1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Falklands War

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Draig, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

If this triggers any forces vets then please contact the mods, get this thread deleted. I will understand if the thread disappears so in that case please accept my heartfelt apologies.

At the time I was at high school, dreaming of joining the RAF and my mum was an avid news hound so I watched just about everything that was on TV.

One of my brothers worked for a company in Chester delivering newspapers to newsagents all over North Wales and every morning would drop off a copy of each newspaper and get a flask of coffee and some bait for his breaks.

At the time I was under the impression that the land campaign was being run by commanders in situ.

I've just come upon this video with Julian Thompson admitting his mistakes and showing how much 'Public Opinion' affected the thinking of UK Commanders, then how they were interfering with local Command of operations.

I post this in admiration and huge gratitude to those that served in this conflict (like Russia's 'Special Military Operation' in Ukraine our politicians of the time didn't call it a war) and I apologise to you is this is common knowledge amongst you ex-servicemen, but this is the first time I have ever seen this.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  2. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Tremendous that like, thanks for sharing. Very proud of our armed forces

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  3. joeisonfire

joeisonfire Well-Known Member

I am ex forces, soldiers of that era were hard as nails like. Great video.

Hudson92, Draig, Oldsandy and 3 others like this.
  4. Blond Bombshell

Top bloke. I salute you :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

My thoughts go out to the 18 lads from my lot who paid the ultimate price, may they rest in eternal peace knowing that when our country called they did their duty , and to the Guards RAF Sailors and Marines and all who fought , you will never be forgotten.

The Berk, Snaggey, Nig and 17 others like this.
  6. Blond Bombshell

Top bloke. Keep strong marra

7. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

One question I will pose in retrospect to all of you service vets, what should we have done differently and why?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. Makemstine Roger

BOMBED THERE AIRFIELDS AND WIPED OUT THEIR AIRFORCE, SUPPLIED THE TROOPS WITH MORTARS AND BACKED UP WITH AIRLIFTED ARTILLERY

Oldsandy, Nig, Draig and 2 others like this.
  9. BishopSAFC

BishopSAFC Active Member

We should of attacked mainland Argentina the Argies would of put the white flag up within days

10. Makemstine Roger

they air raided a British sovereign Country. which gave us carte blanche to bomb the **** out of their army airforce navy and troop bases,

Nig likes this.

11. Row 3

Row 3 Well-Known Member

The Rest Is History podcast did a brilliant series on the Falklands War to mark the 40th anniversary. Well worth a listen, I was amazed at how tenuous the Argies historical claim is.

Draig and Makemstine Roger like this.
  12. Hudson92

Hudson92 Well-Known Member

Just sent this to my dad he was on HMS Antrim during the falklands, really interesting watch that

13. Makemstine Roger

if we had not kept the bulk of the helicopters on one ship where they were destroyed we would have been able to capture Mt Longdon much quicker without Goose Green , if we had bombed their airfields as they were bombing us we would not have lost the Sir Galahad and all those Welsh Guards. We could have worked with one of Argentina's enemies using air bases to pomel them Peru Chile

Oldsandy, Nig and farnboromackem like this.
  14. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

We should never have left the islands unprotected, then the Argies would never have invaded.

Draig likes this.
  15. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Considering Atlantic Causeway sailed on 12th May direct to the Falklands, arriving only 2 days after Atlantic Conveyor was hit (she sailed on 25th April but went via Ascension to pick up the Harriers) I really have to wonder why all of the Chinooks were put on the one ship and why on God's earth was she in so close on Argentina's national day, when we were expecting the Argentinians to try and avenge Belgrano?

It wasn't just the helicopters that were lost, she had all the plating to make a forward operations airstrip and base for the Harriers.

There was no way that we would have persuaded Pinochet to accept our strike aircraft, he would have been too worried about Argentina declaring war against them.

I think we were doing as well as we could just getting to fly ELINT missions out of Chile and even then they made us fly from a Pacific island base and not over-fly the Chilean mainland.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  16. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Lost a cousin in the navy during the Falklands. Another cousin did full term in the navy, provost and intelligence towards the end. His dad was ex SBS.
    He showed me pictures and artifacts from the Falklands that I felt privileged to see.
    One picture that stuck in my mind was of him and a bunch of marines sat on rocks, heavy machine guns etc in hand chilling out.
    What a bunch of scruffy long haired kids they looked. But I could see the comaradarie between them and the fact they'd earned the right to be Scruffy long haired fookers ;)
    The sort of lads you want on your side.

17. Makemstine Roger

thanks for those words Nig for me the war is best remembered for fallen maimed and burnt comrades, who gave the ultimate sacrifice. and may they never be forgotten for the sacrifices made.Now its about time the government stepped up to the plate and did more to help the survivors who need it as well as Iraq Afghanistan and Syria . If we can put economic migrants into 4 star hotels surely we can help our forces more.

18. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Government don't give a shìt mate, we're all just pawns.
    But yes, remember those fallen :emoticon-0148-yes:

I worked with an ex Welsh guard who was on the sir Galahad.
    Mad as fook but a nice bloke .
    You just have to understand what people have been through and dig a little.

19. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

You’re right mate. It was a right cock-up as usual and as always it was left to the footsloggers to put things right. All our choppers put on one ship, the Welsh guards kept on board their transport ship, lack of proper artillery support both light and heavy… errors that any squaddie would not have made. Under the circumstances I think the lads who were there worked bloody miracles and showed exemplary courage.

Blond Bombshell and Draig like this.
  20. Makemstine Roger

i hope the lad wasn't one of the burnt ones, horrible injury to sustain, my heart goes out to those lads

Blond Bombshell, Oldsandy and Nig like this.