1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2019 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by DHCanary, Jun 19, 2018.

1. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've heard the slightly odd rumour that Mercedes want Norris short term, and Russel to join him once Hamilton goes.

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

El abandoned :emoticon-0106-cryin

3. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I don't see that happening. I don't believe Merc want two british drivers. I come back to merc are in this financially because of the marketing returns. There is a interesting side story to the two they have, although Bottas was unintended but has his following. Lewis is loved by the Chinese and bet that helps generate revenues in Asia. Merc will hang onto Lewis for as long as they can. When he goes it will be a combination of talent and marketing they will consider in choosing his replacement.
    Russell will suffer till he has a relevant team mate to be compared too. Norris has shown his worth. If I was Renault, I would want Norris. Honda too.

Big Ern and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  4. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Odd rumour about Vettel going back to Red Bull. He won’t be beating Verstappen there any time soon. Only way I see that happening is if Max replaces Bottas at Merc.

5. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Hamilton > Ferrari
    Vettel > Red Bull
    Verstappen > Mercedes

Could be spicy

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  6. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

It should be spicy if they all stay where they are if Ferrari can manage not to keep cocking up every 5 minutes. Silverstone showed that.

Why anyone would imagine Hamilton would want to go to Ferrari right now is beyond me.

Number 1 Jasper and Justjazz like this.
  7. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

8. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

;)

Big Ern likes this.
  9. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

The challenge ?

When he went from McLaren to MERC , I laughed and thought he was only going for the money …

If and I agree it's a BIG if , Ferrari have someone* who can show him future plans , I can see him going .

Who wouldn't want to be WDC for THAT team ?

* Ross Brawn ?

10. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The difference with Merc was that you knew they were taking things seriously, recruiting well, and they showed Hamilton some insanely convincing engine data. That + Lauda are what swayed him. Ferrari are still a mess. Their structure doesn't make a lot of sense, and operationally they're terrible. Right now I don't think you'd back them to make the most of the 2021 rule changes either.

Hamilton knows that if he stays at Mercedes until the end of 2020, he's got a chance to be the best driver in history. He'll equal Schumacher for titles and beat every other significant record Schumacher holds. I don't think he's going to give up the easiest route to that record.

I think Hamilton is attracted by the history and prestige of being a Ferrari driver, but not ahead of being the best driver in history. So perhaps they can sway him for 2021, depending on what they have to convince him. Right now I think Red Bull win a WDC before Ferrari though, and I expect RB to do better out of the 2021 rules than Ferrari.

Don't understand why Merc would drop Bottas, he's the perfect #2. Causes minimal fuss, but picks up good points. I can't think of another driver on the grid who would be as quick yet compliant. Realistically, keeping Hamilton happy is more important than having equal drivers. That said, there do seem to be rumours. If I were Merc, I'd keep Bottas through 2020 and offer Ocon and Russell to Haas for 2020. Straight shoot-out for the second Merc seat in 2021, or promote both if Hamilton leaves. The only exception to that is: Land Verstappen ASAP!

Big Ern likes this.

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Ferrari - signing multiple world champions once they are past their prime since 2010 ;)

Big Ern and DHCanary like this.
  12. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

If Ferrari manage Le Clerc well they will have their future champion. They have changed that driver model. Now they have to address the team process. Binotto is half a season in. Can he break the model that is in part driven by Italian culture? I lived and worked in Milan for 4 years (albeit a good while ago) and the culture most likely has a part to play in the performance, even to the point that they would deny that it does. I am sure the whole team want to win. I truly believe Vettel fails to comprehend his mistakes have an effect on the team, more so an Italian team. A Lewis and Charles driver line up would likely give a massive boost to the team. That line up with no Number 1 status, the team could fly. Assumes Lewis still has it by 2021, he may not. Life can turn on a sixpence, Lewis will one day wake up and not have the same motivation he has today. It may take a year or slightly longer for it to dawn on him. If he does go to Ferrari I hope it will be with the right motivation. Motivation is driven by many factors needing all to be in tune at the same time. He lost his mojo at McLaren.

13. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Hamilton is definitely motivated by winning, no matter what he says about enjoying a struggle. I think he demands perfection from the team as well, which goes hand in hand with him delivering the results for them, I just wonder if at Ferrari he would get hacked off with the silly mistakes that seem to ruin season after season for them.

14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Everyone likes to win, but people prefer different ways of getting it. Some prefer a drive into the distance win, but others (I'd say the majority) like a battle to win because over-taking is where the real fun is in racing.

15. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I think if you have to battle to win then it's more pleasing as you made the difference. If you cruise into the distance then it's more the car that is superior, so as a driver you aren't really making that much of a difference.

Big Ern, El_Bando and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  16. Big Ern

I don't think there's a better feeling in racing than planning a move for a lap or 2 and successfully executing it, they're the ones I liked the most in the dry.

Maybe dominating a wet race is more fun, because that's nearly all down to the driver.

Justjazz, El_Bando and ched999uk like this.
  17. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

It's happened.

Red Bull has announced Pierre Gasly will be replaced by Alexander Albon for the next round of the championship in Belgium.

18. Big Ern

Should've been Kvyat imo, as much as I rate Albon I don't think he's ready to go up against Max.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  19. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I think that makes both Red Bull senior drivers younger than the STR junior drivers. It's a strange old world.

After F2 I never gave Albon much hope in F1. Proves me wrong!

20. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Wow. Good for Albon.

Not sure he is ready though. Or more ready than Gasly. Red bull my be killing their young driver program.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.