1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2015 Season: Lineup's - Rumours - News

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Jan 24, 2014.

1. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

What's wrong with that? All superb ideas. Along with the sounds, those things are what helped produce the drama.

Thumbs up from me. :)

4. allsaintchris.

It's like dressing up a turd in salad garnish and trying to pass it off as a sirloin steak. Looks nice, but underneath it's still ****!

Won't make the racing any better and you'll soon get bored of it when the novelty wears off.

5. SgtBhaji

Even when the cars had V10/12, screamed like banshee's, hugged the ground in showers of sparks, trailed vortices and were all rolling flag packets... we still had our fair share of boring races and dominated titles, but the cars were at least exciting to watch nevertheless.

6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Exactly, it's all superficial. If they address the issues of racing rather than the equivalent to putting a playing card between the spokes on your bike, you'll end up with a genuinely exciting series. Rather than turning up in Melbourne, oohing and aahing over a few sparks and some hot bits of metal, and then back to 19 turgid races, I'd prefer the formula to be developed to encourage close racing so we get a better season. Rather than artificially sticking prongs of titanium close to the ground to make sparks, could we not re-introduce ground effect aerodynamics, and as a trade-off reduce the amount of ground force the wings create? I'm not sure about this, but I think ground effect would create less turbulence behind a car than the wings do, allowing drivers to get closer to rivals?

7. allsaintchris.

That is looking through it with rose-tinted specs a bit. Yes, looking back through the classic races on Sky, the first few laps look like the cars are going faster than they are because of the noise, sparks etc, but then it all goes back to processional racing.

The noise issue can be sorted without much fuss, but essentially the engines will still sound the same as their all V6's, so pitch and tone will generally be the same. Unless they open it up so they can choose the cylinder number there is little that can be done about that, but V6 is still the ideal option for a small capacity turbo so most woudl still use that.

What is missing now is Murray Walker and James Hunt. Unfortunately, no matter what regulation tweeks are done, some things cannot be replaced.

8. SgtBhaji

Not rose tinted specs at all... I'm acknowledging that even though we can look back on those times fondly, the same problems that existed then still exist today. What makes today seem duller is that all those sounds and sights are now missing... also these ultra-safe race tracks with packing-lots for run-off. The drama is just lacking.

Oh... and not enough rivalry anymore.

9. allsaintchris.

I agree with the daft run off areas to a point. Driver error is no longer punished, but on the plus side their is the argument that this allows drivers to take more risks on an overtake knowing that it's not race over if they over-cook it a bit.

Of course, they are now liabile to a penalty that wasn;t there before, but that's a debate for another day!

10. SgtBhaji

Let's not even get in to the penalty realms... it seems that on the rare occasions we do get some racing, it winds up with discussion on who should have been penalized for racing/blocking/just being there or why a ridiculous penalty was applied for racing.

11. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I miss the chequered flag man doing an elaborate flag waving dance in the middle of the track with cars going past him at 180+mph, I bet they do too, it must have been quite a thrill

12. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

It is a shame that the media has presented some of these proposals as gimmicks.
    I'd hope to think that at least some would see beneath the cheap veneer of sales-conscious journalism, which is evident in the manner in which some of the things being discussed have been delivered to the public. An example is the blasé reference to 'sparks' and 'vortices' which give the impression that such visuals are objectives in themselves, in order to generate excitement.

Nonsense!
    –They are some of the potential consequences of cost-cutting; by-products of simplification intended to increase competition by allowing smaller teams to be less disadvantaged than at present.

Don't dismiss these rough proposals out-of-hand. The motivation for this type of thinking is well-founded and really ought to be embraced by the public despite the likelihood that two teams will continue to resist efforts to make things fairer.

13. 51LV3R8RR04

51LV3R8RR04 Well-Known Member

Vettel to McLaren?

Ron Dennis: Nobody can say or know how it'd be if Senna & Vettel had raced at the same time, in the same team, in the same car. But I can say that Ayrton Senna and Sebastian Vettel are the best drivers of their generations.

14. Big Ern

Although he's probably right it's more a dig at Hamilton I think

15. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

I think it's sour grapes where Dennis is concerned..the two top drivers that he had is with two different teams...maybe he thinks he could get them thinking about coming back with reverse psychology..lol I would have liked to see Vettel and Hamilton in the same team with the same package with no multi 21.. That would have been very interesting indeed... But from what I heard Vettel vetoed that when Hamilton approached Red Bull. Well Vettel is now with a new team mate so let's see how he gets on ..so far Ricciardo has boon on top. But we will see at the end of the season where both are.

16. SgtBhaji

Or maybe it's just his opinion. :)

What was the question put to him?

17. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Maybe Dennis is trying to gets some of the other drivers distracted with those comments. All mind games I think. Just the other day he was saying the Jenson Button is like Senna....well maybe Jenson then is like Vettel I don't know what to make of those statements. Below is the one about Jenson Button. He said that Button has the speed to match Senna... Maybe he means now that he is no more..I don't know. But certainly he can't be saying that Hamilton is quicker than Senna? Then the question is who is Jenson quicker than in this present f1 field?

Jenson Button has the brains and speed to match F1 legend Ayrton Senna, according to returning boss Ron Dennis.

The 66-year-old labelled McLaren as the “Manchester United of F1” and tipped his team to shake off their worst season in nearly three decades as he vowed: “We will win this year.”

Dennis heaped praise on veteran Button, now the oldest driver on the grid at 34, after the Mercedes-powered outfit starred in pre-season testing.

“In many ways there are similarities between Ayrton and Jenson,” he said.

“He is an incredibly good human being. He has principles and values.

"And the way that he conducts his life and his relationship with this team is right up there with some of the other great drivers who have been with us.

Mark Thompson
    High praise: Jenson Button
    “And then he’s quick. He is capable of winning races and world championships. He is quick and I don’t think age is anything other than a positive input. I’m extremely optimistic.

“He is intelligent, which will be critical to understanding all the things on a car and what makes it quick. Intelligence has never been required more. ”

“Intelligence is going to become an absolute pre-requisite. This year is going to require brainpower and dedication. No-one is fitter than Jenson.”

Senna won a hat-trick of titles at McLaren and since his untimely death at Imola in 1994 is widely regarded as the greatest ever.

Dennis also revealed he was the one who took the decision to partner Button with speedy Dane Kevin Magnussen, even though he ditched his promising father, Jan, after a single unspectacular season in 1995.

“I had reservations,” he added. “I’m not a great believer in sons of drivers. Jan was a little bit untidy. He quite did my head in sometimes. But his son is steely and will have an exceptional career. I’m sure of that.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/mclaren-boss-ron-dennis-jenson-3215373#ixzz308TQ3jAb
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

18. Big Ern

I can see the type of Jounalist you are, do you have any credible evidence for this anywhere? or is this more Hamelot bollocks?

19. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

You are judging before you understand what I said..I said I heard that, I didn't say I knew it or it was true..I said I heard it, and I read that somewhere. So get off your high horse ok. Did you actually read the post or you didn't understand it?

20. 51LV3R8RR04

51LV3R8RR04 Well-Known Member

I have heard a lot of veto excuses being chucked about with Vettel-Alonso-Hamilton when joining each other.

Vettel was tipped to join McLaren in 2008, yet Heikki got the seat instead. (Possible veto)
    Vettel was again tipped to join McLaren in 2010 as he was considered the best driver of 2009, instead Button was picked. (Possible veto)
    Vettel was tipped to join Ferrari in 2010 with Alonso, instead Massa was kept. (Possible veto)
    Vettel was tipped to join Lewis at Mercedes for this season at the expense of Rosberg, Toto/Lauda prefer drivers from working class families because "they push more." (Possible veto)
    Vettel was heavily tipped to join Alonso in 2014, Alonso was "rumoured" to not veto the move, and then vetoed the move towards the end. Kimi gets the seat instead. (Possible veto)

Alonso was tipped to join Red Bull but Ricciardo got the push instead. (Possible veto)

Who knows how many vetoes are true, but Vettel isn't the only one making them if they're all true. Veto is just a slur to say chicken **** basically and no driver will admit that until we get 10-15 years down the line after they retired. But then we might have a decent reason why they did it because of sponsor power taking an influence rather than driver talent.