1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

European Super League ... and greedy owners

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Apr 18, 2021.

1. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Peterborough too - they must love it in League One, they've been here for donkey's years.

Having said that, they are looking good for an automatic place this season...

2. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

I’d still like the naughty teams to be thrown out of the European semi finals.

I’d put all the North East teams in, they’ve suffered enough recently

Ken Shabby likes this.
  3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I'm tempted to agree with you about a punishment for the 6 rogue Clubs.

But I think a serious sanction like being kicked out of the Champion's League would be counter-productive.
    It would create a backlash among their fans, and possibly even sympathy for the Super League concept.

The thin excuse the rogue Clubs have come out with (that UEFA is too overbearing and unreasonable) would be given credibility if UEFA or other authorities now beat them with a big stick while their pants are down and they've surrendered.

Those 6 Clubs will want to forget their humiliation quickly.
    But fans of all other Clubs won't let them forget it. Not ever I think.

I'm not saying everything should be forgiven and forgotten like it never happened at official levels.
    The rogue 6 Clubs must understand their disgraceful action has NOT strengthened their bargaining position with UEFA.
    Their snouts are NOT deeper in the trough because of this shameful episode.

But I don't think there is much to be gained in the short term by severely punishing the rogue 6 right now.
    They should be told though, that they are on report now and are being seriously watched.
    They have been very, very bad.

ForestHillBilly and Ken Shabby like this.
  4. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

No sign of the Spanish teams folding as it stands. there's a movement by Barcelona fans to get the Socios to vote on whether they want this - be interesting to see if they fancy some more money to spend, which I would vaguely expect, as opposed to a genuine competetive league. If there are two clubs who believe they have a divine right to all the trophies and all the cash, its Barça and Real Madrid. But the news this morning was that they will be restructuring the Super league with the Italians. At some point, daylight may creep in and they see how what they are staring at is an upclass version of the Anglo-Italian cup, but for the moment, they are still dreaming of more money.
    While I guess that punishing the clubs for the terrible idea they tried to foist on football may be a backward step, giving them more money would be even worse - you can't reward their behaviour. Greed was the foundation of this insipid little plan. Time these clubs accepted they are part of a wider picture, and the TV money needs to be split more equally, and more needs to go down the pyramid. I freely admit I was sort of hoping they would stick to their guns, get slung out of every major competition and we could see Arsenal meeting Chelsea in the South Midlands Alliance cup in front of 100 fans. It would be great if football could learn from this. Blame Bury for not being able to pay their debts, and then throw more money at Man Utd to buy overpriced overpaid players, and hear them whine they need more? This isn't rocket science.

lardiman and ForestHillBilly like this.
  5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I absolutely agree the rogue 6 Clubs should not get one extra penny because of the way they have behaved.
    Their owners need to know they are not wanted. And they've lost the few friends they did once have.

6. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Make them sit on the naughty step.

Smudger603 and Ken Shabby like this.
  7. The Penguin

I can't help feeling that the whole idea will return at some point unless there is a change in ownership of the top clubs. Multi-billionaires can never have enough money, they always want more, and now that they have smelt it they will regard the whole episode as a failure of PR rather than a bad idea.

Ken Shabby and Butterfield like this.
  8. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

German style, 51% fan ownership is required IMO

9. Ken Shabby

Interesting item on the BBC about the new Chsmpions League format. One thing that stood out was that one of the new places goes on coefficient. Currently it would go to Liverpool even though West Ham are above them in the table. Seems like UEFA are only the good guys when a real bunch of tw@ts try and grab the money. Now we are back to business as usual.

10. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Of course, this cobblers has not surfaced and crumbled inside 72 hours.

11. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

ALL about money.

I'm happy to be very detached from the money league/s.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  12. Ken Shabby

Did anyone see that quote from Florentino Perez? When he explained that the Super league would be for the good of football, someone asked him if it would be possible for a team like Lens to get into play. He replied that for lens, the benefit would be that they could sell their best players to Super League teams for good money.

Someone should check out if Katrien Meire is dead, as her unquiet spirit seems to be channeling itself through the president of Real Madrid.

lardiman likes this.
  13. Ken Shabby

And another pearl. Apparently without the Super League, real Madrid won't be able to complete their projects to sigh Haaland from Dortmund and MBappe from PSG:
    Such terrible hardship - I'm welling up. Can Charlton offer them Bogle?

14. The Penguin

Maybe we could have a whip round?

15. The Penguin

"I've been in football for 20 years", boasts 74-year-old Perez:emoticon-0130-devil.

16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

This kind of arrogant superiority is an attitude that makes my blood boil.
    You're right - Katrien Meire was just as bad as this.

Insulting fans and everything they believe in, and either not caring or actually finding it amusing.

17. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Florentino Perez is seriously embarrassing himself - and the rogue 6 English Clubs <laugh>

He insists the English Clubs were gagging for the Super League <doh>
    He insists the Super League still exists, even though Barcelona & Real Madrid are the only 2 teams left in it :emoticon-0177-toivo

"Who's playing who in the Super League this week?"
    "Real Madrid vs Barcelona... again."
    "What? That's the 15th time they've played each other this season isn't it?"
    "Yep. Got to admit, the £25 pay-per-view and three hour match build-up is just beginning to lose it's novelty value."

18. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

TBH, this is why I dismissed the hysteria on Monday. The public outcry from UEFA and SKY was never about saving football it was about maintaining their position as the paymasters. The UEFA deal is nothing more than an opportunity to earn more more, whilst the knock on effect will be that teams in lower leagues again suffer.
    Solidarity my arse...

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

UEFA probably think this Super League debacle has raised them higher in the estimation of millions of football fans <doh>

All that proves is that UEFA is only marginally less detached from the feelings of real football fans than the billionaire owners of the rogue 6 Clubs.
    And nobody is fooled into believing Sky acts out of love for football.

But in one key regard, UEFA and Sky are different from those Franchise muppets.
    UEFA and Sky are not willing to cross the red line between fair competition (as a principle, financial inequality aside)
    and non-competitive exhibition matches in a closed league.

Sky would cross that line if they thought there was enough money in it.
    But (unlike the billionaires) Sky does at least pay some attention to which way the wind is blowing.

The most infuriating part of it for me was the idea of mid-table Clubs with big stadiums (Arsenal & Spurs) bringing back ill-gotten £billions from this Super League, and using it to buy £100m+ players in order to buy advancement in the Premier League and unbalance it even further.

That is absolutely treacherous and unforgivable.

One hopeful thing though :emoticon-0157-sun: is the push now in the UK to look at the German model for Club ownership.
    Even if Boris and the Cabinet get bored of this idea after a while and try to damp it down, I don't think fans here will let them.
    We can sense an opportunity here to really change the Club ownership issue for the better.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Ken Shabby likes this.
  20. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

Whilst I agree to a point about SKY, if the ESL had got off the ground they would have been after a slice of the TV rights without doubt.
    Charlatans, the lot of them!

The club ownership point is an interesting one. I will reserve judgment and revisit this in 12 months. I fear little will change.