1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FFP - City get off, is it now a dead duck?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Tobes, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Although clubs don't need fans to survive, it's not an insignificant amount that comes in from them. Aren't United set to be one of the worst hit PL clubs by the pandemic due to sheer size of their matchday income?

Not that I disagree with your general point, just don't see the English clubs really pushing for it due to the money that's in the PL anyway. Bit different for some of the other big European clubs in lesser watched leagues.

Hope I'm wrong anyway, be the best thing to happen to English football in decades.

2. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

That point hasn’t been proven at all. Match day revenue even for the largest clubs still equates to circa 15% of total revenue generated and is roughly 1/3rd that of the total broadcasting revenues.

Even at our largest club - United, their matchday revenues are roughly double their annual net profit. The idea that a Super League that fans didn’t take to or want at all, would be something that clubs could just ride through, because of a global fanbase that they all struggle to fully monetise anyway, because of piracy and fake merchandise, is for the birds.

The irony is, that the largest advocate on here for fans meaning nothing and the TV punter being King. Doesn’t even pay for his football, as he illegally streams it, and yet here he is trying to maintain that punters like him are the future of ‘their’ clubs worldwide, and match goers are somehow privileged and subsidised. You couldn’t make it up.

duggie2000 likes this.
  3. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Too lazy to look it up, but what is the proportion of income of broadcasting now compared to gate revenue, in comparison to 1992? My point is that the direction of travel means the largest clubs need TV money more than they need ticket-paying fans. Especially City, who do seemed to have thrived with half-empty stadiums for a lot of games.

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Don’t knock AFTV, brings much joy to many

5. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

City’s average attendance is at virtual capacity, same as virtually every other PL ground these days. The fact that TV revenues have increased at a far greater rate than match day revenues since the inception of the PL is hardly news like, but neither does it somehow render the wishes of the fanbase as somehow meaningless. Actual fans don’t want a ESL at the expense of domestic football. That’s literally it.

6. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

I'm not saying I do either: then again, I didn't want the Prem. And 'The wishes of the fanbase' could just as easily be turned into a Spirit of Shankly vision as a kid and his dad going to his first game with a rattle and a bobble hat. All I am saying is that money will talk, TV is king (sadly), and the ticket-buying, match-going fan is only as powerful as image, such as Liverpool fans protesting over price and so forth. If the chance to increase that 45% of revenue (that is what you said?) from broadcasting is countered with a 50% drop of the 15% revenue of ticket-buying fans (and it wouldn't be anyway) , you know where it will go, regardless of the 'fans'" wishes.

7. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Nah, you’re completely over stating the potential financial gain whilst hugely minimising the potential risk. As the entire premise rests on a net gain and there’s zero evidence to suggest that there’d be one, in any aspect.

8. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't pay for football these days with all games televised and the compressed schedule meaning you can watch half a season with a month's pass? I've got the full set of Sky (Now TV), BT Sport, Amazon Prime, and BBC.

#goldenage

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I don't think there's anything wrong with that mate, but it should never be a case of one or the other. The REGULAR match going supporters are the heart and soul of not just the clubs, but the sport itself.

We have no idea the impact the empty stadiums is having on performances either btw. It absolutely makes a difference for many (if not all) clubs.

10. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Balance is good but before it was too heavy towards stadium fans. Regular match going supporters should appreciate they are in a privileged position.

There are huge numbers of supporters who are physically or financially unable to go. Together they contribute far more than stadium fans. Stadium fans are even subsidised by them with cheap season ticket prices (in Everton's case 19% cheaper than 10 years ago in real terms).

Abroad you can watch all the PL games on TV no problem. So the UK has the worst possible system. Games aren't on TV because theoretically you can go to them, but for many cases you simply can't.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Not sure it's privileged, you pay through the nose these days for a season ticket. Way more than any individual's tv subscriptions added together, even with the ST subsidy.

I accept you can only fit so many in a stadium and there will always be need for TV audiences so provide for the market, just not let it drive the sport that's all. It's like saying scrap Test Match cricket because 20/20 has more viewers.

You can watch premier league matches abroad, but can they watch their domestic games for free in places like Spain, Italy, Germany? If they can then we're being shafted by the satellite channels aren't we, and if they can''t then they're no different to the UK.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

I feel so privileged to do a 500 mile round trip in the pouring rain, losing 14 hours of my day, and spending over a oner to see us get humped 3-0 by Burnley.

13. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

You’re being subsidised by your club though mate, so be grateful that there’s hardcore armchairs out there paying for a day pass on Now TV, in order to help pay for your experience.

14. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Privileged by opportunity not just cost. The price of season tickets hasn't increased with inflation. Not that the price should go up. Instead I think automatic renewal should be scrapped and each season you apply like a lottery. This is mainly for cases like LFC where the waiting list got to 25,000 people so they just gave up on it.

The problem with pre-covid TV is they don't even broadcast most games so you can't even pay in the first place. They're like the music industry before Apple, begging you to pirate their product by refusing to even take your money.

NLDISRED likes this.
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's cheaper if you hire a plane and stick a banner on the back.

16. astro

astro Well-Known Member

How does Everton's squad cost rise from £70m to £390m in 7 years but the cost of a ticket decrease 19%? Subsidised.

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think we've gone rather off track of the point, which was the fact that a European Super League is not more important than the loss of regular match-going fans. I'm not really arguing the points you're raising above as I think there is merit in them. But to say that home fans don't matter as much as seeking revenue from TV viewers through a Super League is imo a slippery slope to a game losing its soul and one that is already being detached from its roots - not just in terms of the location but in its traditional fanbase.

duggie2000 likes this.
  18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Try £350m of Mosh’s dirty oligarch cash. It might be that.

19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

He’s so out of touch with his ‘own’ club it’s unreal.

If the Sherman’s who own the Kopite franchise announced they were ditching domestic football for a European Super League there’s absolutely no chance their fanbase would accept that. There’d be hell on. The Yanks crumpled like a cheap Polyester suit when they tried to charge £75 an arse for some of the Stapler Stand seats when SoS got involved & screamed blue murder.

The idea that Liverpool’s fans would either want or accept a ESL at the expense of domestic footie is for the birds.

Treble likes this.
  20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Well next time drop me a text and we will go for a kebab to cheer you up. I’m only other side of the hills

Libby likes this.