1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2019 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by DHCanary, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Sainz will be an in for the RBR seat when Verstappen inevitabley replaces Vettel at Ferrari in a couple of seasons.

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I thought if red bull don't take up the option of Sainz in 2018 he is then no longer a red bull driver.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  3. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

That’s my understanding too. And quite rightly too, they’ve ****ed him about enough. He doesn’t want to become the next Jean Eric Vergne!

4. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

5. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Have Red Bull bought themselves a problem, who will be willing to team with Verstappen? He is fast, it is now his team, any driver will be second in the pecking order to Verstappen, who seems to be changing his performance for the better too. Ultimately, a team mate for Verstappen will be a Kimi type person. For all RB's team spirit and fun they have traditionally had a favoured driver. Daniel knew that and left. Expect a driver who doesn't mind accepting a support role. it will be a young guy, Le Clerc (on loan) would be interesting if Ferrari are keeping Kimi. Or just to throw a curve ball, and who knows, a woman! (doubtful). Maybe a Honda sponsored driver, quite likely in my view.

6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I thought that as well . Pretty sure I have heard Sainz himself say if Danni stayed with Red Bull for next year , then he is a free agent .

7. Number 1 Jasper

Sainz to McLaren confirmed .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45208471

Carlos Sainz has signed a multi-year deal to replace Fernando Alonso at McLaren from the 2019 season, the team have confirmed.

Alonso, twice world champion, announced on Tuesday that he will retire from Formula 1 at the end of the year.

Fellow Spaniard Sainz, 23, is currently on loan at Renault from Red Bull.

"I've been a McLaren fan for as long as I can remember," he said. "It's a great name in the sport with an incredible heritage."

More to follow.

"It's a great name in the sport with an incredible heritage, and the list of drivers that have raced for McLaren over the years are among the heroes of Formula 1.

"Fernando is of course one of them, so it's particularly special that I'll be taking his seat as part of the next generation of Spanish racing drivers behind the wheel of a McLaren."

McLaren Racing chief executive Zak Brown said Sainz, who began his F1 career with Toro Rosso, provided "the perfect blend of youth and experience".

"We're incredibly excited to have Carlos join us as a McLaren driver," added Brown.

"We've been assessing him for some time now and rate him very highly among the next generation of young talent emerging through the ranks in Formula 1."

Sainz currently sits 11th in the drivers' championship standings with 30 points.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That ties that up then. Bit sad that it's not created a hole somewhere else so this cycle can continue

9. Big Ern

Sainz would but, apparently, Verstappen is trying to veto the move. It was 10-9 to Verstappen when they were at Toro Rosso, but that was only because sainz obeyed team-orders and Verstappen refused. Verstappen points haul looks more impressive but he won a lot of points with his 'Blue Flag Trick', but that will be useless racing up the front. As to RBR favouritism, it's not as bad as people believe, I think a lot of time it's just the circumstances and, if the positions of the drivers had been reversed, they would still have made the same decision (for example, Danny would've won in Spain '16). Most of the RBR favouritism stems from Wing-gate, which was a load of Webber bullshit, he'd complained about the new front wing all weekend, Brundle actually mentioned it during the session that the wings broke (both broke, not just the one on Vettel's car, but they could onl;y fix the one that came off webber's car)

10. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think Sainz is the definition of a "good, but not great" driver. He's done fairly well, but looked pretty inferior to Max and (more problematically) Hulkenberg.

Pretty solid signing for a midfield team overall. I do wonder how McLaren will cope now that for the first time since their decline began, they don't have clearly better drivers than their immediate competition. I'm sure running Alonso-Button saved them from even worse humiliation. Going to be pretty hard to beat Ricciardo-Hulk with Sainz-Vandoorne.

They'd be wise to pursue Ocon i'd say.

This effectively confirms Gasly at RB as well.

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh> Still going on about that <laugh>

Must be good to get a Webber whinge in, it's been a while ;)

12. allsaintchris.

I think Hulk now has to accept that he is not going to get a drive with a top team and just hope that Renault keep improving so they naturally move up the order.

13. Big Ern

But wing-gate is the root of the belief RBR play favourites, and the belief was enforce by Webber crying about it constantly, no one bothered to actually check.
    A bit like Trump & Brexit really

14. allsaintchris.

If people looked at facts there would be no conspiracy theories. that's just dull!

Big Ern likes this.
  15. Number 1 Jasper

Must admit . I thought I saw an interview with Horner where he said MW was not fussed about the new wing or not .

But have a look at this from 1:11 onwards .

16. Big Ern

Yeah, close to what I remembered. I wish I could find the BBC broadcast for the whole weekend, as it was Brundle mentioning, during FP, that Seb had raved the new wing whilst Webber had been disparaging it, that put me off Webber when he started crying about to the journalists it afterwards.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  17. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wonder if this means Red Bull released Sainz from his contract? Wonder why they'd allow that, Norris to STR?

easynic150 likes this.
  18. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

It does seem a bit weird. Seems like McL are getting Sainz and a tecky chap (cant remember his name) from Red Bull. So what are RB getting in return??????

19. Number 1 Jasper

As has been mentioned . I’m pretty sure Sainz himself said that if Riiciardo was kept on by RBR , then he became a free agent .

Nothing about releasing him from his contract .

20. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I thought I had read that RB had an option him till end of the month! I hope this isn't McL jumping the gun again with an announcement.