. Eric Le Merde

According to rule 33.2 (EFL) The board can order the result of an abandoned match to stand. Rule 7 relates to:

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 5.30.09 am.png

Which only really applies to Millwall

8. Eric Le Merde

I know what they have said, they also said the season will be suspended until 30th April, now if they had then said 2021 I may have considered them to have some credibility but really another 3 weeks (approx) is going to make all the difference?

2 pennth likes this.
  9. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Can't see how it can finish - this virus will still be here for many many months.

2 pennth and Eric Le Merde like this.
  10. Leedsoflondon

You don't start the next season, which is kind of what has been agreed I think.

11. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Too much red tape there.
    All teams have players whose contracts end in June - Charlton for instance, will only have 10 eligible players by then (2 of which are keepers) and are under a transfer embargo.

And God only knows how many teams will be decimated because of the disease!!

12. Leedsoflondon

So what do you think they will do?

13. TC (Lovely Geezer)

The army officers in Sandhurst (I live next doors to one of them and 100% believe him) have been told that they have to have their units ready for mobilization by mid April (20,000 is the figure mentioned)
    They have not been told what will be expected of them, but he expects that they will be running make shift hospitals and filling in as and when police get sick or on the streets if the **** hits the fan.
    They have been told that these special ops are expected to last well into next year, so what I think should happen re football is completely irrelevant!

14. Leedsoflondon

so why bother mentioning players contracts etc. team’s being decimated and charlton in your earlier posts?

15. TC (Lovely Geezer)

That was an answer to an entirely different question.

16. Eric Le Merde

Yes, but the same subject, it was only you mentioning your neighbour, is he your special friend, one you can trust 100%?

So stretching credibility to the limits and assuming Millwall were at the top of the league would you still want the season declared null and void?

17. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I fully expect season to finish as the authorities have said. Just no idea when and it’s kind of irrelevant at the moment. But here’s a question, what new restrictions will follow on from this re crowds and seating arrangements. Will the two metre apart rule continue to apply if the virus is not eradicated. If so, it would be impossible to have any contact sport or realistically have spectators stand or sit that far apart. Image what boxing would look like. Tennis and golf would survive

18. Eric Le Merde

Realistically I can't see the season being completed. Perhaps the PL can afford to keep players on contracts and getting no gate receipts but the EFL can't and so there will come a point when the owners just close the business down. I don't know how long that would take or when the EFL money would run out but, in my opinion, that is what would happen. Will it happen? that depends on the control of the virus. Johnson says the tide will turn in 12 weeks, Our PM ScoMo has closed our borders for an initial 6 months. Will either time be sufficient to get the virus under control or a solution found? It's possible if these time scales are reasonable, especially the 12 weeks, the finances of the clubs may last but more than 6 months? I suspect not.

I think there needs to be an agreed plan for what happens if it can't be finished, if you like a Plan B. Not everybody is going to be happy but at least there would be some clarity. The football authorities will have done risk assessments on the various options and so will know what they would go for in the event the season can't be finished and so I think they should share their conclusion, perhaps they have with the clubs, I don't know.

ristac likes this.
  19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Listening to Talk Sport as this was initially announced, they all seemed in agreement that the wording and noises coming out of the EFL and PL suggested the season would finish no matter when, it is next season that is in doubt. They were suggesting Internationals and cups would be scrapped for 20/21

I firmly believe this season will be finished and I think depending on when it resumes they might use this to alter the season start and end to help with the World Cup. They were dismissing behind closed doors as medical staff and ambulances would be required elsewhere. I feel clubs could get around this by hiring private firms

20. Eric Le Merde

I can see the logistics would work it's the money running out that I think will focus the minds. I hope it does get done but........