1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2017 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, May 9, 2016.

1. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Surprised Toro Rosso retained Kvyat, maybe Gasly and his over-opportunistic statement had something to do with it? Or that Kvyat is signing for a firm number 2 role.

2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Kvyatt is a bit of a surprise, but Hulk hasn't been that bad, bad luck mainly as a lot of his poor results came from other people hitting him. That said, if I had to choose between a good driver and a lucky one, I'd probably choose the lucky one.

allsaintchris. likes this.
  3. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interestingly Button says he spoke to Ron Dennis with the intention of retiring and was talked into signing the sabbatical contract. odd as it's contrary to common wisdom that he was forced out.

Also taking the first steps away from the "break" official line by stating that he currently has no intention of racing again.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/17905172/jenson-button-ron-dennis-convinced-not-retire

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. EternalMSC

I'd rather he upfront to his fans and either have stayed, moved to another team or retired.

5. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

I think even his most ardent fans can see that his time has probably come to an end. As you say though, he should at least come out and say that.

Can't see a year out at his age doing him any good. Schuey wasn't the same after his break, or be it a 3 year one. Once you lose that 'edge' which drivers have because you're not constantly in the cockpit I can't see how you would get it back.

6. Big Ern

It didn't do Prost any harm, and Lauda won a WDC after 3 years out of racing. Button is still a great F1 driver, his main problem is the car and other guy in his team being (arguably) the best driver of his generation.

7. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Different times, cars were less technical etc etc Prost only lasted one season and could only just beat an inexperienced Damon Hill, more down to Hill's issues with reliability which cost him 3 race wins when leading than Prost really outpacing him, in the best car on the grid by far. Senna made Prost look stupid on many occasions in a customer Ford powered McLaren. Lauda also won in what was by far the best car of 1984.

Can't see why Button or McLaren would want him still fighting a dog of a car in mid-field. His salary is better spent on development. They have Alonso for the experience side of things.

There are far morer examples of drivers coming back only to clearly be not at their best anymore than those who came back and did well without having a massive car advantage. If Button came back in a Mercedes then he'd have a chance, but that would be the car and not him.

8. Big Ern

I'll counter that argument with simulators, no it's not the real thing, but it will keep a sabbaticaled (if that isn't a word, it is now) driver a lot sharper and more up to speed than when Kimi left. Alonso has been magnificent this season, totally owned Button points wise, but I don;t think he's massively out performed Button, but he has taken advantage of incidents to make 'illegal' overtakes (most notably at the Russian GP).
    though I do agree McLaren need to spend their money more wisely, and Vandoorne has shown in his outing he's not just going to make up the numbers, who knows who will be top dog next year, honda may sort out their engine, so too might Ferrari and |Renault, ofc Mercedes will probably improve as well, but the longer we go on the closer to parity they will become.
    Personally I think it'll be Max v Danny next season

9. EternalMSC

10. Big Ern

hmm, Mr loophole in charge of the regs, I quite like that, if he did a double act with Newey the loops would be as tight as an anorexic ducks arse.

Though no doubt another genius would figure a way, one of the things I love about F1, is there any other sport with so many unorthodox genius's? Chess, maybe...

SgtBhaji likes this.

11. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

KMag rumoured to have signed for Haas

12. Smithers

Forum Moderator

13. EternalMSC

What a headline!

14. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Would be brilliant for Ross Brawn to head things up and shows some real sense from Liberty Media!

15. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Deleted

16. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I agree, but reading up on Brawn at Merc he left as he couldn't trust people and he didn't have the authority he wanted. Hopefully if he takes up this position he will be going in on his terms. Considering he is taking over from Bernie getting the authority shouldn't be difficult, that together with his management and technical ability should see some positive changes.
    Hope he can be in post before new season starts.

17. EternalMSC

Last hope of saving the sport from spiralling.

18. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At least the powers that be can be sure he'll look after the powers that be. Lest we forget his signature is on the report that said F1 powers played no part in the Bianchi accident.

ched999uk likes this.
  19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I am very surprised . I would have thought rb would have wanted a role in a team .

20. Big Ern

He said he'd been there and done that already. three times. let's be honest, what could he do that he hasn't already done? took Bennetton to WDC, took the laughing stock that was Ferrari and turned them into an almost unbeatable force, run his own team and won WDC & WCC and was the driving force behind Mercedes current domination. The only way he could top any of that would be to go to Manor, build the car and win the WDC as their driver.

persoanlly I think they should have someone who doesn't have any connection with a team, but that's just wishful thinking.
    I imagine Ferrari will be happy though.

Number 1 Jasper and TopClass like this.