1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic F1 - 2018

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Mar 25, 2018.

1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

A quick search and I see that SB started a thread last year after the Australian Grand Prix. I have just watched the highlights from this morning's race. Anyone else watch? Should Vettel be applauded for taking advantage of an opportunity, or given a good smack for it? Slightly defeats the point of all the things they introduce to try and make the sport more interesting to watch. A win like that, I hope he realises it is a hollow victory.

sb_73 likes this.
  2. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

I think F1 needs a total revamp. It’s been dull for years.

I used to be a huge fan (I even went as far as buying a F1 car.... well just a rolling chassis) but now, I’ve stopped watching it entirely.

In my opinion it needs two formulas in one race. One for smaller private teams with fewer rules restrictions and one for super teams which can use cutting edge tech but lower power outputs.

It might promote actual racing and heaven forbid, attract a few much needed personalities to the sport.

UTRs likes this.
  3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Same old same old really. All too predictable and the only 'excitement' was Vettel stealing a march with a pit stop. Races should be won on the skills of the drivers not on opportunism. On that count F1 fails all the way with it's refusal to have a level playing field. 20 cars all with the same engine and design and let the cream come to the top. It'll never happen...

UTRs likes this.
  4. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Ferrari kept Vettel out in the hope of a flag as there was no way they would have caught Hamilton. Good move from Ferrari unlucky Mercedes.

Uber_Hoop, kiwiqpr and UTRs like this.
  5. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

As you say a hollow victory. But it is completely within the rules!

WARNING......CONSPIRACY THEORY COMING UP.....WARNING
    My only slight concern was the safety car came out because one of the Haas car stopped on the track due to loose wheel nuts
    Haas team is VERY tightly aligned to Ferrarri!!!
    {The other Haas car also with loose wheel nuts. HOW CARELESS IS THAT...TWICE) made it off the track}

The Vettels Ferrarri stayed out hoping for a safety car....and low and behold the Haas car gave it to them.

Okay..unlikely....

....or is it

Wherever, UTRs and sb_73 like this.
  6. daverangers

Very interesting. Surely makes it worth a full interrogation of the Haas engineer who messed up his only job, twice.

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

That was my first unworthy thought Beth, having read Alonso’s tirade against the Ferrari- Haas relationship last week.

But the fact is that without it Haas would not have the money to race at all.

Hamilton lost a lot of pace in the last few laps, might not have held on anyway. But he might have driven differently in the lead.

It’s undoubtedly not the spectacle it once was, but I still have tremendous admiration for the drivers and the designers and engineers.

Thanks for rebooting the thread Dave.

daverangers likes this.
  8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Watch the first lap for the crashes
    Watch the last lap to see who wins
    That's formula be for ya

igor60 and Uber_Hoop like this.
  9. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

Turkish" Premier" Hoops Well-Known Member

I actually went to Spa francochamps last year did it with camping F1,£465 this included return ferry from Dover and for pre pitched tent breakfast each day and all 3 days general admission ticket to track,showers were spotless as were toilets the beer tent had a bar 80 feet long, night time entertainment was a brilliant a UB 40 tribute band and food was excellent.
    Food and drink at track very expensive actually paid £17-50 for a burger and can of coke, but thouroughly enjoyed it and this year they have offered me Belgian Grand Prix then drive down to Monza from Spa and do Italian GP and all for £620 including 3 day general admission tickets, pre pitched tents breakfast at both venues am seriously considering it.
    Love F1 and yes it could do with some changes which I believe will happen eventually now that little,poison dwarf Ecclestone has nothing to do with it.

kiwiqpr, durbar2003 and sb_73 like this.
  10. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Bad injury in the Ferrari pit lane today.....

11. Sooperhoop

Vettel wins holding off Bottas, if Hamilton had been in Bottas' position with five laps to go he'd have won, that's the difference...

UTRs and durbar2003 like this.
  12. durbar2003

I think Hamilton would have more chances at overtaking him I think Vettel was slowing to help his tires and would have made it difficult to overtake him if it got that close.

13. Sooperhoop

A brilliant win for Cal Crutchlow in the Argentinian Moto GP, he now leads the World Championship standings...

UTRs likes this.
  14. durbar2003

Well, that was a good race today.

15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Alonso wins the Le Mans 24 hours, meaning he now needs the Indy 500 to become only the second man after Graham Hill to win these two plus the Monaco Grand Prix.

However his victory today is rather hollow, as no other car (except its stablemate) was competing in the same hypbrid class as his Toyota, and his car was so much faster than the independent non hybrid teams that only a failure to finish would have robbed him of victory.

WBA2_QPR3 likes this.
  16. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

Le Mans is the greatest car race on earth Stan. I went every year from '93 to 2011. It's not always about the opposition it's about the attrition of your own car against the the elements and fatigue

Granted there are some fallow years but it delivers great racing throughout the classes and the GT cars are where it's at for me

Plus it's a sort of Automotive Glastonbury for those attending, plus French plonk and BBQ food

sb_73 likes this.
  17. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

After a ten year absence the French GP is back on the F1 calendar, if England plus Lewis win this weekend then for me personally happy days<diva>

Lewis Hamilton tops French GP practice as Sergio Perez loses wheel

please log in to view this image

Lewis Hamilton tops French GP practice as Sergio Perez loses wheel

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton set a blistering pace in second practice at the French Grand Prix.

The world champion was a massive 0.704 seconds quicker than his closest rival, Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo.
    Hamilton's title rival Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari was only fifth fastest, 1.150secs adrift of Hamilton.
    The session included a 10-minute red flag period, caused when Sergio Perez's Force India lost a wheel, which potentially distorted the picture.
    The team will investigate how the wheel became detached at around 170mph on the Mistral straight, violently pitching the car into and 180-degree spin.

The delay meant drivers made their qualifying simulation runs at different times, when the track conditions may have been different.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44580941

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Grand_Prix

kiwiqpr likes this.
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Vettel gets pole again after Hamilton breaks down in Q2.

The Haas team are doing very well this season.

19. daverangers

Should be a good race though, hopefully watching Hamilton over take quite a few.

20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Bit of luck and team orders, the rain in which he excels, Hamilton wins.

You will never see Vettel coming from 14th on the grid to win a Grand Prix.

SW Ranger likes this.