1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Euro's final :-England v Italy

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Last night's defeat can totally be laid at the managers feet. Tactics were all wrong, he tried to do it the old Italian way, get an early lead and try and strangle the game out of the opposition, unfortunately they were masters at it and it's alien to our players.
    Where was Kane supposed to be playing, right wing, left wing, AM, anywhere other than where he should have been, Sterling is wasted on the right, one of the pluses at this tournament was the partnership between him and Shaw. Mount was totally ineffective, was shocked to see him come out for the second half. Then when I saw Saka was to come on, I immediately said, totally wrong sub, you're under the cosh and what do you do bring on an inexperienced and mainly ineffective young player, madness.Rice was possibly the best player on the pitch for us, but what does Gareth do, takes him off. Penalties well, it's anyone's guess wtf happened there, not his fault but wtf was Saka doing taking that last pen.
    Oh well they gave us some hope and did better than most of us expected but with a bit more positivity and belief we could have had it won in the first half when the Ities were at each other but giving them possession also gave them back their confidence.

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Before the final, I saw a chart of total KMs covered. Philips was responsible for one third of the entire England squads figure

3. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Bielsa fit.

Makemstine Roger and ristac like this.
  4. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Maybe Italy should've changed the way they've always played just to suit England :emoticon-0114-dull:

Having said that, from the start of the tournament they did change. They were more attacking than they have been for years. At times they were exhilarating to watch. The same can't be said of England.

On England, everything was stacked in their favour. It was like a home tournament, the only game on neutral territory being against a poor Ukraine side in Rome. They even won the coin toss to have the penalty shootout in front of their own fans.

Italy played to their strengths, England didn't. Italy had a coach who knew what he was doing, England didn't.

The best team won.

5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

anyone for pizza........just like momma makes <laugh>

6. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

Southgate should be renamed Nandgate he's that negative

7. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the game until I heard it was all square after the first ET session. It allowed me the opportunity to pause, wind back & re-watch etc., as unlike most of the country, I wasn't desperate for the end result.

The first thing that had me pausing was Rice. There were 2 occasions in the first half where he should have had a yellow, but the ref missed it. I only mention this as I wonder if it was a factor in replacing him. I wonder if the manager was concerned about his self-control, leading to his replacement. It was a deadly mistake. I don't know a lot about Henderson, but given a performance like that, you have to question if he'll play for Liverpool again. I guess in mitigation you could say that his season was seriously disrupted by injury & playing as emergency CB. Whatever it was, he played crap.

Next serious bit of pause/rewind was the tackle on Grealish. My instant reaction was red. Then I realised it was Grealish, so immediately forgave him. After watching several replays, & taking the Grealish factor out of the equation, I think the rf probably got it right. The Tally went in studs-up, leg straight, but his first contact was fully on the ball. The injury came from his forward momentum as his foot slipped from ball to knee, so not quite enough for a red imo. Had I been in the ground & as excited as the england fans, I'd have been screaming for a red too, however, I actually think the ref got a very difficult decision correct.

As for the 'made for pens' subs, I cannot fault the manager as the tactic was sound. He wasn't to know that they'd seriously fcuk up. Their pens really cheered me up, as you might expect.

Just watching the lunchtime news & finding out about the online racist abuse. At this rate, the taking the knee pantomime will go on forever with not a jot of the desired progress. And yes, I am laughing. I always thought that 22 players on their knees was only going to elicit derision. Who tf thought otherwise? They just don't understand football fans, do they?

8. Whitejock

How about Penogate due to his association with critical pens being missed? <whistle>

9. Whitejock

'You'? So you're not an england fan then? Does that mean you're a fully fledged Australia fan now?

Btw, the joke headline seems to have sailed right over your head.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Yep. The media and BLM movement and everything that goes with it has pushed skin colour/religion to the front of people's mind. It's just become the first thing that people will go to when they want to hurt someone. They know it will get a reaction so is probably more prominent than it was.

You get a bit of stick because you're Scottish. If I say something to you about nationality it's not because I hate Scotland and its people (I have Scottish blood in me) but it's to get a reaction. It's the same with skin colour. In a way it probably doesn't come from a racist area, more often its just guaranteed to get a response.

Irishshako, Whitejock, Doc and 2 others like this.

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In regards to the racist comments, I’ve seen some and they’re bad. One tweet said forget the three lions the three N***ers cost us the game.

The fact is, take the knee for the next ten years, the person who tweeted that will feel the same in 10 years time.

The only way to change that kind of behaviour is to educate, sit them in a room with with those players or people who’ve had racial abuse and let them know how they feel.

Tweeting that kind of racism feeds those who do jump on the bandwagon, it feeds flakes, it gives them ammunition

12. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Yes best team won and england went negative second half. Italy won another shootout after missing same last penos. We failed and that is that. Man utd lost us the euros

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Italy missed 2 penalties so how shyt were we to miss 3. A joke of a shootout at this level. I watched Man Utd lose the Europa League 12-11 which means they lost even after scoring 11 pens on the bounce. Sorry but Southgate is to blame and he took the credit for winning he should take the shyt for that poor performance last night, and not changing tactics or players. Mount was crap and not there, Sterling was crap mostly and not in the game much, Sancho should have been brought on instead of Sacko and Grealish on in place of Mount. Harry fkg Kane would not be fit enough to play for Leeds and any CF who doesnt even get into the opposition penalty once is waank or been told to play as a false No5. Knight Southgate? i would put him in stocks and oarade him around the country in place of the trophy he lost.

Sorry but the way this England team has been politicised is wrong. Talk about racism, skin colour, they are all English players yet even the pundits and our sports journos gobbing off about race and bending the knee. A very disappointing end to great tournament/opportunity

Makemstine Roger and OLOF like this.
  14. Whitejock

***BREAKING NEWS***

UEFA officials have noticed that Italy used a player that was yellow carded two games ago. He should have missed the last two games.

UEFA officials could disqualify Italy from Euro 2020, meaning England could become euro champions!

This news is official and can be checked on the BBC website.

It was brought to the attention of the chairman of UEFA only 25 minutes ago.

Carlsberg don't do statuses, but if they did, this would be the best status of the Euro 2020!

15. Whitejock

16. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

Great tournament for England, ranked 3rd European team in the world rankings but finished second. I call that a successful effort not a failure.

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Well the media and some stupid England footballers have managed to make this tournament all about politics, diversity and racism. Yes the whole tournament is now mired in this shyt and all because the England team decided to take the knee, ghis tournament will now be forever known as the one where politics took over.

Mings slagging off Priti Patel was yet another pointless racist tweet, yes a racist tweet from a footballer. Patel had said before the tournament started that taking a knee was stupid and wasnt about fighting racism. So Mings then blames her for all the trolling on social media. Sorry Minger but you lot took the knee when hardly any other country did and you made politics a thing in football.

Twitter isnt the country and a few racist yobs having a go on twitter doesnt mean the country is racist. Inthink we can all agree that the USA has the most twitter users. Well only 6% of the USA population are on twitter and if you look at the Uk you will find even less than 6% and thats one of the big failings of the Labour Party because they think twitter is where the people are. Er no the people are nowhere near Labour and football and footballers are about to find that out and they wont like it.

18. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

Interesting couple of comments, was Southgate looking for a headline along with the FA, it wouldn't surprise me in the least
    IMG-20210713-WA0000.jpg IMG-20210713-WA0001.jpg

Irishshako, Doc and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  19. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Irishshako and OLOF like this.
  20. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

What took you so long ?

Whitejock likes this.