1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2020 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Oct 25, 2019.

1. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's sort of why it's 5 years? i.e. Ferrari might be thinking that if they get Lewis then he will want to be no1 so maybe by giving clc a 5 year deal it's on the condition he may not be no1 or even equal no1 in future?
    I would guess Ferrari would be hedging their bets and keeping their options as open as possible. They also might be thinking that Merc may not continue in 2021. All very interesting.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  2. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I just think that they’ve put their faith in Le Clerc after seeing he’s every inch a future potential WDC. Lock him down and mitigate any risk of him moving on.

Looks like Seb is likely to move on at the end of the season. Ricciardo is up for grabs too at the end of this season and barring a serious step forward from Renault you would think he’d jump at the chance to join Merc or Ferrari?

Hamilton wont leave the Mercedes brand now despite the paddock silly season chat and I can only see him winding up at McLaren to come full circle at the end of his career (if any) but think more likely is he finishes up at Merc.

I think given Honda are now pretty much there with the engine, Max would be foolish to leave a works exclusive and Adrian Newey- RBR will get it right sooner rather than later. You’d suspect Merc would be the likeliest destination to be the Hamilton successor if Max did look at elsewhere?

Much depends on Mercedes plans for the next 5-10 years in F1.

Big Ern and ched999uk like this.
  3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I don't think he has one, I think Ferrari may have learned their lesson last year about eggs in baskets and will become an 'equal opportunities' employer. That was a hold over from the Prost & Schumacher days, they should go back to Enzo's philosophy and make them enemies, it won't help them win but it'll be a bit more spicey.

4. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Hope so . I said a " Traditional " one as I had in mind exactly the scenario's you mentioned . Different matter if , as a season unfolds one is much more likely to be WDC , but totally agree there should be no " I want that bloke coz he's crap " .

Big Ern likes this.
  5. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I read in the Times CLC deal is worth an estimated 10m Euros a year, that could be quite modest in 5 years time but perhaps there are performance upgrades to his salary. Lewis is tempted by Ferrari, he must be, but much will hinge on the performance in the first half of next season. Lewis has set his sights on a 7th WDC, if not 8th. He says he is not interested in records but he is bound to say that is case he doesn't break them, his dad is keen for him though.
    There is a point when Mercedes are not the best team, it happens. If Toto and Lewis both left and having lost Nikki this year, coupled with a refocus of the Merc brand objectives then Ferrari or Red Bull would likely become the team to beat. There is always a changing of the guard. Not everyone was convinced Lewis had done the right thing going to Merc...history speaks for itself.
    I predict next year will be close at the top, Williams will beat Haas and maybe even Racing Point, maybe even Renault if they fail to get their s*** together. Then mid season we will have lots of interesting debate about who goes where. Fingers crossed it will be a good one, just hope I have the time to follow it all, got a busy schedule next year.

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I think the championship will be closer, between Lewis, Max and Charles, but I have a feeling it will be a case of each car suiting a different circuit

eddie_squidd and Justjazz like this.
  7. Justjazz

Mercedes may have to use the tactical button to have a decent shot at the WDC. With Bottas single now I think we may well see a new Bottas, focused and hungry.

8. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

We thought that last year. He can't sustain it over a season.

9. Justjazz

He split from his wife towards the end of the season. You can imagine the relationship conversations he must have had during the year, and perhaps the heartache. I am going to give him one more chance to shake it up.

10. ched999uk

Although it was announced towards the end of the season I would guess the heartache would have been going on a fair bit longer, maybe during the summer break or before?
    Hopefully he will get his head together and be great in 2020.

Justjazz likes this.

11. eddie_squidd

Max has a new contract and will stay at RB until 2023. Can’t post a link from where I am but it’s all over the press.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  12. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Same here . Its confirmed in the BBC.

13. ched999uk

I wonder if that suggests Honda are staying?

14. eddie_squidd

That’s dampened down the silly season theories. Merc had better hope Hammy signs up for 2021 as the best drivers are all committed.

ched999uk likes this.
  15. ched999uk

It gives Lewis more bargaining power.

16. Justjazz

Is Daniel Ricciardo committed for 2021 or do you not put him up there as one of the 'potential' best?

17. eddie_squidd

I’d love to see Danny in a top team. If he was at Merc I’d rather see him replace Bottas than Hamilton though.

I love him but is he the same level as the very top drivers? Max beat him at Red Bull so in theory not but it would be interesting to see.

ched999uk likes this.
  18. Justjazz

Max was driving dirty in that year. I think Danny is the equal of Max in driving skill.
    in 2018, Danny had 8 DNFs compared to 4 for Max. There was a 70 point gap between them. Max benefited from 105 pts when Danny had a DNF. Danny benefited from 22 points when Max had a DNF (2 races), there where 2 races when they both DNF'd.
    Take out the benefits each driver had when their team mate DNF'd and Danny wold have beaten Max. The point was Marco backed Max from the outset and Redbull do have form only focusing on one car, Vettel and Webber was an example.
    8 DNFs for one driver in one year is an abysmal result with an engine manufacturer that was established. Renault themselves had 9 across both drivers.

I think the case for Max being better than Danny is unproven. That pole that Danny took in Mexico in 2018, Max's reaction showed he knew he was Marko's man. Danny did the right thing to move on, it was not a fair fight. We all know the BS that emanates from Horner and Marko.
    This year at Renault, the team did not deliver. Danny deserves a better drive.

19. Justjazz

I have read a lot of negatives about Claire Williams leadership style in the last week, the team is not a team was the conclusion. The view was that Claire should not be running the team, too heavily influenced by her father, who was also criticised for his style, in fact I think the criticism was mostly levied at him. I was looking up Paddy Lowe on the internet at the time. Be interesting to see if Williams make progress this season, testing in 6 weeks will give a clue...perhaps.

ched999uk likes this.
  20. eddie_squidd

As I say, it would be good to see him in a top team where we can see his full potential. He’s certainly one of the most exciting drivers to watch and his overtakes are stupendous. It’s a tragedy to see him stuck at Renault but something tells me he won’t be there come 2021 if they don’t perform next year. Ferrari would be a good fit for his style, although with Leclerc being the team’s long term man maybe that’s another situation to avoid.

ched999uk likes this.