1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread FC Midtjylland V Saints. Europa League Play Off 2nd Leg 27/08/15 ko 19:45

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintkitch, Aug 25, 2015.

1. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Here's a thing. We could well lose on Sunday, let's prepare ourselves for that. Whereas last year after the departures I think there was a bit of a siege mentality combined with very low expectations, and the team came out fighting and surprised people. This year it feels mentally like they've been a bit worn down by the departures and constant speculation and it's all a bit depressed.

If we lose on Sunday it's not the end of the world. It really isn't. Let me explain why I think that -

Normally I HATE the international breaks - they tend to be an irritant, a possibility of our players getting injured, and I just don't have much heart for Hodgson's England, so I lose interest. This year however it's like an early Christmas present. It'll give the team and Ronald some much needed time to turn things around, tactically, but equally in terms of the mentality. I honestly think it'll be a HUGE boost to the psychology of the team to have Bertrand and Clasie back, along with (hopefully) VVD and whoever else. Plus it means NO MORE TRANSFER WINDOW.

So there's a really nicely timed, good opportunity there to almost start again.

I'm fine with that. I'm also not going to get stressed if we hoof it around and lose on Sunday as a result. As Beef said, it's got the feel of a transitionary season. Let's keep our expectations in check, along with our disappointment.

(I also reserve the right to be completely wrong and talking bollocks).

3. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

I'm utterly devastated by this loss, I was so looking forward to playing in Europa league group stages. All the effort we invested last season to get here, only to crash out in such a disappointing manner. Last time I was this gutted was when Pochettino refused even to try to win against Sunderland in the Capital one cup. It will take me some time to recover. :(

But whilst very important to me, going out of Europe is not so important in the bigger picture, playing in europe is always something extra, while how we fare in the league is the most important thing. And there are some pressing issues to address here. What happened with our game? Sure, we had matches when we played sterile and uninventive football, but never have I seen us resorting so often to long balls. Our only action tonight was for a CB (Caulker or Fonte) to hoof the ball in the general direction of Pelle. It was drab, boring and to no avail and something has to be done about it.

4. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

Did you manage to get over there?

PE213 likes this.
  5. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Having broken my thumb in two places. Then had ligament damage so have had needed physio two days a week nope. I would have loved to have done so. But I enjoyed watching our fans away from home and the whole atmosphere on a match day at St Marys.

6. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

I don't think your talking bollocks LTL but I'm not happy to watch hoofball,I don't mind losing but I spend a small fortune to watch Saints and I want to be entertained.(I know it's my choice,don't seem to be able to say no though)
    Edit. Of course I mind losing,but you know.

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

The direct style isn't just not nice to watch but in today's game, it isn't effective.

8. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I only really meant hoofball against Norwich may be a possibility whilst the injuries get sorted out. I hope I'm wrong with that. What I was trying to suggest was that the 'real Saints' (and the passing, pretty kind) may take until after the beautifully timed international break to emerge.

9. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

10. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

I'm in danger of going on a bit but it's not just direct style,we've started to hook the ball 20yds or so from all defenders or heading like a park team somewhere near to the midfield and hoping,I can't fathom why.

11. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Did Hull crash out in the Europa qualifiers too last season?
    Also, did Wigan the season before, or were they automatically into the group stages due to FA Cup win?

12. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

*reads through saintsweb reaction*

*...contemplates...*

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  13. Solent_Saint

Solent_Saint Member

Right I've let the dust settle a bit before posting and didn't see the match due to not paying OTT for BT Sport (quite glad now) listened to Radio Solent instead. There seems to be a load of reasons why we are performing as badly as we are the main one I think is confidence. How do they regain their confidence well one way that I think is by the manager and the team knowing their first 11. At the moment we aren't settled on our first choice 11 and the team don't know the first 11 either (transfer window still open and injuries) so haven't had time to train and work on patterns of play etc.

Players like to know where they stand and their responsibilities in the team at the moment with the transfer window still being open and our first team squad not being settled yet it is difficult for them to gel together. It is no surprise to me that Stekelenberg, Fonte (c) and Pelle have been performing consistently so far as they are pretty much guaranteed there positions in the team and know their role. Wanyama and Mane also looked good until the events of the past week.

This time last year we had played 2 PL matches and 1 LC game and had hardly looked world beaters. 1-2 loss to Liverpool, 0-0 Draw with WBA, 0-2 win against Millwall

When we have Clasie, Bertrand, (maybe Romeu or another), (CB or Van Dijk), and decided about playing Cedric or Martina consistently no matter who we are playing and their style then I think we will be ok. I'm going to wait until after the international break and when some of these players return/brought in until I make my assessment on the team.

From September - November 2014 we W9 D1 L2 in all competitions. That breeds confidence, let's wait and see.

(That took me ages to type, it was a lot easier thinking it than typing it out)

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  14. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

We're definitely in trouble. This is a team we should have been able to beat easily, twice. And we've been crap in PL as well. Can't just shrug it off like "oh when, our players come back..." We're not going to be healthy the whole year, teams never are. And it's not like we're just barely losing because some backup made a mistake. The style we are playing is almost unrecognizable, and even the regular starters have been unimpressive.

Going out of Europa is definitely going to hurt morale, and we already have players who have an eye on the door. This could easily spiral out of control.

That said, it's never easy. I worried about us the whole first year in PL. Then last year when we lost all our players, that was pretty grim as well. Nothing to do but hope the team keeps fighting and Koeman can get them straightened out. The talent we have is more than enough to finish mid-table or lower top-half as long as they don't implode.

This weekend's game has suddenly become crucial.

15. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I think we will losexagainst Norwich, but they area good team with brilliant support. To Early to panic IMHO.

16. fatletiss

I was being polite Roy. I agree with you.

17. fatletiss

What will happen Sunday is that unless we score in the first 10-15 minutes, the crowd will get impatient if we start keeping the ball. It happens quite a bit near me.

Right now, I think the players need to gain some confidence. Good possession can help that. I don't mean keep it for the sake of it, but I do mean that if we we get it and there is no clear option forward early, or there is not the space for a player to carry the ball forward, we should check out and start again. If we keep giving the ball back to the opposition, confidence will drop.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  18. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

Bloody hell mush, what are you??....a stunt man!!

19. fatletiss

No, he's the Southern area Thumb War Finalist. Losing finalist, obviously.

My daughter (13) has scarily strong thumbs

#1234ideclareathumbwar

ChilcoSaint and pompeymeowth like this.
  20. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

Was anyone else a bit disappointed with Koeman's answer to the Wanyama questions post match? Something along the lines of "I heard about this for the first time last week and now he is sick" and also before the game "I have to believe the doctor". Not very convincing and could have been more bullish in my opinion. I have Wanyama on the back of my shirt too. I can only imagine what our early Europa League exit will do for the rumours of players leaving/wanting to leave. I'm sure Vic's agent will be having a field day.

About the match, I'm absolutely gutted. Such a disappointing end to an exciting European venture. I felt last night as low as I have since we lost to Derby in penalties in the play-offs. I know we have to show some patience but there isn't much to be hopeful about yet. Sunday is a must win if we want to start turning the season around. No goals from open play in our last 4 games is awful.