1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

European Super League

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Tramore Ranger, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just saw this on BBC website, now it may be a total load of bollox as it is sourced from The Sun and off course there have been denials a plenty, but would it be a good thing if the so called "Big 5" from the Premier League buggered off to play with their mates in Europe.......

Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35707372

2. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

As long as they lost the ability to play in the English and European cup competitions I would be happy.

By the way, who are the big 5 these days?

3. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apparently it's the clubs currently in 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th and 11th.......:emoticon-0100-smile

4. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

QPR, VĂ¥lerenga, Denver Broncos, East Fife and to be decided.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  5. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Of course this will happen at some stage, that is where the Champions league has been heading for years. It's what all of Europe's top clubs are wanting if they won't openly come out and say it.

6. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

The problem for these 'big' clubs is they are used to winning in their own little leagues, if they all go into a big league how will they cope with losing and being also-rans by November? If 16 clubs form the league at least 12 of them will have nothing to play for a short way into the season, who will want to watch Man U v Inter if they are both in the bottom half of the league? A closed shop with no relegation would be a total bore for the average fan

I always remember a while back when Newcastle beat Barcelona 3-2 and Asprilla scored the hat-trick, it was rightly described as one of the great Champion's League games, full house, great atmosphere. Neither side qualified from that group and when they met in the return match on a rainy night in Barcelona the crowd was less than 20,000 in the Nou Camp, that's what will happen in such a Super League if it ever started, fickle fans would soon desert a league with no traditional or historic rivalry if their team was losing every week...

7. KentGaz

KentGaz Well-Known Member

It'd be interesting when/if it happens if it is a breakaway league and the players are banned from competitions organized by the ruling bodies (FIFA, UEFA etc) and the clubs are warned if it all goes Pete Tong they'll all have to start from the lowest tier of football in their own countries. It wont happen but it'd be nice to see

8. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

what was served up last night (City v. Liverpool) would shame the Vanarama League. Liverpool played 60 minutes without a recognised striker and thrashed a City side that should be ashamed of themselves. That was QPResque at our poorest. One thing for sure, if they do split from the Premiership, I'd give 'em 2 years max. before they come crawling back

9. GroveRanger

GroveRanger Well-Known Member

The super league will depend on who is interested in sponsoring it. I am certain there were the same concerns when the Premier League started but Sky has pumped billions into it so far, if they wanted to turn their attention to a Europe-wide uber club league I could see it happening.

Their problem would be potential shrinkage in their domestic revenues. If you were say a Stoke fan I am sure paying to have Sky now makes sense but if your team is never going to be invited to the bigger league why would you bother? I don't have Sky because watching other teams play is of no interest to me and if we are in the Premier League I'd go to games or catch up on MOTD. The likes of Sky and BT would need to take a good look at the financial forecasts before jumping in with a new set up. If we think our clubs are going to be alienated in the UK I am sure the feelings are mutual across France, Germany, Spain etc

At least with the current league set up you can come from the lower leagues to the top, look no further than Man City, Leicester, Bournemouth and Swansea who all graced the third tier or lower in the not so distant past. When would anyone ever consider Bournemouth to be included in a super league? Nowt against them by the way, just using them as an example. QPR stand zero chance as well.

10. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

The so-called "big" clubs should be careful what they wish for... What makes them "big" and eligible for entry to the Champions League? Winning a competition (Premiership, etc.) that validates their right to enter it next year. It won't interest the football fan so much if the same teams play in a closed shop every year where they don't have to prove their right to be there.

However, US professional sport has worked like this at the highest level for a long time and makes a lot of money for their owners. Those teams aren't "clubs" affiliated to their local area from the owners perspective, they are "franchises" that can move elsewhere if the business case stacks up. It's TV entertainment with the fans at the stadium being part of the supporting cast.

Hmmm, maybe we're dumb enough for it work here, too, but I won't be watching.

11. TimPR78

TimPR78 Well-Known Member

Hopefully if it happens it can take the plastic supporting, half and half scarf buying tossers with it. Might be nice to play Barca one week Paris the next but actually getting to games would be a nightmare and a touch expensive for the majority of supporters. Personally wouldn't really have any interest in watching it but taking away the clubs with all the money might make the top league here a bit more competitive (this season aside ;) )

12. TimPR78

Also wouldn't surprise me to see it go pay for view to gain extra revenue

13. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Would the English teams still be in it,if we pull out of the EU after the referendum.Can't be in a European Super League,if you ain't part of Europe?

14. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

That Scum is considered as being bigger than Tottenham is quiet laughable.
    Bring it on, I say!

15. cor blymie

typical in voter me thinks<doh>

16. TimPR78

Typical out voter 'They are taking our jobs, whilst not paying taxes and all being on benefits' <doh>

17. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

No Swiss teams in it then

18. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

It won't happen.

sb_73 likes this.
  19. cor blymie

greed, anything is possible

20. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

I think it will happen, so can you imagine that a top prem game would be Stoke v Leicester