1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2019 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by DHCanary, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Seems to be an open secret now. Autosport says the contract is signed.

It's a great story, and even if he isn't the Kubica of old, it must be a morale boost at Williams to have an ambitious line-up for 2019.

2. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

What's ambitious about a man returning to F1 after 8 years who is physically inpaired?

easynic150 likes this.
  3. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I am going to reserve judgement till the first few races. In practice last year, in Abu Dhabli, he was faster than Stroll or Sirotkin at those sessions, he was about 1.5s slower than Lewis on his first free practice session last year, albeit Lewis got faster thereafter. I worry less about his 8 years away, he always had skill, more about his impairment and whether it will impact his reaction time on track, particularly in a scuffle. Only he, and presumably those around him, know if that might be an issue.

EternalMSC likes this.
  4. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I’d like to think Kubica is a realist- when he was interviewed about the effects of the accident some years ago, he seemed clear it would be highly unlikely he would race in F1.

For him to be coming back now, I would hope that he and all parties concerned think it’s the right call.

He’s done this the right way- he’s tested for the team, hasn’t rushed back, so i would like to think he knows in his heart of hearts that he is fit and able to do the job- first safely- and second competitively.

It’s a fab story for him. No one is saying he’s gonna be a world champ but he can’t be any worse than the pair of taxi drivers Williams have put up with this season.

Big Ern and ched999uk like this.
  5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

There used to be a one-armed driver in the production class where my dad used to race, won the championship 3 times, and he had a stick shift gear-box.
    He was a good tiler too, tiled our bathroom.

6. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

There's a motorcycle racer down here who only has use of his right arm. Races with his left arm strapped to his body. I've seen him a few times racing at Whanganui's Cemetery circuit - a short-course street circuit that makes Monaco look like Silverstone. Unbelievable speed - he races in the national series and he usually finished well up the top half of the field.

I'm not ashamed to say he can ride faster with one arm than I can with two.

Incredible to watch.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    dhel and Big Ern like this.
  7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I think it's just grip that he has a problem with, my only concern would be how he handles the buttons and dials on the right side of the steering wheel, just using one hand to steer isn't much of a problem, as Monaco used to prove. And that was without power steering. Still, the proof of the puddingis in the eating, we've just gotta hope Williams can remember how to build a decent F1 car

Justjazz likes this.
  8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I should imagine Williams can redesign the wheel if he needs it. Several unimpaired drivers have their own designs, I remember Hamilton spent a while when he first went to Mercedes stripping back the steering wheel, reducing the clutter and making it easier for him.

For his tests in 2017, Kubica already had a custom steering wheel with the shift paddles both on the left side of the wheel.

9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Jenson Button will be part of the SkyF1 team next year. Not sure if he's replacing someone or in addition?

10. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Some badly needed charisma for Sky!

I do wonder how many races Jenson will be at though. He's committed to another half a season of Wec, plus has talked about wanting to defend his Super Gt title.

Might be occasional appearances like Rosberg has done?

11. Justjazz

Sky coverage is dreadful. Not convinced Jenson can fix that, it is not just one individual. Having watched Channel 4 this year in the main, with the occasional viewing of Sky the difference is the former is professional and even informative the later is journalistic.

12. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I just don't understand who enjoys the sky coverage. You'd have to think someone does otherwise it means the management are utterly incompetent.

When I stream sky I switch on for the formation lap and off after the podium. I just can't find any enjoyment in anything else sky present. Even the race is a bit ruined because of croft and his mindless drivel.

13. Justjazz

Captive audience if you want to watch every race live. They need a complete revamp. Even Ted has become boring (although I sense some embarrassment about the coverage on his part). They need to get back to basics. Your strategy is a good one.

14. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Both Sky and C4 have their good bits and bad bits.

Unfortunately for both the bad bits are the before and after. Sky have already been dissected above, but C4 have the irritating welsh idiot who thinks he is funnier than he is and the Irish ego who's never wrong and can predict something but only after it has happened.

Whilst Chandock and Kravitz are not main presenter material, their insight is far more interesting that anything the others can put forward.

I'm also not been convinced on Ben Edwards this season. He makes some strange noises which I have locked on to and they're starting to grate. It's also clear he is as big a Hamilton fan as Crofty.

Justjazz likes this.
  15. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Hope it is Rosberg he is replacing, and doing a lot more commentary. Rosberg is hopeless behind the mic.

16. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

What do you think of the below article? I wonder if Mercedes had on any 2019 parts on the car for last Sunday's race too?

Tyre trick puts Mercedes ahead of other teams

26-11-2018 10:33
    by Louis Shaw
    GENERAL

Mercedes may have put themselves ahead of other teams at this weeks tyre testing due to their use of sensors.

This week at the Yas Marina Circuit, the location of yesterdays race, teams will be running tests on the Pirelli tyres ahead of the 2019 season. The teams are restricted to only be allowed to use the testing sessions to gather data on the tyres and not on other parts of their cars. This means that teams must run a standard car with parts that have not been raced.

The rule means that teams can not add sensors to their cars to monitor aerodynamics and therefore run other tests.

However, Mercedes have found a way around this as they raced Hamilton's car with extra sensors on it during yesterdays race. This means that Mercedes will be able to use these sensors during the testing session to log extra data.

Mercedes are already in full preparation for next season by targeting the rule changes and also getting the most out of the testing sessions.

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

9/1 for Leclerc to win the championship next year....

Worth a cheeky bet.

Or 3/1 for him to be in top three.

18. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Blimey... Cutting the buggers must have been a challenge.

19. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

20. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Mick Schumacher has signed with Prema for F2 next season. The make or break season for him.