1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2020 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Oct 25, 2019.

1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

My first thought was Toto Wolff but I'm not sure now

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  2. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

The BCE Ltd has to be a good joke to anyone in F1. I think it has to be someone connected to F1. I can't imagine it's Bernie, he has run teams before and realised where the money was!
    Maybe it's Flavio Briatore? Hopefully this weekend we might see. Good fun speculating though.

Justjazz likes this.
  3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I can’t see it being Bernie .I agree though , fun speculating !

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  4. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

SgtBhaji and Justjazz like this.
  6. Justjazz

Yep, get rid of one bad driver, bring in one good driver. The article does say some other teams are interested in Hulk so lets see what plays out.

7. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Swapping out Mag and Grosjean for Perez and Hulk would be one of the greatest driver swaps of recent times.

Justjazz, Big Ern and ched999uk like this.
  8. Justjazz

But one HAAS don't deserve.

ched999uk likes this.
  9. ched999uk

Not sure the drivers do either :)
    While it would be good to see Hulk driving again not sure I want to see him at the back. As for Perez he has turned into quite a good driver but has had quite a lot to get through.
    IF Williams new owners actually improve things, not sure they can for 2021 with restrictions, then Haas will be in big trouble. Perez might bring money but I'm not sure it would help Haas.
    Then we have the budget caps coming in which might take 2 - 3 years to make any difference.
    Plus it sounds like the new concorde agreement has an opt out clause that the teams can invoke to give 12 months notice to quit!!!! I think that is how they managed to get Merc and Haas to sign to the new concorde!!

10. Justjazz

Interesting. I really don't believe this budget cap will be auditable. There so many ways to develop away from the sport and buy in the technology at a low cost. If you think of the cleverness of tax avoidance and all the opportunities that exist there, e.g offshore company charges onshore company reducing onshore tax bill. The reverse is true too (under charge), amortising R and D is perfectly reasonable in accounting terms, enabling teams to develop elsewhere (other companies) and charge R and D over the lifespan of the technology. Liberty will need a team of accountants to follow the audit trail...not easy, even assumes they have unlimited access which I doubt. We will see. I am very sceptical of the budget caps, for a team determined to win, it won't stop them.

ched999uk likes this.

11. happyal

happyal Active Member

Vettel is waiting for Hamilton's future to be sorted out before he decides what to do for next season.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebastian-vettel-waiting-lewis-hamilton/

I think it's quite clever from him, he's letting Mercedes know that he wants the drive, and I bet he's alot cheaper than Lewis will be. If I were Mercedes I'd seriously consider it, save alot of money, you'd be getting a German in, you know you will win the championship and you prove the car is the difference. The only issue would be is the bad PR from dropping your current WDC.

I don't expect it will happen, almost no chance but it did make me think what I would do if I were in charge.

12. ched999uk

I thought Rating Point / Aston had to wait for the contract recognition board to determine IF Sergio was contracted for next year or not before they would sign Vettel.
    I seem to remember there is history of signing 3 drivers for 2 seats in the past and it not ending well. I think it was Sauber and Monisha Kaltenborn with Giedo van der Garde, Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson all signed for 2015. I think Giedo van der Garde received a payout of about $16million which I would guess was way more than his salary.
    So IF Sergio has a contract it's going to cost Racing Point a huge amount plus Vettels big salary! Not sure they want to risk that yet.

I can't see Vettel at Merc, he seems to be making too many mistakes. OK so the Ferrari might not be a great stable car but his team mate doesn't have the same handling issues as Vettel does well not as many anyway :)

It would be good to see the Vettel of old against Lewis in the same car but only in the second year as first year car would have been designed round Lewis.

13. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Dear Ferrari,

Please keep that livery

14. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

They should be made to race in silver until they win again

ched999uk likes this.
  15. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Perez has officially announced he is leaving Racing Point at the end of the season.

Vettel expected to sign a deal with RP

Here’s my left field Perez thoughts:

a) He’s the best option available for Red Bull racing - almost the ideal racer to bring home points behind Max and hold up rivals.

b) WILLIAMS- some welcome money and a chance to lead a new adventure for the legendary outfit?

I wouldn’t go near Haas or Alfa, just a pair of B and C teams with a useless power unit.

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  16. ched999uk

Interesting. I hope he gets a drive. As you say Haas and Alfa don't really have the money or maybe motivation to win.
    Williams might be good, Red Bull isn't a very secure drive to me.

Justjazz likes this.
  17. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I also feel Ocon isn't overly secure at Renaultpine. So that may be a surprise seat opening.
    Perez must be able to get a seat, his not world beating but he's everything you'd need in a 2nd driver. Or a F1.5 top driver

18. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

After half a season, Stroll in the RP is 4th in the WDC table.
    Let that sink in.

19. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wonder about Gasly to Renault. French driver, who actually gets on with people. Ocon was told off on the radio after the race for moaning in public.

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  20. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Is Perez really worth the seat? He has been out performed by Stroll this season. Even before his 2 races off. He only has one trick in his history of looking after tyres and going long on them.

Stroll on the hand... well he is very very poor at qualifying but when it comes to the race he is not too bad. Can even overtake.

I think RP/AM have made the right choice.