1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2017 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, May 9, 2016.

1. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

One thing the Americans seem to do like is History. They also seem to be suggesting that the heart of F1 is in Europe. That plus better distribution of 'prize' money.
    So they are making the right sounds but it will be interesting when the first track comes to renew it's contract.

I can't really see everyone being happy, circuit owners on reduced fees, teams more equal money, and the fans getting better racing PLUS the share holders getting a decent return!!!!!

I do love the way that the new owners publicly stated how the old company used tax laws to pay just 3.3%. All done by charging the UK company interest on 'loans' made by the Caymans Island company that wiped out any profits! Interest in the order of 130% per year!!! Great to hear the UK HMRC have reduced that loophole to 30% interest max.
    They were so impressed at the tax avoidance they have replicated their structure this way!!!!!
    Come on Governments round the world stop this tax avoidance by interest payments!!!! It's costing us decent tax paying people massively.

El_Bando and Smithers like this.
  2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

pff, as if they would, their paymasters wouldn't allow it.

SgtBhaji and ched999uk like this.
  3. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Yes, because it's easy for them to remember as they have less history to worry about than the rest of the world ;)

Big Ern likes this.
  4. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Formula 1's new commercial chief has revealed the four key areas that are his immediate priority as Liberty Media bids to make the sport better.
    Sean Bratches, a former ESPN executive, has been drafted in as F1's commercial chief to work alongside CEO Chase Carey and managing director Ross Brawn, who focuses on sporting matters.

In his first interview since taking the post, Bratches told CNN that there were some key areas that he believed needed the most attention in this first phase in his new role.

"There are four real things I am going to focus on," he said. "One is the brand – the brand is the entry-point for any company, any brand, any sport. And we are going to work to understand the brand.

"We are going to polish it, we are going to elevate it. It is going to be really central to what we do. That will allow us to enter new market places.

"It will allow us to take out of the market place what we should on the commercial side from sponsors, from rights holders, to promoters.

"The second is digital. I think there is a huge opportunity in the digital space to re-imagine the digital products that F1 has today, and to engage fans in very new ways and also to use sponsors to activate it.

"The third is creating a much more democratic approach in terms of how we approach our partners – from teams/sponsors/promoters and rights holders. There is a lot of opportunity to leverage the F1 IP to integrate it to their businesses.

"And the last one, is the race experience. Creating a better race experience that engages fans, spectators there and on television is a huge opportunity."

Commercial boost
    Carey believes that one of the areas where F1 can deliver huge growth is in commercial terms, with increased sponsorship and alignment with companies that want to get involved with the sport.

He pointed out on Tuesday that while sports like Major League Baseball have more than 80 people working on sponsorship acquisition, F1 had just one person – plus nobody working on marketing.

Bratches concurs that while the sport has achieved great things, it has under delivered in commercial terms.

"Unquestionably it is a Super Bowl every other week and I think that is going to be an emphasis of ours," he added.

"I think where the opportunity lies is on the commercial front, which I am going to be spend most of my time on. I think that generally speaking, it has under punched its weight class to date."

When asked by how much he felt it had fallen short, he said: "I have a point of view on that but I am not going to share that with you.

"We are going to pivot this from a very deal orientated platform to one with a long-term vision that is focused on a very cadence business strategic approach to running the business.

"There is a huge opportunity with the global brand, and where we are on the commercial side."

5. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Lots of hints abound that the new McLaren will changing livery completely and will be all or partly orange.

6. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

F1 steward Derek Warwick wants blue flags scrapped, penalties cut
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127854/scrap-blue-flags-in-f1--warwick

Any thoughts?

His thinking regarding the blue flags...
    I think it would be counter-productive. With aero being such a factor, overtaking is pretty hard already (more so than when he was racing F1). Without blue flags to guarantee that a soon-to-be-lapped driver will get out of the way, what options does the guy behind have?
    • Trust that the soon-to-be-lapped driver will get out of the way of his own accord
    • Go for a strategic pit stop (if the timing & other traffic is right)
    • Work extra hard for an overtaking opportunity, and make it stick (difficult with the current aero rules, and he's almost certain to lose a lot of time)
    • Get frustrated at the prospect (or reality) of being stuck behind a car that's almost a full lap behind, and try a desperate move.
    • Decide that it's better to be stuck than to risk a move that has a good chance of going wrong (unlikely, but it depends on the two drivers and the points situation)
    I don't think any of those would help the overall race, although the 4th would generate some drama at the circuit (and on this forum!). If those are the options, I prefer a blue flag to come out so that both drivers can get on with their respective races.

His thinking regarding fewer penalties...
    I guess it depends what he means by "the show", and whether he thinks that drivers can be trusted to keep the racing hard but fair. Recent incidents make me sceptical of that.

I find his closing words a bit ironic - talking about all the data that the stewards have available to them...
    It's a reflection of how the whole sport has become so reliant on technology - stewards have banks of screens, data flowing in from all directions, and an engineer to help them, but they're still unable to apply penalties consistently.

It suggests that the human beings are the weak link. Penalties are so much more consistent when applied by a gravel trap.

7. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Jules Bianchi tribute in new Ferrari!

8. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Sad day as manor have folded. I wonder if they will now start applications for 2 or 3 new teams on the grid with a better prize money structure. The spectacle is much better with more cars to take interest in.

Big Ern likes this.
  9. allsaintchris.

They should do, once the TV rights money has been sorted to be fairer to all teams to ensure that once a team makes the grid, it then has a good chance of carrying on. the fact all 2010 teams are now all gone because of financial reasons shows something isn't right.

10. ched999uk

Very sad day for Manor, their staff, and F1 as the last of the 'new' teams fail. Hope the staff find new jobs quickly and the companies owed money are able to survive.
    New owners need to sort this mess out. All 3 teams that joined, with the understanding that there was to be a budget cap are gone!!!
    At least all 10 teams will get prize money now.

To me part of the problem is that now F1 is behind more and more pay walls sponsors are not willing to pay the big money to be on the cars. So teams income potential suffers. Just look at McHonda, they have been looking for a title sponsor for what 3 years? OK So Ron wouldn't sell the space cheap but this has been caused by the pay walls!!!!

There needs to be less of a more you spend the faster you go approach. Technical innovation needs to be encouraged. Maybe more flexibility in rules and after a year all teams see each others designs. So team only gets 1 year advantage if they find a technical advantage. Obviously issues with IP but I am sure this could be worked out.

11. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

We can't continue this cycle of bringing in new teams then allowing them to collapse. Any better spread of funding is sadly too late for manor. Gutting.

ched999uk likes this.
  12. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

I understand that the teams at the back shouldnt have an easy payday but the pay gap between 10th and 11th is ridiculous

13. allsaintchris.

Any team that makes it to the grid with a fully functioning F1 car, shows that a decent amount of money was put in to get the project going so it should be considered a viable team.

I know they want to avoid some of the rubbish that used to turn up on the grid in the 80's and 90's, but these days its a lot harder to just buy a Ford/Judd V8 off the shelf, bolt it onto some kind of rudimentary chassis (usually an updated F3000 car) and go racing. So yes, they want to avoid people coming into F1 simply to get rich off the TV monies, but they still need to ensure that any new team has a good chance of surviving.

14. Big Ern

unsuccessful teams collapsing is hardly a new phenomenon, times were when a team would disappear every 3 or 4 races. I don;t think it will change much tbh, that's the nature of professional sports, not really Bernie's fault, more Manor's for failing. I think the best 'solution' is the Haas model.

15. ched999uk

Seems like Manor could rise from the ashes. It seems like the people looking to take over are concerned about Jules Bianchi accident. They are concerned about liability. So maybe the administrators shutting things down could be used to cut the liability and then sell 'Manors' assets, IP, and Race Licence holding company.
    Fingers crossed the staff will be back at work shortly and Manor will rise.

My opinion is that Jules Bianchi accident was down to FIA and their customs and practice over drivers actions on yellow flags.

16. Big Ern

Possibly, but that wasn't Manor's faultin any way, de Vilotta's accident, on the other hand, was more down to them.
    It would make sense just to buy it straight from the liquidators at a cut down price without all the debts and liabilities.
    Hopefully they'll return in some guise, but they're leaving it a bit late to get the 2017 chassis built.

17. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Manor staff reveal 2017 F1 car design

please log in to view this image

Formula 1 fans have been offered a first glimpse of what a 2017 Formula 1 car will actually look like, after a farewell image from Manor staff revealed its wind tunnel model.
    Administrators for the Manor team announced on Friday that hopes of finding a buyer to save the team had faded, and the outfit was being shut down.

In a bid to say goodbye, staff that had worked on the aerodynamics – including wind tunnel technicians, chief designer Luca Furbatto and head of aerodynamics Nikolas Tombazis – posed with a 50 percent scale model of the MRT07 in a picture obtained by Motorsport.com.

The car has been used as part of the team's development programme in the Mercedes wind tunnel.

It is understood that the version on display was not the 2016 car adapted to the new 2017 rules, as the team could have entered had it found a last-minute buyer, but was instead the project it was planning to compete with before it hit financial trouble.

Design explanation
    Although interpretations of the 2017 regulation have been made since the regulations were published, the Manor model is the first actual evidence of the direction teams are taking.

Here, Motorsport.com's Matt Somerfield explains in brief what the image shows us about the design choices:

The new front wing clearly features the deltoid shaping required of the regulations, but also shows how the team is trying a more aggressive outwash tunnel and cascade arrangement to displace airflow across and around the front face of the tyre.

The innermost inverted L-shaped cascades work the much talked about Y250 vortex which directs airflow around the front of the car, to prevent interference from the tyres.

The nose is broad like it was on the 2016 car, but terminates above the front wing's neutral section rather than beyond it, as the team looks to improve how the air moves down the car.

The airflow conditioners that flank the sidepods are retained and may have helped to improve flow around the now wider shoulder.

Concerns over visibility from the inboard mirrors may be realised too, as the the wider deltoid and cambered rear wing appear, at least from this forward facing image, to encumber the view.

18. Big Ern

"This is what we've designed, so if you've any sense buy us now, so we can build it"

and I bloody well hope they do,

Smithers likes this.
  19. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

On the other hand, if they were going to be reborn from the ashes in any form, you'd imagine the top guys would be kept on, and that they'd want to keep their project under wraps a little longer.

Although I suppose if you know you're doomed to last, there's little point worrying about that.

20. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Possibly position the mirrors above the side-pods like they used to be pre-2009?