1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2018 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Smithers, Apr 25, 2017.

1. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The only problem I see is can the Honda cope with the strains of a Newy ultra tight packaging car.

2. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Much like the problems with McLaren. Am sure RBR are studying the Torro Rosso closely, but not of course like a Ferrari/Haas situation, because that of course would be wrong and clearly they don't do that.

DHCanary likes this.
  3. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about additional funding from Honda. Red Bull have been rumoured to be working on a PU plus their sponsor Aston Martin are also looking at creating a PU should the 2021 regs be what they like.
    So for Honda they might only get 2 years with Red Bull before they have no car to provide a PU for! So not too sure Honda would pay RB to get the PU in the back. On top of that I thought Renault had ended the PU supply at the end of the 2018 season. So Red Bull might not have much of a choice!!! I can't see Merc or Ferrari supplying PU's and Renault ended their contract so only Honda left!

4. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

If I was Honda I'd be gunning to get my engine in Force India. You've seen what they can do with a budget of £3.60, imagine what they could do with a $100m top up.

5. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I am starting to wonder if red bull will be having second thoughts about backing Max as their main man. It did make sense, their young fast star, but as time goes on it's looking more like in a fight he'll simply be a liability. He's used to people moving out of his way, they won't do that if they're in direct battle with you.

easynic150 likes this.
  6. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Max has the potential to be absolutely mega, but not while the folks around him keep telling him that he's fine the way he is. They're not helping him to become to driver that he could be.

easynic150 likes this.
  7. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...ugh-for-2019-despite-team-opposition-1032355/

The F1 Commission has voted through last-minute changes to the 2019 aerodynamic package to aid overtaking – despite opposition from several teams.

Although there has been no official confirmation it is believed that when it came to the vote up to six teams were still opposed to the plans, with sources suggesting that Ferrari, Red Bull, Renault, McLaren, Toro Rosso and Haas said no, and that Williams was joined by Mercedes, Force India and Sauber in voting yes.

8. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

While this should in theory be a formality, it is unclear if Ferrari could try to use its veto over technical rule changes to block the tweaks.

To do so Ferrari would have to prove that the tweaks were against its own interests rather than something it didn’t like.

9. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

If only there was a counter-veto if someone could prove that the Flouncing Horse was acting against F1's interests.

10. SgtBhaji

I'm struggling to see how these changes will really aid ovetaking. Am I missing something?

11. ched999uk

Seems like it was a knee jerk reaction to Australia! Looks like removing front wing endplates so less front outwash so maybe a narrower 'hole' being punched through the air?
    They are also increasing the DRS flap on rear wings, so it will have more effect!!!! So with even more of a DRS effect last weekends race would have seen so many people mugged in the DRS zone it would have been ridiculous!

I think I am with the majority of the teams in that they shouldn't do the changes the FIA/Liberty are proposing. Seems like they will remove front downforce and cut down drag in DRS zones! Seems way too knee jerk to me but then again rules state any rule changes need to be passed within next week or otherwise it has to be unanimous! So it was a now or never thing. Seems silly to me.

12. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

The front wing bit makes sense. Makes the front wing a less effective tool so it'll be less effected by the wash of other cars.

The DRS is just a further way of dumbing racing down. More freebie speed.

Big Ern likes this.
  13. SgtBhaji

DRS overtaking is just fake manufacured overtaking that people generally don't like, and I'm just not getting how the changes to the front wing are going to get around the problem of these cars running in dirty air. Excuse my confusion here.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    ched999uk likes this.
  14. ched999uk

Only thing I can think of is as the cars wont be pushing the air sideways from the front wing there will be a narrower hole behind them.
    I can't see it helping much if at all really.
    DRS is too effective on some circuits as it is. Really does seem like the teams should have won this argument. Surely it will cost much more to develop new models and try new ideas to reduce tyre wake and regain front downforce. Surely the cars are going to be unbalanced aero wise unless the end plates just push air round tyres and don't really contribute to front downforce?
    Can't see it doing anything other than increase costs which is surprising as Williams voted for the change!!!!

15. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I don't think the wing change is to help the car behind. It's to stop your car being so affected by the car in front. You're asking your wing to do less work so it won't be so readily affected by turbulent air.

Big Ern likes this.
  16. SgtBhaji

But there will still be a lack of grip when following the car ahead, meaning that cars will still mostly stay out of the turbulence. That's what I'm struggling with.

17. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Yeah, they'll never be totally unaffected. They're basically just reducing the cars aero dependency so there's less loss when following.

18. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

that's the way I see it, there's not much they can do about the dirty air so they've made the car in front have less front downforce so they don't have such an advatage around the corner. Hopefully it'll also mean less carbon fiber cantrips when someone brushes gently against a wall.

19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Williams chief designer has left the team for “ personal reasons “ . Can’t post the link , but it’s on the bbc .

20. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

'Personal reasons' effectively meaning that he is personally not very good at designing a contemporary F1 car?

Big Ern and Number 1 Jasper like this.