1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Film, TV and hell, even book recommendations!

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 24, 2020.

1. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Was it an accident he asked for the aisle seat? :emoticon-0126-nerd:

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I don't know that he had one. I didnt - she had spotted me sitting in the middle of a row and pushed her way along. When she stopped at me, the looks of rellef on the faces of those to my left were a sight to behold.

3. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I wonder what she saw in you? .<confused>;)

4. Bolton's Boots

Well it certainly wasn't what she saw in Billy Connolly. I saw him in a play at the Duke of York's in London years ago - J.P. Donleavy's The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B - in which he played the part of Beefy, a rather bawdy student priest. In one scene, he walked onto the stage stark naked - everyone could see why he was ideal for the part of Beefy...

5. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Recently we have watched/rewatched and enjoyed these films:

Allied
    American Sniper
    A Time to Kill

Mme is ploughing through books at the speed of sound whilst I slowly read every word of my book on African Music - Africa O Ye. It's not very well written or sequenced but I am learning quite a bit and revisiting my African music CD's with more understanding. I just cannot read fast and I find it tiring.

6. andytoprankin

An excerpt from ‘Earth Abides’ (only just started it, but this jumped out):

“It has never happened!" cannot be construed to mean, "It can never happen!" - as well say, "Because I have never broken my leg, my leg is unbreakable," or "Because I've never died, I am immortal." One thinks first of some great plague of insects-locusts or grasshoppers - when the species suddenly increases out of all proportion, and then just as dramatically sinks to a tiny fraction of what it has recently been. The higher animals also fluctuate. The lemmings work upon their cycle. The snowshoe-rabbits build up through a period of years until they reach a climax when they seem to be everywhere; then with dramatic suddenness their pestilence falls upon them. Some zoologists have even suggested a biological law: that the number of individuals in a species never remains constant, but always rises and falls - the higher the animal and the slower its breeding-rate, the longer
    its period of fluctuation.

During most of the nineteenth century the African buffalo was a common creature on the veldt. It was a powerful beast with few natural enemies, and if its census could have been taken by decades, it would have proved to be increasing steadily. Then toward the century's end it reached its climax, and was suddenly struck by a plague of rinderpest. Afterwards the buffalo was almost a curiosity, extinct in many parts of its range. In the last fifty years it has again slowly built up its numbers.

As for man, there is little reason to think that he can in the long run escape the fate of other creatures, and if there is a biological law of flux and reflux, his situation is now a highly perilous one. During ten thousand years his numbers have been on the upgrade in spite of wars, pestilences, and famines. This increase in population has become more and more rapid. Biologically, man has for too long a time been rolling an uninterrupted run of sevens

7. yorkshirehornet

Great stuff eh

andytoprankin likes this.
  8. andytoprankin

Very readable. I love John Wyndham, and it reads a bit like that.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  9. yorkshirehornet

If you are into wildlife do watch Chris Packhams live feed every morning at nine am Uk time with his stepdaughter Megan... It is truly heartwarming.. They do the whole thing with two mobile phones... A great morning experience...very uplifting with many nany people messaging in...it is on FB

10. Scullion

People should listen to Chris as much as they do Attenborough, his message is not good. Anyone see his recent programme on 17 billion and counting, a stark warning if ever there was one.

andytoprankin likes this.

11. andytoprankin

We’re huge fans of him. He puts his money where his mouth is, as his career is secondary to his campaigning.

12. Scullion

We watched Son of Saul last night. It was not pleasant watching but engrossing and a really well made film.

Based in Auschwitz at the end of the war where a Hungarian Jew wanted to give a young boy a proper Jewish burial after being gassed. He was putting himself at great risk to do this.
    Whilst all this was going on, in the back ground the Nazi's were gassing Jews on a production line in which some of the male prisoners also Jews had to "clean up" after them. A no time during the film were the victims called people or humans but things and items and the Jews cleaning up were completely dehumanised by what they were doing and basically trying to survive before it was their turn.
    Just awful.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  13. andytoprankin

Wow. Heavy stuff. But we have to watch this sort of thing so we remind ourselves of what us humans can do.

yorkshirehornet and canary-dave like this.
  14. Bolton's Boots

[/QUOTE]

There's a political wisecrack welling up inside of me, but I shall resist..

15. yorkshirehornet

There's a political wisecrack welling up inside of me, but I shall resist..[/QUOTE]
    Well done Bolton!

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  16. yorkshirehornet

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29875363-the-fireman

The fireman by Joe Hill is an epic tale of post apocalyptic planet earth after a killer virus.
    Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King.. And this book has a horrific side to it but really it reads as a dystopian epic.

My wife bought the CD from a charity shop a couple of years ago and we spent a summer of driving listening to it. It was exciting, infuriating, inspiring and frightening. At times I railed at the storyline at times we just sat parked up and listened. The CDs were many hours long...

Recommended at this time of you like post apocalyptic fiction and can immerse your self in an epic tale

Many won't like it as it is incredulous in some ways.. Or is it?

17. andytoprankin

We’re planning to watch a 1974 film called ‘Juggernaut’ today. Not sure how it has faired but it was a favourite of mine thirty-odd years ago.

18. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

The ending is still the same!!

19. Bolton's Boots

Back to the 70s here too, today and tomorrow - a couple of Aussie classics (well, that's how I remember them) - The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith and Sunday Too Far Away.

20. Scullion

There's a political wisecrack welling up inside of me, but I shall resist..[/QUOTE]

Sorry BB that's a bit deep for me.