1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread FA Cup Special - Chelsea v Norwich City 3RD ROUND REPLAY

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Jan 5, 2018.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Jan 6, 2018.
  1. Canaries Win

23.1%
  2. Blues Win

53.8%
  3. Draw

23.1%
  1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I thought he looked lazy a couple of times, just because of his failure to get back in position. I noticed it in the earlier exchanges, maybe it was Chelsea's flying start that made him look bad, Reed also looked pretty out of his depth for that period too. Overall Vrancic worked hard and he certainly looks improved on his early season form, where he hadn't adjusted and really did look fully lazy. I did say he was good inspite of a couple of lazy moments!

Bah!

RiverEndRick likes this.
  3. General Melchett

4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Hopefully we'll be able to have Gunn on loan again next season but there will be a lot of competition for him. Surely it's better for his development to play every week in the Championship.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

So you gave up on promotion already ?

6. General Melchett

Its not impossible, just improbable. I don't think we have enough goals in us to make the playoffs let alone win them.

Bah!

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

So you gave up on us signing that elusive goal scoring centre forward too ?
    Ironically if we had the same scoring rate as last season and the defence from this season we would be up there .

Not too long ago we had Hooper RVW Grabban Vaughan Lafferty all in the same squad.

I would argue that all of the above would be out of our price range if we tried to sign any of them this window.
    I am yet to hear of any credible links other than the Boro striker that's managed 1 goal.

8. RiverEndRick

I haven't given up on it, but like GM I think it's a very long shot. If we can keep up our unbeaten run and get back into the play-offs places I'd be more confident.

On the striker front, I feel our best chance is finding a hidden gem like Michu a few years back. Boro's Fletcher on loan could be a possible, given that most of his 16 appearances have been as sub, given the 3 strikers ahead of him.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  9. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. General Melchett

Unfortunately I just don't see us paying enough to get a striker who will hit the ground running. I have no doubt, webber will have some gem from the DBII who after 3-4 months might start scoring a few but I think we won't see them til the summer. I still habour hopes that Nelson will find his shooting boots and provide the goals we are currently lacking.

Ironically if we had this seasons scoring rate with last seasons defence we would be right down there in the brown stuff. The balance hasn't quite been right so far and I still doubt we will ever be any sort of free scoring outfit under Farke, but if we can be this solid the remainder of this season and next we have every chance to build from that platform.

I'm not sure why you would mention that we had 5 strikers formerly in our squad, all doubtless on now unaffordable wages, none of whom are any better than Nelson. yes we all know we are short handed at the moment, but of those you mention only Grabben did moderately well for us, would you want any of them back? ironically RvW might just fit our new gaffers footballing philosophy, but would you want him?

I also don't agree about whether we could afford them, some no but the majority;
    Lafferty is playing for Hearts, I think we could afford him comfortably
    Hooper is finally having a half decent season but at near 30 with 1.5yrs on his contract only wages might get in the way (That and scars from his previous experience of not playing)
    Vaughan has never pulled up trees anywhere and with his injury record I think would be within our reach
    Grabban is out of our reach, but would you want him?
    Ditto RvW, he has found goals again since leaving, but no way would he come back to the UK.

Nelson is for me better than the lot, we just need backup and as you say, not the goal shy lad from Middlesborough, but then what do we know, he might be the missing link in Farkeball?

bah!

canary-dave likes this.

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

Just read we are linked with a loan move for Grujic from Liverpool on loan , a tall 21 year old box to box Serbian midfielder .
    No mention of a striker yet ?

12. General Melchett

Hopefully Webber is keeping our impending star strikers arrival under the radar.

Bah!

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  13. DUNCAN DONUTS

Andreas Inklemann?

14. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Yes and they were all sh1t and none of them, except possibly Vaughan, would fit into the way DF wants to play.

Jerome is a better fit to the way DF wants to play and we just sold him for an amount of money we won't be able to buy a player of similar quality with.

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

I think they are all on double figures for goals apart from Vaughan ,and in my opinion all are better than Marley Watkins.

16. carrowcanario

Jerome was on double figures last season, and your point is ?

17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

Jerome has 2 goals and is passed it now we were lucky to receive any fee for him.

19. carrowcanario

We'll see. hopefully if he's as bad as you say he'll play for Cardiff on the 14th of April when they come to Carrow road.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  20. RiverEndRick

The case for Klose as MotM last night:

https://www.footballfancast.com/cha...l-as-norwich-took-chelsea-to-penalty-shootout

Several others are good shouts as well. Having watched the recording of the match again, I was again impressed by Vrancic's play. When the ball is lost, he drops back alongside Reed, but when we have the ball he moves forward to make a link with the attacking players with good distribution. His tackling has improved greatly as well. I thought Maddison had an unusually quiet game, though he contributed his share and I was pleased to see the 100% effort Oliveira put in, including his shot which hit the crossbar and others which came close. He must be knackered today though and I hope we have Abrahams on the bench as an impact sub on Saturday.

: CanaryCall