1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Everton v Norwich

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Nov 19, 2019.

?

Who shall win?

1. Everton

30.8%
  2. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Norwich

46.2%
  4. Reading

23.1%
  1. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

I saw the scoreline and was almost in shock so watched the very limited highlights this morning - well happy

Now watching Everton fans reaction video's - man they are not at all happy :emoticon-0102-bigsm

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  2. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I was shattered so I was fast asleep when the game went on, but checked as I got up in the morning.

Has anybody noticed that we seem to do well after we have international breaks? It's as if we have more time to prepare for that specific opposition and Farke sits down with his other tacticians and works out a way to train or play to win against them.

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Man of the match - Kenny McLean (Norwich City)
    Kenny McLean led the way for Norwich with 41 completed passes and 73 touches.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50443054

Swivel, Lawro, you ignorant tool :emoticon-0173-middl :emoticon-0172-mooni

4. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I think yesterday was much more about having 2 CB's at centre back and 2 DM's in defensive midfield positions. The confidence from having a whole team of round pegs in round holes was there for all to see, even in the brief highlights <ok>

oldcanariesfan and chinacanary like this.
  5. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

The effect of Zimbo on the balance of the whole team was clear to see. He can also pick out a wicked long ball which mixes up our attacking options. It was lovely to sit back and enjoy the team looking more cohesive. It was also lovely to wake up with a win and a smile on my face. OTBC

6. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

So, will Bill Kenwright be firing the Silva bullet anytime soon? :emoticon-0112-wonde
    Leicester up next, then Liverpool, Chelsea, and ManUre.
    A dour, uninspired performance from them yesterday - worthy
    of an Allardyce or a Pulis <laugh>

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  7. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

The big call of the day though was the dropping to the bench of Emi Buendia, explained by Farke as being due to the excellent work by Todd “The Dereham Deco” Cantwell on the Colney training pitches of late.

It worked though and coupled with the moving forward of Kenny McLean to become chief support for Teemu Pukki, City had a front four (including Onel Hernandez) that looked a threat, albeit on the counter, again.

McLean is a hard working and sometimes underrated player but he played a role further forward when he was at Aberdeen and he added something different here with his physicality in the air and some clever play. Teemu Pukki suddenly had support, something that Marco Stiepermann has struggled to provide this term.

https://norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk...-sir-benny-norwich-city-are-back-in-business/

carrowcanario and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  8. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Hair of the dog .

20191124_181614.jpg

chinacanary likes this.
  9. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Zimbo certainly made a difference, taking the responsibility off Godfrey's shoulders and making some excellent passes downfield as well. The contrast was clear from the way we played against Watford, but it was also shifting the balance by playing Tettey and Trybull together with McLean further forward, but dropping back when we lost the ball. Kenny (my MotM) made an excellent pivot between midfield and the attacking players while not leaving us vulnerable at the back.

Up front, Pukki, Cantwell and Hernandez thrived on the improved service and counterattacking opportunities. They could have scored more. The first goal was a long time coming, but we kept it tight until then. Both FBs played well and Krul made some excellent saves before Srbeny forced his way through their defence for a well taken goal. He was not going to be denied. Arsenal will be another test, but I hope DF keeps the same line-up next week.

Canary Spring and chinacanary like this.
  10. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Kenny Mad dog McLean #23 played a blinder on the 23rd of the month.

;)

RiverEndRick likes this.

11. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

I think "should have" rather than "could have", Rick. I know Onel has been criticised in the past for not contributing more goals, but assists are as good as goals and a simple pass to the unmarked Pukki rather than a shot that Pickford saved would have seen us take the lead earlier than we did.

My trust in DF has been sorely tried over the past several weeks since the Man City game, on account of what appeared to be stubborn refusal to contemplate a change in approach despite the obvious need. I hoped that Bournemouth marked the turning point, only to find that no, it didn't. So prior to yesterday's game I set DF a two part test, the first part of which he passed yesterday with flying colours. The second part requires him to show the lesson has been thoroughly learned, by maintaining the same shift of balance between defence and attack for home matches at Carrow Road.

12. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Hear hear

It would be enormously helpful if an opposition striker doesn’t brutally scythe him down (for barely any punishment) again

13. RiverEndRick

Perhaps 'should have' scored more, but both GKs were on top form and had Schneiderlin not got the tip of his foot to deflect Cantwell's well struck shot that would have tucked into the top corner. As you know, I've been just as frustrated with the unwillingness to change during this bad run, but now that he has hopefully he'll not change a winning team against Arsenal.

14. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between "not changing a winning team" and accepting that, in this league, the balance has to be adjusted and more emphasis given to staying solid defensively. Not just against teams like Man City, and not just away from home, and not just when you are trying to halt a losing streak, but every game, home and away.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  15. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I must have had the same commentary.

"One women in particular will need a proper lie down after that." Was that the women in the stands after the game who cupped her hand around her mouth and shouted what looked like "F.U. Silva"? Not very ladylike. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

RiverEndRick likes this.
  16. RiverEndRick

I totally agree, but I think McLean replacing Stiepermann in the pivot role and Tettey and Trybull in midfield were at the heart of the tactical changes. Having Zimbo back also helped, especially his raking passes to forward players as we mixed counterattacking with possession tactics. With a few exceptions we kept our shape defensively by covering the forward runs of Aarons and Byram. That caused problems for them that we haven't been causing in recent matches. Long may it continue.

17. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

We did alright.
    There, my take in a sentence. :grin:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    canary-dave and RiverEndRick like this.
  18. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Poor fella's got enough on his plate trying to keep us up. <laugh>

RiverEndRick likes this.
  19. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member