1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Favourite Liebherr era Saints team - Manager

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Jun 12, 2018.

?

Who's the gaffer?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2018.
  1. Pardew

1.5%
  2. Adkins

53.8%
  3. Poch

30.8%
  4. Koeman

13.8%
  5. Puel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

None of them come close to Nige imo. I'm a little surprised it's as close as it is.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  2. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I went for the only one who I believe still cares about the club and us Saints fans...Nige is on the bus!...:).

It's debatable whether we would be even discussing the likes of Poch and Ron had he not achieved the very difficult task of getting us out of the Championship with effectively the same squad as we had in L1. I also recognise Pard's input and his signing of Rickie and Jose.. Claude, who in virtually any other time in our history would have been more appreciated I think. He had a very similar record to WGS, but his quiet personality and misfortune to follow a 6th place finish went against him.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Saints Fan4Life and Libby like this.
  3. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Has to be Nigel. Great bloke, great humour, great manager, great achievements. With all the moaning gits in the world I love to see people that are positive and always have a smile on their face. Someone whose positivity and happiness was infectious and transmitted to anyone.

And he would have kept us up anyway.

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Very surprised the list doesn’t include Laurie Mac or Ted Bates........But I’m assuming you mean in the last couple of years. Which for me means none of them really although Adkins would be the nearest I suppose........

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

First three words Beddy <laugh>

6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I don’t recall Markus being around when Ted and Lawrie were in charge Beddy!

7. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

Went for Adkins but am I the only one that has fond memories of Pardew?!

8. Saints_Alive

No, not the only one...some of the football we played in the second half of his only full season with us was sublime and as entertaining as anything from the Lawrie Mac era and there was the JPT too of course, I don't get the irrational dislike of him tbh.

9. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Didn’t he also get sacked after we had battered Bristol Rovers away and only 3 games into the season?

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think people dislike him because he's a bit of a **** tbh so not totally irrational. He's not the most likeable character is he?

I'll always be grateful to him for steadyinh the ship, the jpt, and for bringing Rickie, Deano and Fonte to the club though.

Arguably did as much as anyone in contributing to our rise by putting foundations in place.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Anyway, final thread will be up at some point this evening <ok>

12. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As much as I like Poch and Ron (and I really do), I'm glad to see Nigel walk away with it.

No votes for Puel I see.

13. Saints_Alive

Poch and Ron are much bigger ****s to me...one is snidey and disloyal and the other is just plain greedy.

*I only really care about what happens in relation to Saints when it comes to footy...:)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  14. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

My bad.........half asleep when I posted........heavy night the night before........

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Came into this too late to vote, but not a bad bunch of managers there. Adkins would probably have got my vote because they were good years. :emoticon-0115-inlov Nothing against Pardew....we will always have Wembley:emoticon-0115-inlov Poch saw us play some of our best football...and we got David the interpreter:emoticon-0115-inlov Koeman gave us good times as well....who could forget his mad limp up the line when Mane scored the winner :emoticon-0115-inlov Puel was not exciting but he achieved more than he was given credit for...another trip to Wembley:emoticon-0115-inlov

Best that Pellegrino was left out (though 20% of him should have been considered :))... he was just out of his depth....and indirectly he gave us the Swansea match:emoticon-0115-inlov