1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2015 Season: Lineup's - Rumours - News

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Jan 24, 2014.

1. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

If they don't make investments in their own facilities, I am sure they could pay less to borrow/loan facilities from the bigger teams. But your point is good, I don't see how the cap will make any significant difference at all.

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

The tight regulations over recent years have restricted innovation more than anything. But if the budget cap is $200mil, that won't do anything to help small teams and the bigger teams can just drop that new hospitality suit to get within budget. It's pointless. They need to give the smaller teams a bigger slice of the pie when it comes to splitting the cash.

3. EternalMSC

How much did Marussia (small team from Yorkshire) get for grabbing a point last season? And how much did Redbull get for using an evolution of last years car and dominating the championship...
    F1 is so out of key, and with double points, and weird arse rules it's getting worse.

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

when was this?

5. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

I assume Manny means the extra they got for finishing 10th overall and bagging the extra prize money over 11th. Think it includes free travel so works out at quite a lot.

6. EternalMSC

Compared to RB's winnings it must be like a tenth I am sure of it. But free travel is a big bonus like you said.

7. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe they should only reward the top 3 teams (smiliar to a podium) with prize money related to their finishing position and then whats left split equally between the remaining teams? It seems strange that the lowest performing teams which are in most cases restricted by their lack of funds get the least from the pot that every team has contributed to.

8. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Is it true you don't get the money unless you finish in the top 10 2 years running? Or have I made that up?

9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's a top 10 finish in 2 of the last 3 seasons I believe. I don't think Marussia actually gained any prize money from their last season finish, but they've now only got to achieve it once in the next two seasons to get some cash. Caterham on the other hand absolutely have to finish in the top 10 this season, or they'll miss out on money.

10. EternalMSC

So harsh.

11. allsaintchris.

Is Simon de Silvestro the most realistic chance of a female driver F1 for a while?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112516

Watched her in IndyCars the last couple of years and she is always mid-grid and got a lot better last year with some good quali and races towards the end of the season.

Has some backing, but is also one of the few Swiss racing drivers that compete in the upper echelons of motorsport, so may have double marketing potential for Sauber.

12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

she's not as good as the some of the men in indycar that weren't considered good enough, says it all really, this 'sexual equality' (ie, giving women an easier go of it), has already cost the life of one woman who wasn't up to the job of driving an F1 car, can't they wait until one of them is actually good enough to warrant it?

13. allsaintchris.

Difference between them is de Silvestro is competing in a competitive series and has been for some time and she is regarded as a very competent driver by her peers The cars are as quick and the horsepower is comparable with F1 so can't see her having the same issues, no matter the freak circumstances of de Villota's accident.

14. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought when I first saw this it was going to be another no-mark thirty-something only getting the drive because of family connections/money, but I agree this is probably the most realistic in a while. Having a look at her career on wikipedia, she's showed some promise, and the article suggests her poor 2012 performance was mainly the result of a vastly inferior engine. (Why she has just about the only driver not capable of switching is curious though?). A podium in 2013 is not to be sniffed at.

At 25 she's a good age compared to the previous women we've seen in testing roles of late, and whilst no doubt finances, gender and nationality all play a part, on paper I'd say she looks a stronger driver than Sirotkin at least. If male drivers are increasingly needing extra incentives to get signed, I don't see why we can hold that against women. Sure in an ideal world we'd have the best drivers in the world in one series, but that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Good luck to her.

On another note, the battle for 2015 race seats at Sauber is going to be interesting. Sirotkin, de Silvestro, Sutil, van der Garde and Gutierrez are all in the mix at the very least.

15. allsaintchris.

She drove on of the two teams that used Lotus engines. Bourdais' team had them as well and he was well off the pace.

Chevy & Honda didn't have enough engines until mid-season to supply these teams with replacement engines so they had to wait.

16. EternalMSC

Rumours floating that RB may look for a new engine supplier. Source Planet F1.

17. allsaintchris.

PlanetF1 is good for wild rumours, though most are wide of the mark and without much substance.

Who would supply them? Ferrari and Mercedes have their own works teams so won't want to get hammered by RB, and McLaren will doubtless have a veto over who Honda can supply.

They've had one bad test, hardly the time to decide now they need new engines.

18. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

There was a rumour of Peugeot thinking of joining F1. RED bull have links with Citroen in wrc

19. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I guess it's all related to how bad Renaults problems are. I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to redesign the car for a different engine. A large proportion of the car will be designed round the Renault engine.
    My guess is that they are just piling on the pressure to ensure Renault do all they can to sort the problems.

I can't really imagine VW or Audi getting involved just as engine supplier, Peugeot I doubt as it doesn't really seem to fit with their image. Honda, would appear to be in at least a 1 year exclusive with McL. So I suppose that leaves Porsche, a v6 turbo with electrical boost systems would seem a good marketing tool. There are of course a few US car makers that could come in but I don't think that they have a brand that is big enough in the main F1 race countries to be of enough benefit but that may be the key, i.e. get your brand coverage in other markets to enable you to grow there.

The 2015 season can't come quick enough, well that is as long as I can get time to get my dish up and receiving RTL :)

20. ice-powered-slickman

I can't see Alonso at Ferrari in 2015.