1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2014 Season: Lineup's - Rumours - News

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Jan 29, 2013.

1. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Seems pretty dodge.
    Also how fat does the car look in this picture compared to its rivals, full power chunks!

please log in to view this image

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Jon Noble reckons Lotus will run a new nose at Austin, ditching the twin tusks.

3. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29698183

Frankly Kobayashi is a better man than me to still be helping them out, if I knew the team had pulled a bodge-job on my car I'd have refused to go anywhere near the thing especially if they'd been trying repeatedly to replace me.

It's a shame he's probably not even going to be on the grid next season, either.

4. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

It's incredible how little detail there is around the side and rear of that car, every car has sculpted sidepods and a coke bottle shape towards the rear, The Caterham just has a bent fridge freezer and the arse from a washing machine. You can see it when there's onboard shots too, the drivers have little or no high speed stability.

I guess they went under the principle of very little aero detail being better than expensive detail that could go wrong.

5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

McLaren chief Ron Dennis believes customer teams will never be able to win a Formula 1 championship under the current engine regulations.
    Ahead of his team's switch to Honda power units next year, Dennis said earlier this month that works teams have such a huge advantage in getting the most out of the new hybrid systems. Reflecting on his team's campaign as a Mercedes customer, McLaren's Group CEO said: "The one thing that jumps at you, if you look at all the qualifications this year, is the time difference between the Mercedes-Benz works team and other teams. And by and large it is always in excess of one second, putting aside the pace that they can generate in a grand prix when they are on their back foot.
    "My opinion – and it is an opinion held by many people within our organization – is that you have no chance of winning the world championship if you are not receiving the best engines from whoever is manufacturing your engines. And a modern grand prix engine at this moment in time is not about sheer power, it is about how you harvest the energy, it is about how you store the energy."
    He added: "Effectively, if you don't have the control of that process, meaning access to source code, then you are not going to be able to stabilize your car in the entry to corners, etc., and you lose lots of lap time. Even though you have the same brand of engine that does not mean you have the ability to optimize the engine."
    Dennis said the conviction that having a works engine was necessary was behind his team's switch to Honda, as he made clear that his outfit will be its number one priority even if other customers come on board.
    "You have to start by putting yourself in a position where you have the best engine available," he said. "That is what we have done over I would say over the approaching years – read into that what you want. It is not months.
    "We have had a great partnership with Mercedes but we intend to hit the ground running with Honda and that is the first step."

6. Smithers

Forum Moderator

A company that builds cars for the Caterham Formula 1 team has gone into administration, putting hundreds of jobs at risk.

Caterham Sports Limited, in Leafield, Oxfordshire, manufactures racing cars for the F1 team, which is operated by 1 Malaysia Racing Team (1MRT).

Administrator Finbarr O'Connell said 200 jobs were affected and up to £20m was owed to external suppliers.

He said the Caterham F1 team wished to continue to race.

Caterham Sports Limited had been manufacturing the cars under a licence from 1MRT.

'Positive discussions'
    Administrator Smith & Williamson said "positive discussions" had been held with Caterham team manager Manfredi Ravetto and financial backers to see whether the relationship with Caterham Sports Limited could continue.

It said if an agreement could not be reached, it would look to sell the manufacturer and assets of the company.

Earlier this month bailiffs visited the Leafield site and seized items, including a 2013 F1 test car.

7. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

oooh, that's not good

8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

9. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Just to add to BLS post.

CATERHAM F1 TEAM STATEMENT

22 October 2014

On 29 June 2014, Caterham Enterprises Ltd, Caterham (UK) Ltd and Sheikh Mohamed Nasarudin (Seller) and their shareholders Tony Fernandes and Datuk Kamarudin Bin Meranun entered into a Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA) with Engavest SA (Buyer) with regards to 1Malaysia Racing Team Sdn Bhd/Caterham F1 Team.

Since the date of the Agreement, the Seller has refused to comply with its legal obligations to transfer their shares to the Buyer. The Buyer has been left in the invidious position of funding the team without having legal title to the team it had bought. This is in total contradiction to the Seller’s press release of 3 October 2014 which stated that Mr Fernandes and his Caterham Group had no longer any connection with the Caterham F1 Team.

The administrators of Caterham Sports Limited have been appointed on behalf of Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad (Exim), a creditor of Mr Fernandes and the Caterham Group. The Buyer has no connection with Exim. Caterham Sports Ltd was a supplier company to the Caterham F1 Team. Very regrettably, the administrators' appointment has had devastating effects on the F1 Team's activities. Since their appointment, the administrators have released various press statements which have been severely detrimental to the management of the Caterham F1 team.

After three months of operating the Caterham F1 Team in good faith, the Buyer is now forced to explore all its options including the withdrawal of its management team. Lawyers have been instructed by the Buyer to bring all necessary claims against all parties, including Mr Fernandes who, as an owner, will run the F1 operation.

Ends

To download Caterham F1 Team hi-res images, rights free for editorial use, go to http://caterh.am/HiResImages All images must be credited "Caterham F1 Team" and are made available strictly for editorial use. Any commercial, marketing or advertising use will be at the discretion of Caterham F1 Team.

10. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

Fernandes is an arsehole. Can't believe I used to think he was good for the team. Chances of Caterham being on the grid next season are close to nil. Poor Kobay. :(

11. Smithers

Forum Moderator

A lot of F1 folk suggesting that we will be lucky to have 10 teams on the grid next year?

12. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I really can't see Caterham making the grid next season unless someone comes in with serious money. Would be a real shame to lose them.

13. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

What a dick Fernandes really is. Hopefully someone decent will buy them out or a new fresh team will come in (after Forza and HAAS)

14. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

He is very questionable. The way he runs his QPR football team is very suspect too.

Having said that, It's hard to know what the story is tbh, whether the new "owners" have done stuff in good faith and just been shafted or whether the new owners are the ones trying to pull the wool over everybody's eyes and this is a deflection tactic. The fact they brought in Kolles makes me very suspicious of them, he's very dodgy.

Regardless, sounds like Caterham are finished.

15. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

End game, it's all money when the sun goes down. Notes and pennies.

16. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

Tony Fernandes appears to be claiming he has not been paid by these mysterious investors, reckon there is a lot more to this than meets the eye tbh

Perhaps another quantum/Lotus situation? Fernandes so desperate to get rid of Caterham he took them at their word (strange how the money men are hiding, mansoor again?) trying to get into a team the sell off the teams spot in F1?

17. pob

pob Active Member

Could Kolles has been asset stripping Caterham for the benefit of Forza Rossa?

18. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

19. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

That's my suspicion with Kolles.

All the talk of "the F1 entry being the most valuable asset" etc followed by talk of relocation from the so called new (and now disputed) owners makes me think they are trying to get in with Caterham on the cheap, asset strip them, take what they can use to Forza Rossa base and sell on the entry they have left over.

20. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Well they have been asset stripped but not by Kolles.... unless you are saying its like a bank job but there is a hole in the loot bag?