1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2021 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Agreed .

2. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I think owning the IP to the Honda engine is an obvious choice for RB. The engine can't just stay as is and if they enhance it they want certainty in the ownsership.
    I also see a problem, parts of the engineering are probably used elsewhere by Honda so ownership of all the IP is probably not possible. A license should, if properly structured, suffice, I don't see RB getting their way but like all negotiations there can be a compromise, if somewhat complex in component and design definition.

ched999uk likes this.
  3. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

A bit of festive fun:

Justjazz likes this.
  4. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Great news for Perez at Red Bull- what a very interesting option in races now for him to run alternate strategies and hopefully give Merc more to think about.

Was the only logical option and the right thing for all concerned. I just feel for Albon who deserved a drive at Alpha Tauri instead of the new kid.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  5. ched999uk

Been having a think about Checo driving the Red Bull. While I do think he is a good driver it will be interesting to see how he actually gets on driving the Red Bull. It's all been developed round Max and his style of driving, virtually no one has had any input to designing it other than him!!!

I really hope Checo gives Max a hard time.
    I do feel sorry for Albon though, maybe he is just too nice for F1 but a lot of the new drivers seem to be quite nice people.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    TopClass likes this.
  6. TopClass

Sergio will need to adjust for sure but Red Bull have been crying out for an experienced driver who is good in this hybrid era, gets the tyres, but won’t necessarily upset Max on raw speed. Checo is ideal.

ched999uk likes this.
  7. TopClass

Such a shame that the FIA are hindering McLaren next year by strictly policing their Mercedes engine integration. They have essentially forced McLaren to spend the development tokens on the engine and they can only make changes to their rear of the car where it is necessary to accommodate the engine and not simply to gain performance.

It’s not their fault the FIA changed the rules after they’d already signed their Mercedes agreement.

Be interesting to see what they come up with when we launch next year. Hoping to see them close the gap a little more next season, along with Renault and possibly Aston Martin.

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  8. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I think we are going to find out if Redbull can support 2 drivers. However a one year contract will see no long term committment. Any tokens will be spent in Max's favour. However, On the one hand I want Perez to genuinely challenge Max. On the other if he can't Redbull will probably never win a constructures championship unless they change their ways. I also want the fight for the constructors championship to be really tight make George a must for promotion to Merc.

ched999uk likes this.
  9. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Red Bull have changed their habit by recruiting outside their young driver programme. You can only hope it’s part of a realisation that to win the championship they need to change the role and importance of their second driver.

ched999uk likes this.
  10. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Well, Lewis now has the Spoty, so just the knighthood to go next week.

11. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Rumours going about that Mazepin will lose his seat. Haas can't deal with the negative publicity right now.

12. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think this is mainly based on social media content. Haas might not want the negative publicity, but can they afford not to have Mazepin's money?

ched999uk likes this.
  13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I don't think Albon's out forever, Kvyat got a second chance, Dieter likes him, and if RBR can't deliver a title winning car in the next season or 2, how long is Max going to hang around there? I also suspect Perez got the seat partly due to the great PR giving it to him offered. Pretty much every fan wanted Perez to stay in F1, especially after his win, so RBR coming to the rescue looks good.
    And most F1 drivers come across as nice, until they're battling for the title.

ched999uk likes this.
  14. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Yup!

ched999uk likes this.
  15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Trouble is, who leaves to free a seat up? If Perez or Verstappen leave Red Bull, you'd think Gasly and Tsunoda will end up above Albon/Kvyat in the pecking order. Mclaren, Alpine, Aston Martin, Ferrari probably all have a settled line up for the next two seasons, leaving Haas, Alfa, Williams and Mercedes. A free Mercedes seat goes to Russell/Verstappen, otherwise both Williams and Mercedes probably stay as they are. Kimi could still do another two seasons, Giovinazzi is improving, Haas are a wildcard. I wouldn't be surprised if the only seat which changes between now and the 2022 season is Mazepin's.

16. Number 1 Jasper

Much as I like him , I honestly think next year will be Valtteri's last in F1 .

ched999uk likes this.
  17. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

That and potential sponsors probably getting cold feet. Wise move by Haas if they've done it.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  18. Number 1 Jasper

Good point . HAAS may need the money , but HAAS is an AMERICAN brand , so can they deal with the possible fall out ?

They are American , he is Russian ......

ched999uk likes this.
  19. ched999uk

It's beginning to look a lot like Renault are pulling out of F1. First they change name to Alpine. Now Infinity are ending sponsorship. Then again Alonso is joining!!!

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  20. Number 1 Jasper

Infinity are the luxury brand of Nissan ( Like Lexus is to Toyota )

* Edit .

And far as I am aware , Renault and Nissan have a collaberation .

And the main man is stepping down -

Someone else coming in ?

Jerome Stoll: President of Renault Sport Racing to step down on December 31 | F1 News (skysports.com)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    ched999uk likes this.