1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Even Grayson Doesn't Expect Promotion?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ristac, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

But those teams that sacked their manager had already been in the league for at least a year and hadnt just got promoted did they

2. notesteponawhite

No league is easy,ffs we know that,but surely our aim is to get promoted?
    Yes it might be hard with all the cashed up clubs like lester and the sham.

3. Josh-LUFC

yes but the aim and expectation is different. Like i said theres no point in debating this because we will just go round in circles

4. Clivetime

Clivetime New Member

Norwich had just been promoted and they finished 2nd!

5. Josh-LUFC

good for norwich and i do seriously mean that and i think if we had been better in january that coulda been us and i think both grayson and bates were poor in january. however they hit form at the right time and Paul lambert i rate incredibly highly. Although they spent more money than us, doesnt mean that you have been unsuccessful because a club that finished higher than you the year before got promoted and we didnt. No one expected either leeds or norwich to eb challanging the way we did. That is why it was a successful campaign

6. Clivetime

Clivetime New Member

So you think Norwich went up because they had a better manager, yet you don't want us to have a better manager?

7. Josh-LUFC

i would like us to have the best manager in the world, if mourinho wanted to come to leeds i would sack grayson, but theres alot more in the situation of norwich than the manager, e.g. money was avaialable. It takes managers longer to get settled as well which wastes time. I believe that grayson is capable of getting us promoted this season and if this is bates belief as well then why would he sack grayson

8. Clivetime

Clivetime New Member

You just said that money didn't matter. We've been told that it was available at Leeds anyway.

If he couldn't do it last season, why would he do it this season?

9. Josh-LUFC

When did i say money doesnt matter, no need to put words in mouth. you do not necessarilly require money to get promoted, however it can speed the process up a bit. If you have a good academy system (like we do) and can also spot very good players that are on frees (like we do) the you can still get promoted, It may not be instant but you can definately build a decent squad for very little or no money at all.

He can do it this season as we have a better squad and the players as well as grayson all have an extra year's experience in the championship, they know what its about. We also have many youngsters starting to come through as well. I do firmly believe we can get promotion this year automatically as well not through the play-offs

10. Clivetime

Clivetime New Member

You've told me not to put words in your mouth and then you've just basically said it.

The squad isn't better and Grayson has said that himself.

Grayson already had experience of the Championship before last season.

He hasn't given a single youngster their debut in nearly three years at the club. What makes you think he'll suddenly start playing them?

11. Josh-LUFC

the reason he hasnt is because they havnt been good enough, thats obvious. I think your just a twat to be honest.

The squad is completely better in every way

12. Clivetime

Clivetime New Member

How is it obvious when we haven't seen them? You don't know if they'll be good enough unless you give them a chance anyway.

If they weren't good enough before, why are they good enough now?

Only Tom Lees was involved against Newcastle.

How is the squad completely better in every way?

13. Spanish white

Spanish white Active Member

Clive stop.......

you are just winding everyone up and there is no need.
    You cant be a Leeds fan as you never have anything positive to say.......

You pretend to know what your talking about and pretend your a Leeds fan with no evidence to back any off you comments up.

Its sad.....

14. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

From Talksport ;

Exclusive - Grayson hopeful of promotion push

Leeds manager Simon Grayson has revealed he expects the Championship to be as tight as ever this season, as his side prepare for another promotion push.
    Grayson’s newly-promoted side narrowly missed out on making the play-offs last season, and he has told talkSPORT he expects another tough challenge this season as the Elland Road outfit look to claim a place in the top-flight for the first time since 2004.

“We feel confident we can beat any team, it’s going to be a tough season but one we’re looking forward to.”

Link - http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...34/8/exclusive-grayson-hopeful-promotion-push

15. TogetherOnMarching

TogetherOnMarching Active Member

It doesn't fill me with confidence though guys... making excuses before the season has even begun. SG should just be getting on with achieving promotion, not worrying about his own skin.

I agree, promotion is not a given and it is going to be hard... but the blame with this one can lay firmly with KB. What did he say "you want Premiership football blah blah blah". Well that's where the expectation comes from!!! That and the type of club we are, I wouldn't want to change that.

One Leeds - diferent teams completely. I don't see your comparison really. If a club below us doesn't have the backing we have and doesn't have the ambition we have, then they can aim for whatever they like and their manager is not going to achieve anything but we are Leeds. I'm not saying I want SG sacked but if we don't get promoted soon then, yes, SG has failed and should be sacked. I would personally like SG to lead us there in all honesty.

16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My own take on it is that Lorimer and Bates are sending out ripples regarding expecting promotion. If Bates says to Grayson I expect you to win promotion this year then Grayson will turn round and say okay how much are you wishing to spend on improving the team?

We all know Bates isn't willing to spend a penny so instead of Bates saying "I Expect Promotion" he is laying the blame with the fans, or Lorimer is through the media.

I believe those words by Grayson are his way of having a slight dig back. Grayson references; Fans saying we are bigger than Leicester and their spending, calls from players and we can't afford wages and having to reduce squad to keep star players.

Read the article again and it makes quite sad reading, maybe I am reading it with half empty glasses on but those words look to me like they are coming from the mouth of a very frustrated manager.

17. Josh-LUFC

I can see your point but i think its only to cover his back. I expect a top 6 finish but we should be aiming for a top 2 finish

18. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Its all a bit deflating quite frankly,especially before the season has even begun. He never comes out with rousing speeches of Churchillian proportions,something to get the players & fans pumped up.
    Why should we lower our expectations? We pay PL prices so expect PL football. We are Leeds United not some run of the mill club with 15k average attendance like Blackpool,& even they managed it.
    I rather Grayson sounded a bit arrogant about our chances than come out with this negative drivel,& he if he thinks we're just also rans & there to make up the numbers he should step aside & let Poyet inject some enthusiasm into the club.

19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bates sets the pricing structure, wage structure and transfer budget. Agreed a club the size of Leeds and we should be hoping for promotion but it is no good any of us aiming anger at Grayson if he is not being given funds to sign the players he would like. Why should he come out and give an epic speech about how well we are going to do? If he did Bates would have another stick to beat him with if and when we failed to to win promotion and the fans would call him a liar.

20. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

is it so hard to understand that aims and expectations are different in football. There will be many teams aiming to get promotion this year but I don't think any team can expect it, not even West Ham. There are only 3 promotion spots and about 3x as many teams who feel they can realistically grab one of those spots.