1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2020 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Oct 25, 2019.

1. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I think Liberty will be worried by Honda pulling out. They need to go more electric but formulaE have a bit of a monopoly on that.
    Reading Honda's statements it does seem that they want to get away from petrol engines.
    I wonder how Liberty and FIA are getting on deciding what the new engines will be?
    I would like it to be hydrogen as I feel that is better long term than batteries. Not sure that European manufacturers will want to go that way though.
    Seems like far east are working on hydrogen systems much more than europe.

Big Ern likes this.
  2. ched999uk

More rumors of Mazepin looking to buy Haas to put his son in. He has been linked to a few F1 buyouts over the years but it appears his son Nikita might have enough points to get a Super licence for next year if he maintains his position in F2!!

There does seem a lot of F1 turmoil at the moment, Honda pulling out, Williams new owners, Ferrari - terrible performance, Merc - Toto + Lewis + Ineos, Haas - zero development this year to name but a few.....

Maybe we need a 2021 rumor thread?

3. happyal

happyal Active Member

Don't forget the rumours that Mercedes is about to sell up. They've got as much out of F1 as possible, so there is nothing left for them, according to the articles.

And I can't believe the falling TV figures have helped them either, spending all that money in F1, when Formula E is on the up and so much cheaper.

ched999uk likes this.
  4. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Saw an interview with Toto where he said the roumors of innios buying merc were without foundation . I’m not saying merc arent looking to sell , but not to listen to Jordan .

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  5. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd be suprised if Honda didn't sell their PU technology, then it really would be total waste of money.

Andy Cowell hasn't been snapped up yet thinking about it, could it be?

6. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I did have a thought. If Mercedes pull out as a works team, does that then open the door for Red Bull Mercedes?

Although the news of Honda pulling out to go green has surely got to be a big warning sign for F1. It needs to change and change fast before there are no engine manufacturers left. Or Formula E take over as the pinnacle open wheel racing series (Which I wouldn't mind)

7. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Also is verstappen on the phone to toto right now?

Justjazz likes this.
  8. happyal

happyal Active Member

The romour was that Mercedes might stay involved as the engine manufacturer only, I can't see them wanting to suppiler Red Bull at all.

I completely aggree that it's a huge warning sign, I hope the FIA take it seriously and do something to close up the field. Years and years of Lewis and Mercedes running away with it has harmed the sport, viewing figures are down and the world is changing. I love F1 but something needs to change, what I'd like is a return to free to air TV.

As for Max join Mercedes, I'd laught my arse off if he got Lewis's seat for next year. I know it's very unlikely, but it would be so funny.

El_Bando likes this.
  9. ched999uk

Isn't that why the TV numbers have fallen?
    I think Liberty have also changed the criteria for viewing figures in their favor last year. So the drop is so much worse than they publicise!

10. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Honda have basically told us all that electric/fuel cell is where the future lies and that combustion engines are going to disappear.

Formula 1 will need to seriously think about where it’s headed.

Really sad not to see Honda complete the chapter with a championship challenge as their progress has been really good these past 3 years.

ched999uk likes this.

11. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

12. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Seriously though, I’m gutted. And worried about the future.

13. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Think the going green might just be an excuse given they're happily making combustion engines for other series still... Unless there is a mass pullout coming.

Justjazz, Number 1 Jasper and Big Ern like this.
  14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Aston Martin?

Justjazz and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Really surprised Honda are pulling out now, seems odd when their engine is just about competitive. I wonder if Tsunoda gets a seat at Alpha Tauri next year so they can say they got a Japanese driver back into F1.

I'd had similar thoughts about where the engine tech goes, but I don't think it's Aston Martin. I wonder if Red Bull might commission a deal to have Illmor-Cosworth engines? Depends if they have the production capabilities for F1.

If Merc pull out as a team, I don't think the Brackley-based team disappears - they're too successful. They'll probably have Mercedes engines for the rest of these engine regulations, and I can't see Mercedes screwing them over by signing a deal with Red Bull unless Liberty make it happen.

Longer term, I think these engine rules need changing, but it's a tricky line to walk between making engines interesting to big car companies (big on green R&D) and to smaller brands. F1 could bring back V8s and gain 4 manufacturers - but lose 2 and essentially have to admit that the sport is no longer the cutting edge.

Can't go electric, and hydrogen doesn't seem like the future to me any longer. Feels like most brands have moved on. Biofuel? Maybe, but again I'm not sure it's the future.

Maybe standardise the ICE component of the power train, and open up regenerative tech? Make that the battleground instead?

Justjazz likes this.
  16. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

We're still a while off electric motors being able to do 300km producing a reliable 800hp+ so hybrids are the answer for at least another 10 years.

They really should open up the battery side more though, maybe slowly edge the fuel maximum capacity down whilst edging the battery size and motor output up.

The only problem is that this sort of progress won't be cheap.

17. Number 1 Jasper

Peter Winsor says it's about the costs and they are still making Engines for the US with no plans to change ( he thinks ) .

18. Number 1 Jasper

The rules do state that if a team is left with no Engine supplier , an engine supplier will be told they MUST supply that team . In this case Renault . Unless of course RBR have another alternative .

19. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

The only engine they definitely wont be getting Mercedes. They're at 4 teams from next year so are "full"

Unless of course they bail in 2022 and Red Bull becomes the works team for their engine? Stranger things have happened

20. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

RBR should be given this years Ferrari PU.

SgtBhaji and ched999uk like this.