1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Financial mismanagement

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Jiffie, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

So as many fans had already realised several seasons ago, something was financially not right at our club and now the financial mismanagement of the club has been finally laid bare.

Last season only 5 clubs in the championship had a higher wage bill and 3 of those were promoted at the end of the season.

Also if true rumours suggest that Nakhi Wells earns more than Bukayo Saka at Arsenal.

OK covid was unforseen but still what have we got to show for this ridiculous wage bill? oh yes a potential points deduction and overpaid/under performing players, who will almost certainly expect a cash incentive to move their arses on, as some of them still have a year left on their contracts.

Angelicnumber16 and Redprintt like this.
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

A well discussed subject but let's get the conversation buzzing, the people mainly responsible for the mismanagement, overspend, negotiation, financial direction with regard to players contracts value and length, depth and size of first team squad, wage structures have moved on, these individuals being MA and his crew plus LJ and his acolytes, the advice and recommendations came from this bunch, ok, ok SL & JL had to sign deals off but we all know the direction the advice they took came from.

The Covid pandemic did hit us hard but the faultlines, overspend and FFP threats all eminate back from that regime, it's a burden we have to carry but let's not forget most of blame for current issues started back then, action has been taken and we are on the road to recovery but the shadow of FFP can still bite us in the rear and hard, times will still be tough.

Redprintt likes this.
  3. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Part of the difference between how we have faired and other championship clubs have faired is that the vast majority had signed better quality players and not paid them well over the odds wages, which meant that they could offset covid losses by selling their best players or moving them on because wages were not such an issue. We are lumbered with at least 2 overpaid players that we could not give away in January and the upshot is other players whose services that we might wish to extend their stays, will of course not take a pay cut and will probably expect a pay rise and they will move on for nought.
    We have been drip fed the level of 4 years of mismanagement over several months, the record debts and more recently the record wage bill, but in between all of this there was also a revelation that seems to have slipped under the radar and that is that we are one of the highest payers to agents in the championship presumably for most the the overpaid dross we still have at the club and that begs the question WHY? and if it's so high was somebody trousering a back hander?

PS:- Part of the long gone 5 pillars, was nurture talent from the academy, well that's a tick in the box.
    Another was value for money in the transfer market, that has sadly ended up a shocking failure.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Angelicnumber16 and Redprintt like this.
  4. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

5. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Sadly it might balance the books but not for FFP purposes, the losses were for the past 3 years, we are almost a season into the next 3 year cycle. Hopefully the EFL will make covid allowances, but I won't hold my breath.

I suspect you may be correct about HNM and Semenyo although Semenyo is I believe contracted until 2025 as it stands, Scott might be a different kettle of fish again although contracted until 2025 I can possibly see a loan back to us because of his age, Tottenham have been muted in this regard.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  6. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Based on our team and individual performances this season I can't see many, if indeed any, clubs paying decent money for under performing players currently with Bristol City. HNM to me is a total waste of space because he gives up the ball way too easily and although Semenyo has had some good games I still think he is a work in progress and if he stays at City then I think he will continue to be average. If we were a team on the rise then I could see bidders waiting at the door but right now when we are way off meeting the current criteria of the FFP I can't see much cash value for our players. Our pay packets have been way off the mark and are not even sensible but the people responsible for the mess are long gone and their legacy of lack of due diligence will stink out Ashton Gate for a couple, if not more, seasons to come.

If we should fall afoul of the FFP going into next season and still have to put up with the vast majority of our existing players then we could be in serious relegation trouble which would have many City supporters heading for the hills in vast numbers. :cry:

Supcon72 likes this.