1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Every cloud has a silver lining(OT)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Norway, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Norway

Norway Well-Known Member

A few weeks before Christmas I posted on here about a good mate of mine, a mag, but never the less a good mate, big Tony, larger than life, always up for a laugh. He had just been diagnosed with cancer, and told he had months rather than years to live. Sorry to say he lost that battle on Saturday 11th Feb just 3 months after his diagnosis. The funeral was on Friday 17th and a few of us travelled over from Stavanger for it. So many people, neighbours, friends and many, many guys he had worked with in the past, some from many years ago, turned out for him. Lots of mags and a few Sunderland supporters, and of course we had a bit banter at the pub afterwards. One Mag asked who they were playing the next day, I said “ Who were you drawn against in the cup? Oh sorry you’re not in the cup are you!” of course, that created quite a few growls. But there were lots of comments about how well we were doing under MON, and the arsenal game would go

The silver lining bit:
    Neither me or my other Sun’land mate, who had travelled for the funeral, get to matches that often so we had got tickets, weren’t too sure about where to go, so we decided “sod the expense” (£40) and went for the Black Cats bar (Strongbow stand I think).
    Absolutely magic, even free food (which was excellent), great atmosphere, great result. Just a shame I couldn’t brag to my mate Tony afterwards.
    BTW, I thought the crowd looked more like 30-31000 and the atmospere was great, had two kids with their father just behind us. When all the arsenal player kept falling over, one of the kids shouted at the top of his voice “get up you pussies” the crowd around us thought it really funny. His father asked him where he got that from, he said just heard it here!

Determined to get over for more games, not just the sad occasions.

2. Hieronymus

Hieronymus Member

Great post Norway. Sorry about your mate.

3. Durhammackem

Durhammackem Member

Lovely post Norway. There's more to life than football, though sometimes you'd think there wasn't!

4. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

This.