1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Favourite series of books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Resurgam, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Rich44

Rich44 Well-Known Member

Dresden files series by Jim butcher absolutely brilliant detective + magic series

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

2. zozozela

zozozela Active Member

Absolutely agree re Dresden Files - also check out the series by Aaronovich starting with the Rivers of London.

Favourite series of books though is the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Utterly amazing and absorbing. First book to make me gasp since I first read that Frodo was going to the Grey Havens!

3. A.L.D.O 4.1

A.L.D.O 4.1 1 of the top defendants in Europe

Currently reading the last book in Rick Atkinson's liberation triology . Three books that tell the story of the Anglo-American war against Germany starting un north Africa through Sicily and italy and onto France . All three are excellent and the author pulls no punches when it comes to telking the whole ugly truth if war , especially the stupidity of commanders .

The Dark tower is probably my favourite series of books . Just read them all again last year .

@Sven Hassle . Enjiyed those books when I was a lad . Pretty damn funny . Leo Kessler is another author who tells the story of WWII from a German pov .

4. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

There was a clear favourite for me in the John Le Carre Tinker Tailor, The Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley's People trilogy but now I'm not so sure as I have just finished the Stieg Larsson trilogy The Girl With The Dragon, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. I found all three books riverting so much so that I was reading them until the early hours of the morning and I have since bought the DVD's, as I did with the Smiley stuff, they are all good reads to me.

Incidentally someone mentioned the 50 Shades Of Grey stuff, well this is actually a trilogy and overall its an old fashioned love story albeit a kinky one. But all the fuss was made over the first book overshadowed the continuing story in the subsequent books and yes I have read the trilogy and it isn't all that bad. The puzzling part for me was that it was alledged that women loved this book when considering it contained much violence against a woman, albeit connected to alledged sexual pleasure, I found that most odd that this was the situation.

5. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've been pretty impressed with the latest Christopher Brookmyre series with Jasmine Sharp and Catherine Mcleod. For those who care they're called Where the Bodies are Buried, When the Devil Drives and Flesh Wounds. All Glaswegian gangland fiction books but not bad at all.

6. Blake Slavin

Blake Slavin New Member

I love reading books. Generally I prefer to read books on personality development, human behaviour and Travel and Entertainment. One can see more detail information at http://www.hilarytopper.com/.

7. GordonnotRamsay

GordonnotRamsay New Member

The Lord of the Rings, IT, Ulysses, The Satanic Verses