1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 pre-season testing

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Forza Bianchi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why the final pre season test will be held at Bahrain. The final test is where the cars will have their major innovations and the teams will have nothing to hide. We will see the true pace of the cars, and the Bahrain GP (qualifying anyway) will not be as interesting.

I could understand if they were testing at a track which would be raced on at a much later point in the season, but why test at Bahrain?

Also, why do Spain get most of the pre-season testing, and 2 GP's? Isn't this a bit unfair?

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know the Catalunya circuit is seen as being a very balanced circuit, so its a good place to develop a car as you can test it in conditions most likely to be found. On top of that, most (all?) the teams are Europe based, so its not too far. I imagine its quite dry as well, which helps with development too.

3. nh-f1

nh-f1 Member

I remember that testing used to be about the tracks. Catalunya was a favourite amongst the teams, and so were similar tracks; those with long straights, hairpins chicanes and high speed corners

EDIT: whoops! I didn't read Canary's post fully, so pretty much what he said!