1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2019 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by DHCanary, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I dont think the problem is the radio winging or being a character. He reacts to adversity by getting heavily getting heavily involved in the politics and trying to control the team he's in.

Red Bull have just looked at his political history. The 2007 season with his involvement in Spygate and the rivalry with Hamilton that cost both titles (Which Mercedes still hold a grudge over). At Renault, does anyone really believe he knew nothing about crashgate?, breakdown of relations at Ferrari and then finally the return to McLaren where he went to great lengths to force out Red Bulls future engine supplier.

He will always get the maximum on track. But unless he's got the quickest car and undisputed no1 status, you probably don't want him around behind the scenes.

allsaintchris. and easynic150 like this.
  2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Not at the moment no . Just wait and see what happens IF things go the shape of the pear

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Can't speak for anyone else , But surely his getting involved with the Politics IS part of his character ?

4. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Yeah Bhaji. Tell us...why did Trump really get elected?

5. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Kimi has signed a new 2 year deal with Ferrari. Second year an option for the team.

6. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Ferrari clearly still looking for solid points rather than a threat to Vettel which Leclerc could do.

Shame Kimi's career is ending as him being a lacky to Vettel. I don't think he particularly cares, his bank manager certainly doesn't.

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  7. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Really disappointing from Ferrari. I hope some of the current midfield develop at rapid pace now and snap up the promising drivers that Ferrari are protecting Vettel from (Ricciardo, Leclerc etc).

I get the impression Kimi plays a key role in setting up that car at Ferrari.

8. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Ferrari are so bloody tedious when it comes to this kind of thing. I don't think he will, but hopefully Leclerc won't go stale. It's an idiotic decision.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  9. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

Its an interesting decision. I suppose they've had upward momentum and don't want to rock the boat.

I'd say though that this is shaping up to be the second year in row that having inferior drivers to Mercedes has cost them both championships.

Vettel could cut out the mistakes, but hiring kimi is certainly yielding the wcc.

easynic150 likes this.
  10. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At the moment Kimi has scored 43.5% of Ferraris points. Now whether that's more against Vettel or good for Kimi who knows, but it's a lot of points for a supposed number 2.

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

If you want 3rd or 4th place on a consistent basis, he is definitely your man.

Shame the fire has gone out in this belly though.

12. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

The real problem with Kimi is that it's always 3rd or 4th. Regardless of the opportunity. When calamity strikes Vettel, Kimi doesn't pick up the pieces. In fact, he's only finished in front of Hamilton twice all season. The Austrian race was the most stark example. Both Mercs out, Vettel with a penalty and Kimi gets beaten by a bloody Red Bull!

Besides the points gap to Vettel is definitely flattering. More an indication of how the lead driver buggered it up in Baku, France, and Germany. In a fair world, Bottas would be miles ahead of him in the championship as well.

13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

he's had a bit of luck with safety car timing too, that said, I think he's been better this season than in any season since returning to Ferrari. I don't think Vettel gets enough credit due to his one season with DR, the three races Danny won while his team-mate he had qualified much further up the grid than Danny who got a bit lucky with the split strategy calls going his way.

14. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

SgtBhaji likes this.
  15. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think Kimi has had the speed this year, however he's often been on the less efficient strategy, trying to menace Mercedes more than get his own result.

Big Ern likes this.
  16. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Kimi has often been starting weekends well and actually has been close pace wise.

However, there is absolutely no sympathy from me for his consistenty poor starts, thus putting himself on the back foot. How many races is it now since he gained a position on first lap?

17. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

He was pretty conclusively dominated in 2014. What was it in two car finishes? 11-3 or something like that? Whether it was a blip or not we'll probably never find out, since it doesn't seem likely he'll ever pair with another top driver again.

Still, I'm not slating his speed in the last two seasons. It's the consistency. You can't leave 40-50 points on the table in silly mistakes and beat Hamiltons Mercedes.

I would agree that Kimi has been better. The actual performance gap ignoring luck and Seb's mistakes would put him about 60 points behind (down from i think 80 or so last year). However, i don't think it's enough. A no2 driver has two purposes, get enough points for the constructors and help your teammate win the WDC. Kimi doesn't do the former because he's slower than Bottas, in the latter he doesn't take points from Vettel, but nor does he take points from Hamilton. He's a bit of a non-event in general these days.

18. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We are making a hell of an assumption that Leclerc would challenge a lead driver, but I do share the disappointment of most here. Vettel is dammed either way, Kimi stays and it is placating Vettel. They sign Leclerc and Vettel trounces him, Ferrari strengthened the No1 status to protect him.

In regards to Danny, I’m disappointed that neither Merc or Ferrari signed him. I’m also disappointed that neither Merc or RB have given their “2nd” seat to Alonso, but then again both of those teams want the “strongest” pairing not a No1 & No2 driver.

19. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

They are looking for a wingman not a challenger

Big Ern likes this.
  20. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Well Alonso is off. To Indy I assume.

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/fernando-alonso/mclaren-confirms-fernando-alonso-decision/

McLAREN CONFIRMS FERNANDO ALONSO DECISION
    Fernando will not race in Formula 1 in 2019

McLaren Racing today confirms that double F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso will not race in Formula 1 in 2019.

Fernando, who turned 37 in July, is competing in his 17th F1 season, his fifth with McLaren, and has amassed 32 wins, 22 pole positions and 97 podiums to date. Beyond his two titles – in 2005 he became the then-youngest world champion in F1 history – Fernando has been championship runner-up three times.