1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Financial woes

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, May 31, 2019.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Never supported Bury but very sad to see any club fold, RIP Bury but I would be very pleased to see that like the phoenix you rise very soon from the ashes,

I feel for the players that stuck by them and now find themselves out of work with mortgages and bills to pay and famalie's to feed. I hope that whoever they are that there are clubs that can offer them playing positions and lets not forget the team management and office staff

2. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Just like any other collapsed business then OT when you think about it although somehow you never really think it is going to happen to a football club, they all just seem to be there forever.

Apparently something like forty three of the fifty one businesses that Steve Dale has been involved in have liquidated !! What on earth were the EFL brass doing / thinking when he bought The Shakers for a solitary bronze one ?

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The owner bought the club for £1 and wanted over £3 million in return to sell Bury. As he wasnt getting those offers, he kept refusing offers for the club, offers that would have saved Bury. Now the owner will probably sell the stadium to make a profit and strip the club of all its assets.

The annoying thing is, every league 2 club last season complained to the football league saying it was unfair on the money they were spending to buy promotion. The football league attempted many times to get the owner to provide evidence that they could pay the bills. But this info never was given. Bury ended up buying promotion with money they never had and a club missed out on promotion as a result. That is not fair.

However, I feel for their fans. They no longer have a club until August the latest 2020 when they have too apply for membership in non league. But if they actually liquidate then they will have to form a new club and start from the very bottom like AFC Wimbledon did.

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Bolton have new owners. So good news for them and survival looks more likely. However, the bad news is, they will now be free to make new signings until the window shuts next week, so they will be a stronger side when we face them, so those who have already beaten them 5-0 have had the advantage over us with 3 points and a good goal difference as it will now be doubtful that we will face 9 17 year olds and win 5-0 as well. Farce.

5. MavPirate

MavPirate New Member

Just reading through this thread and echo the sentiments regarding Bury. It's a crying shame that the owners and the football league ever allowed things to get so bad. Reckless and unchecked spending has ultimately cost the fans.

The owner should be tarred and feathered for his part in it all. I think the football league need to bring in rules around compulsory purchase when a club gets into that sort of state in future.

6. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Whereas over in the South Western Suburbs a profit in excess of 11 large ones has just been announced :emoticon-0172-mooni

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

They've sold a few players for big money in last 12 months so not surprised.

8. old timer

Noticed in the press on Thursday or Friday that Lansdown wrote off loans to the value of £70 million

9. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Although not desirable I would suspect small fry to a chap like SL, a very shrewd business man with massive capital and investments although it does make you wonder doesn't it where Bristol City Football Club would be without him ?..... if only he had stepped across to our side of the river eh !

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Lansdown will probably buy the fruit market to build a new stadium for Bristol Bears.

11. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

The Trotters get off lightly ! Who'd 'av thought it eh ? I don't quite understand this decision bearing in mind what has gone before, does this mean now then that if you have some players injured you can call a game { or games } off to protect the mental well being of some otherwise enthusiastic younger members of the squad and escape any type of retribution from the league ?
    There is a funny whiff eminating from this action which has made League One this season look like a proper joke, I am pretty much sure that if the club in question didn't quite have the historical standing as BWFC then the outcome of this sorry affair would have been quite different.

If Bolton do avoid relegation this year and others go down { as they surely will } then there is going to be some pretty bad feeling towards the Whites from the North West.

12. old timer

It reminds me of a decision made pre premier league days when Peterborough and Man Utd were found guilty of the same crime to do with player transfers. Peterborough were relegated and Man Utd were fined a paltry amount. It is good to see the well known / Big clubs still get preferential treatment, if it was Rovers in this position then I think a further point deduction would have applied

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

That decision to give them a suspended points deduction was made by an independent panel. The EFL today has come out and said they disagree with it and will appeal as they think its too lenient.

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/november/efl-to-appeal-disciplinary-commission-decision

An EFL spokesman said:

"The EFL is disappointed by the conclusions reached by the independent Disciplinary Commission in respect of Bolton Wanderers and it is the firm view of the League that the sanction imposed is too lenient when consideration is given to all the circumstances of the case.

"Given the potential for postponements to have a significant impact on competition integrity and, following receipt of advice overnight on the reasons provided, the League will appeal the outcome in the strongest possible sense."